Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just curious but there seems to be height gain in the clouds over east ireland atm and down on the south coast

Hmm, I'm not really seeing it.

http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&co=true&li=false

Can see that over Wales/England though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look at that storm over Bordeaux!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Wow is all, jaysus if it gets any bigger it'll be the size of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

UKASF forecast for tomorrow. A slight risk covering most areas.

xpdiGiZ.jpg

Estofex forecast, same as it was for today except the 50% lightning area is now over all of the island.

4qcVNiM.png

Mag you must be running on fumes at this stage after all your input this week, greatly appreciated by the way.
    What do you make of Sundays weather, very nice cape chart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Look at that storm over Bordeaux!

Yeah, was watching with amazement on sat24. As Ian said the other day, the loaded gun situation.:eek:

lolie wrote: »
    Mag you must be running on fumes at this stage after all your input this week, greatly appreciated by the way.
    What do you make of Sundays weather, very nice cape chart.

Yeah Sunday could be an active day, but things can change on the day and make a big differeance so I wouldn't be looking that far ahead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Only webcam i can get at the moment. They main webcam is offline.

Better one!

http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/ville/vue/4567-france-aquitaine-bordeaux-pont-bacalan-bastide

plenty of flashes on that cam :)

Thats an unreal amount of lightning. Its like a flash every second!

for sure - I'll be curious to see how many flashes per hour it gets on the auld counter thingy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Maq have you got the link for Estofex forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

plenty of flashes on that cam :)

Hell yeah! Sitting back here watching it, wishing I was on that bridge right now :D

Zi3CQjD.png

sI5Rb92.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

the sky to the east
    stormclouds003.jpg
    stormclouds008.jpg
    the sky to the north
    stormclouds014.jpg

edit..sorry if the images are too big...i dont know how to make it smaller.

It's just showing up as a little squall-line on the Met radar but that was an amazing shower that just passed over Dundalk.

Those in the northwest, keep an eyes out again today for funnel clouds/weak tornados. :)

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/98876-convective-outlook-fri-26th-july-2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I'm seeing very rapid cloud development in north Dublin in past half hour out my window. Would be great to do a stop-motion of the way they are pluming upward. This is something we also missed from previous summers, that sort of classic convection, those lovely fluffy white cumulous clouds billowing upward after a clear morning, while the heatwave may have broken it's still lovely weather, the cold fronts aren't smashing in with the horrible rain from the atlantic. It has been the nice rain if you know what I mean. I say hold on to the humidity, the break will be all the sweeter if it comes with summer's end. Imagine a lovely fresh day in early september as the leaves begin to turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Showers in south Wicklow heading directly north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Very Heavy Rain and Thunder in Dublin 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I'm seeing very rapid cloud development in north Dublin in past half hour out my window. Would be great to do a stop-motion of the way they are pluming upward. This is something we also missed from previous summers, that sort of classic convection, those lovely fluffy white cumulous clouds billowing upward after a clear morning, while the heatwave may have broken it's still lovely weather, the cold fronts aren't smashing in with the horrible rain from the atlantic. It has been the nice rain if you know what I mean. I say hold on to the humidity, the break will be all the sweeter if it comes with summer's end. Imagine a lovely fresh day in early september as the leaves begin to turn.

Yep ! , cumulus towers all around ... some nice motion in them too! :)

Not bad for 11am! :)

264233.png

Slightly better CAPE and lift on the 06Z GFS for this afternoon/evening. A little bit of extra juice for whatever pops up.

Ulster and north midland areas looking like the best places today, could see convergance storms in Connacht later in the day. Scattered risk elsewhere I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bucketing down here in KK. Can anyone tell me if its producing sparks? Cant check from here in the course.

Edit: Informed by a friend there was a rumble

Here is a picture of that shower looking down south from North Kilkenny.

http://i.imgur.com/DCzOTs8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Nice line of showers coming onto the SW coast soon. Hopefully it may develop when it gets over the warm land. Some sparks for Munster later today?

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

impressive lightning map from met.ie for yesterday. never seen such a concentration of strikes over a large area.

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some big towers going up early in the day. Heavy downpour in CC about 30 minutes ago.

There is some potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

There was a clap of thunder here in Coolock about a half an hour ago anyone else hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Bucketing in Dublin City Centre.

chris2007 wrote: »
    There was a clap of thunder here in Coolock about a half an hour ago anyone else hear it?

I've only see lightning detected in NI so far this morning.

Got some heavy looking stuff on the way to Athlone on the radar. Any chance of it bringing some action ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Big towers shooting up right above me. Looking good this early. Wanna see a good storm. Has that look about it

• Advertisement

Downpours around Oak Park Carlow was on the Bike and got saturated, but that's part of the fun cycling.

No thunder at all, the sky looks bad enough but nothing so far.

The showers seem to be intensifying as they reach Carlow Kildare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement