Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Gonzo wrote: »
    crazy stuff going on here, rain like ive never seen it before (except in Spain) lots of lightning and loud bangs of thunder.

:D pleas say it's heading this way D15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looking NW from Swords, maybe some rotation on the left flank

Taken at 2035

IMG_0477_zps0f59e325.jpg

IMG_0476_zps16d1795b.jpg

Radar image

Capture_zps4ead5eeb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Just got power back in south Meath. Had a fairly intense storm with a good few bolts of lightning directly overhead. Started raining over an hour ago and still lashing now!

The sky was exceptionally dark just before it arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys when your posting will you say what area your in not your home, its silly saying terrific storm here and not saying where it is

Guys when your posting will you say what area your in not your home, its silly saying terrific storm here and not saying where it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Rushah

Bsal wrote: »
    Looking NW from Swords, maybe some rotation on the left flank

Taken at 2035

IMG_0477_zps0f59e325.jpg

IMG_0476_zps16d1795b.jpg

Radar image

Capture_zps4ead5eeb.png
    There was definite rotation in this (was standing under it), got a good pic of the wall cloud too. Will upload later.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What did we do to p*s* off the thunder gods in the Athlone area dark clouds all evening and not even a drop of rain:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Few Showers bubbling up off south coast??

15977_10151560292855878_462578959_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Nice looking cell on the Meath border and there looks like a new cell firing up over the Wicklow mountains too

Capture2_zpsb1077438.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Eh I said south meath, look at the radar and you'll see where - Gonzo's location is given as Dunshaughlin, Meath - look at his sig. p :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

looks like the storm is heading up towards me(East Cavan-North Meath area)...i will try to take a video...i failed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just a heads up to anyone who has seen funnel clouds/tornados today, I'm sure the guys are TORRO would be glad to get your reports.

You can submit them here :

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/report_form.php

rc28 wrote: »
    Eh I said south meath, look at the radar and you'll see where - Gonzo's location is given as Dunshaughlin, Meath - look at his sig. p :confused:

I am only saying this to people who dont post a location of the storm , thanks for posting your location

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

And pics please too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

cyclops999 wrote: »
    What did we do to p*s* off the thunder gods in the Athlone area dark clouds all evening and not even a drop of rain:mad:

I'm near Moate, we had a nice storm around six this evening just south of us. It's a fine line with thunder. As elusive as snow in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Few flashes in navan towards drogheda looked more lively

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I cant believe whats happening here, there is Thunder and lightening a couple of miles away to my right and to my left and yet over the house we have a Strip of white cloud and blue sky :eek:

I'm just a couple of miles away from slane, rathkenny area

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ms NMeath

A few rumbles in North Meath sky recently - very dark too. Birds gone quiet and dog behind the sofa ........!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Lightning around the Castleblayney area now according to my folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

heard a few rattles of thunder coming from every area around me...i have some photos of a very mean looking sky.
    will upload them soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its not gonna happen in Naas anyway, although we did see that cell develop earlier that gave so much pleasure to Meath! It rolled overhead towards you and no matter what thunder dance I did, it kept going and growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I no longer care about thunder.... after seeing THAT sunset tonight! I hope you were outside looking at it because I havent seen one more beautiful in all my life.

Took a few photos before my camera died but they dont do it near enough justice at all. I'll post them up later regardless

But the setting sun was peeking through some large clouds, but the way it illuminated the whole sky and all the clouds around and the beams of light reflecting around the sky...... just amazing! it looked like the northern lights, but during the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Even if your location is shown under your username on the main site, your location does not show up on mobile version of this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Video from earlier,more thunder than lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I no longer care about thunder.... after seeing THAT sunset tonight! I hope you were outside looking at it because I havent seen one more beautiful in all my life.

Took a few photos before my camera died but they dont do it near enough justice at all. I'll post them up later regardless

But the setting sun was peeking through some large clouds, but the way it illuminated the whole sky and all the clouds around and the beams of light reflecting around the sky...... just amazing! it looked like the northern lights, but during the day :)

Seen that sunset amazing colours no camera with me Glasson Viewing Point would have been the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seen that sunset amazing colours no camera with me Glasson Viewing Point would have been the place to be.

I parked up on the bridge over the shannon on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UKASF forecast for tomorrow. A slight risk covering most areas.

xpdiGiZ.jpg
    Showers/thunderstorms may be ongoing through the early hours across Ulster in particular. Otherwise through Friday, diurnal heating and cool air aloft will generate some 800-900 J/kg CAPE, with scattered showers and a few thunderstorms developing. Shear remains fairly poor, best towards the southeast with the greatest proximity to the jet aloft. However, a few convergence zones are expected to develop which may promote more widespread/long-lived showers/thunderstorms - particularly across parts of northern Scotland, Moray Firth through to the northwest Highlands, and another notable zone through northern and western parts of Ulster and into northern Connaught.

Estofex forecast, same as it was for today except the 50% lightning area is now over all of the island.

4qcVNiM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Got to watch the thunderstorm out back in work , thunder and rain were awesome! , couldn't get much of the lightning on camera though as it was still a bit too bright.

Anyhow , here 3 shots before i went to work :)

0ymn.jpg

Wall cloud
    6xcy.jpg

Needle Funnel
    7zmk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Just look at that big monster exploding in SW France now....

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just curious but there seems to be height gain in the clouds over east ireland atm and down on the south coast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement