Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

700 strikes in the past hour alone!

So depressing. I'm so close to it yet so far

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

eastmayo wrote: »
    Ya seen that from knock airport.any thunder with that shower?

Not that I could hear but I could be too far to the east near cloonfad...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Weathering wrote: »
    So depressing. I'm so close to it yet so far

Could be worse, stuck in work and this is happening less than 20 mile away from me **** sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thundery downpour in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Harps wrote: »
    Really impressive storm in Northern Ireland at the moment, not too often we get storms that intense on this island, shame there's no one from around there on boards

Nice t-storm in Ballymena according to my sis. Sunny but humid here on east coast but looking out over the Irish sea towards western Scotland some cracker clouds bubbling up over that direction. They look class rising so high

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Nice mostly Sunny day albeit a bit breezy. Not expecting any action here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some people say you don't get good thunderstorms in Ireland eh?

yJPjdQ6.jpg

(10 of those are from a small storm in Scotland though :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wall to wall sunshine here in wexford very sparse cloud cover, 23.2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Wow, This looks intense!

(edit - Sorry maquiladora, was too slow fiddling with the image capture. Your one looks better any how! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057000326

few pics of the funnel taken on my phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I reakon you should print that out onto the finest canvas and frame it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cracker of a line of storms up north.

264124.png

Pity its not dark for them to enjoy it at its best!

Appears to be missing Belfast :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Holy SH**Balls BatmaN!
    264132.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Reasonably heavy downpour here in Castletroy, Limerick for the past ~15 min. I haven't heard any rumbles from it though I am inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

There has been pretty much continuous thunder and lightning along with rain here for roughly half an hour - still going but further away. I took a few videos, if they end up any way decent I'll share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Some people say you don't get good thunderstorms in Ireland eh?

Just for comparison, does anyone remember what the strike rate was for the thunderstorm on Tuesday afternoon in Galway.
    I thought it was decent enough compared to the last few years in Ireland but I've seen far bigger ones in France and the US before.

Ive a feeling that storm up North is similar to storms on the continent alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The cell just east of Ballina looks like it could pop a spark or two soon.

Clearly visible mammatus clouds over Derry behind that large cell that has just passed.

Chasing from the office today ;)

vDltp1Kh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Quite a defined hook has developed and looks like passing over the Portadown to Lurgan area. Anyone around these areas keeping their eyes peeled, preferably with a video camera at the ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Wtnessed large storm and funnel over derry from buncrana. about 3.00pm. thought i videod it but camera on blink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just for comparison, does anyone remember what the strike rate was for the thunderstorm on Tuesday afternoon in Galway.

We didn't do it right at all in Galway. What were we thinking not immediately getting out the strike maps?:)
    It seemed like much more than one every ten mins to me though and lasted for an hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Strike rate per hour 1002 at 3.45

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize the were some storms over Scotland and N England.

Another view as they move away from Derry towards Coleraine.

jU5RTB2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We didn't do it right at all in Galway. What were we thinking got immediately getting out the strike maps?:)
    It seemed like much more than one every ten mins to me though and lasted for an hr.

Don't know about you but I was too busy enjoying the show... :)

Hope the storms move further east. Warm sunshine and muggy feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I thought it was decent enough compared to the last few years in Ireland but I've seen far bigger ones in France and the US before.

Ive a feeling that storm up North is similar to storms on the continent alright.

Here's the map for Tuesday, some decent storms about but today in the North is on another level!

sferic_20130723.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Looks like the north did pretty well on tuesday too.
    Antrim & Derry seem to be the Thunderstorm capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think the galway storm was rather tame in comparison.
    http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp?ReportDate=23%2F07%2F2013

Snap- Harps beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Here is one of the videos I took today. Sorry its not the greatest, I was using my phone so the lightning is hard to see but you can take my word that there was loads of it, fork lighting too. I have a second longer and perhaps better video I'll upload now.

• Advertisement

Something is brewing to my west. Clouds towering up in sky. Might see something on coast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement