Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's a big multicellular thunderstorm about 200km wide. There are numerous active cells inside it now. Whether it'll still be active by the time it reaches the coast, we'll see...

Yea i'm not too sure of the exact thresholds for defining a MCC, but it sure isn't that far away from one. Very good representation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

dacogawa wrote: »
    Nice sparks about 150km of the south coast now, I wonder will it hit the east ???

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb
    BBC news 24 graphics has it missing the wexford/wicklow coast by about 20kms and heading up the irish sea for nw England and north wales.
    Blast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Power gone here for last 15 mins. Any lightning strikes showing up?
    Can't check without broadband!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    I'm sure I heard a long rumble of thunder while out 15 minutes ago. Anyone else in Cork catch it?

Didn't hear any thunder..

You sure it wasn't a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Birtles wrote: »
    Power gone here for last 15 mins. Any lightning strikes showing up?
    Can't check without broadband!!

Nothing on land, just out at sea though at the moment. Rain looks fairly heavy west of the city though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

whitebriar wrote: »
    BBC news 24 graphics has it missing the wexford/wicklow coast by about 20kms and heading up the irish sea for nw England and north wales.
    Blast :(

Had a look on raintoday.co.uk and I agree. It is coming into view and looks to miss the coast for sure based on current trajectory. Pity. Looks potent.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Nothing on land, just out at sea though at the moment. Rain looks fairly heavy west of the city though.

Yep, very heavy. Just about able to drive. Lasted 20 mins or so easing off now.

Still no power

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Didn't hear any thunder..

You sure it wasn't a plane?

I didn't think it was, but suppose if nobody else heard it then it probably wasn't thunder!

Oh well, soon....

263993.GIF

That line of showers west of Limerick seems to be finally getting more intense.

Cloud heights. The dark brown spots are 12km.

PPvPKn7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Something decent for us down here in Carlow for the early hours of tomorrow.
    It tracks North East to Dublin later on.
    49F11F480F7E474389A157A7514CE7DE-0000324468-0003319422-01153L-2D89A8666C5E4AD3BF95611A4B4C1B44.jpg

• Advertisement

Tony Gilbert has a theory on what went wrong :
    A significant southward dive of the upper jet stream since last forecast would suggest much less vertical shear over Ireland.

Look what we have here , this could give us what we want.

Look at it at 1500 hrs

Infra-Red_zps73884bc1.jpg

And 1700 hrs

Infra-Red2_zps07899897.jpg

Lightning_zpsbf5f43ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tony Gilbert has a theory on what went wrong :

Would only happen in Ireland ofcourse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

SQUALL LINE now clearly visible on radar.

Looks like the South west and west U.K are going to get the brunt of the system building up now off the south coast.

Follow the U.K met radar and you can see it push over there.

Typical ! GRrrrr

My only hope of seeing a real thunderstorm is in the south of Germany in a few weeks ! I'll have the camera handy.

Ireland and Thunderstorms ? forget it !

There's a cell just off Kinsale producing some lightning in the past few minutes.

No shortage of boring old cloud for Ireland, weather less weather as I call it, just dull and boring.

No shortage of boring old cloud for Ireland, weather less weather as I call it, just dull and boring.

We get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Orange Flood Alert just issued for Cork..

Severe Weather Alert for the Cork area: Code Level Orange
    Over 50 mm of rain possible in the next 24 hours in the southwest of county Cork and between 25 and 40 mm in other parts of the county.
    Source: Met Éireann

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's all she wrote for the drought then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Just heard some faint thunder here in Cork. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The sky to the west of me(towards Galway) has been pitch black for the last hour. The clouds do not seem to be getting any closer even though they appear to be move north east on the radar. And the radar shows heavy precipitation over me.......it's imminent id say ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    The sky to the west of me(towards Galway) has been pitch black for the last hour. The clouds do not seem to be getting any closer even though they appear to be move north east on the radar. And the radar shows heavy precipitation over me.......it's imminent id say ....
    That would be the squall line moving in a north/north easterly direction. Just a bit of rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Over 50 mm of rain possible in the next 24 hours in the southwest of county Cork and between 25 and 40 mm in other parts of the county.

where did you see this warning, i cant see it on their website or twitter feed. i hope we dont get any of the 40mm, im still enjoying the good weather here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Doesn't seem much on the radar or sat24 satellite going that way, if anything it seems to be clearing up and bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

where did you see this warning, i cant see it on their website or twitter feed. i hope we dont get any of the 40mm, im still enjoying the good weather here

Its here http://www.corkcity.ie/sw/

Some nasty rain heading into South West England.

UKRadar_zps74c68029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lumi wrote: »

so its just for Cork then and no mention of 50mm, when i saw other parts of the country getting 25-40mm, i taught the good weather might actually be over but panic over now :D

Ok just got a weather warning on my phone regarding rain :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Big black clouds rolling over Wicklow town gone quiet windy too few specs of rain startin to fall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

That narrow band of rain is over me for the past hour and I can safely confirm that its nothing close to being a squall line! A bit of drizzle on and off, the intensity is actually less than what the radar is suggesting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement