Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rain just beginning here on rural edge of D15. I like the way this cell popped up, bodes well for the evening.

PS Torrential now

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Few rumbles and the odd flash in d3. Does no one count Mississippi between flash and thunder anymore? I counted 9. Which I was always led to believe was nine miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

couple of rumbles over Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Watched this cell develop after it passed me! Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Few rumbles and the odd flash in d3. Does no one count Mississippi between flash and thunder anymore? I counted 9. Which I was always led to believe was nine miles.

Its a lot closer, more like 3km - IIRC the speed of sound in air is ~330 metres per second, so 3 seconds = 1 kilometre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Heavy rain and thunder in swords Co. Dublin now, and for the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Could we have a repeat performance of last night tonight in the east?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Watch it at Dublin airport at the moment. As said already, same some planes land and take off much to my surprise. Very heavy rain and a few flashes/rumbles. Was hoping for more looks like its passing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's gone quiet here now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Thunder in DN22 now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can hear the constant thunder to my south now and dark skies, still hot sun here, glorious sun over past 4 to 5 hours. 22C

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Just had the craziest rain ive ever seen in ballyfermot. With thunder and lightning as an added bonus..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

I can see the Ryanair flight FR9907 circling over North Co Dublin. It must be waiting for the cell to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Further spells of very heavy and thundery rain this evening in many parts of Ulster (especially in central and eastern parts) and also in many parts of north Leinster, with a continuing risk of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Scary sky over kildalkey west of trim in Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Count and multiply by 0.3 to get km from you. Therefore ten seconds = 3 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of something in Galway seems to be an active cell to my South moving North

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Lightning a few kms outside Kilcock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

We had very loud thunder here in Summerhill with plenty of sheet lightning, up until a few minutes ago. Seems to have eased off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Possible hook on that storm moving along the Monaghan border?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Pang wrote: »
    We had very loud thunder here in Summerhill with plenty of sheet lightning, up until a few minutes ago. Seems to have eased off now.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not a cloud in the sky all day here in south wexford.

One of the nicest days of the summer. Lower humidity, not too high temperatures and a nice breeze. The rain and thunder last night really cleared the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Harps wrote: »
    Possible hook on that storm moving along the Monaghan border?

Yes Harps I could see to my SE cloud rotation but loss sight of it soon after. We had a wicked storm for the last hour and half the best in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Count and multiply by 0.3 to get km from you. Therefore ten seconds = 3 km.

Yeah, I'll keep dividing by 3 and rounding rather than multiplying by 0.3, thanks very much! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky Digital does not handle these storms at all, no signal with each and every storm, thankfully FreeView and SaorView still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Great view to my north of the very active cell over Southern Meath. Lightning every three to four minutes.

Over kildalkey co Meath, lookin south 20:00

crazy stuff going on here, rain like ive never seen it before (except in Spain) lots of lightning and loud bangs of thunder.

Gonzo wrote: »
    crazy stuff going on here, rain like ive never seen it before (except in Spain) lots of lightning and loud bangs of thunder.

Where are you seeing it? It's stopped here in trim

• Advertisement

it's starting to ease here now but it was all over here past 30 minutes or so with thunder building from the south over past hour. starting to clear to my north now but still raining heavy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement