Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bone dry in this part of east Galway since Tuesday morning more or less. Keeps missing us BUT just had a massive rumble of thunder to south / south east of us. Looks like it may just miss us again !

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Dub 9 and 3 not coping well on drive home - water bursting through the Tarmac in 3 different spots. Griffith impassable almost (again, when they gonna fix that? )

Old swords rd at junction of Santry ave - nightmare.

Home safe though - and after a flat tyre too. !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 randonio14

Well poppintree was in the safe zone today... Right on the edge of that thunderstorm.. Almost no heavy rain at all... just moderate.... i could hear the rumbles of thunder though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Great thunder here in D5 as soon as one rumble ends, the next starts

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Funny. Nothing developing on the west side of the Galway city either. Wind has died off too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

It must have been well over 30 strikes i counted in last 15 20 mins in that cell over dublin. what a beaut! its still raging on like a beast, i can just hear a chorus of thunder now as it drifts north of me.. I hope not too much damage was cause by the torrent that pissed from it but it has left me wanting more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Incrediable fork lightning. More potent than the previous thunderstorm 1hr ago. Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Probably the best thunder since the thunder snow of 2010 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It must have been well over 30 strikes i counted in last 15 20 mins in that cell over dublin. what a beaut! its still raging on like a beast, i can just hear a chorus of thunder now as it drifts north of me.. I hope not too much damage was cause by the torrent that pissed from it but it has left me wanting more.

30 strikes and not one photo GTFO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Just left Dublin cc. Storm was impressive. Lots of surface water. Back in castleknock now and the sun is shining brightly and roads are bone dry. I love this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Am in Dublin 3. Sun splitting the stones and heavy rain with Thunder spilling down.....only in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I was watching the web cam coverage of the bridge in France last night with envy, glad to say I'm experiencing it at the minute in Lifford, Any updates on snow coming :D

jimmynokia wrote: »
    30 strikes and not one photo GTFO :D

I have been recoding with my vocal mic for the last 6 mins if that will do. I have no camera :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Big storm passed just to my east a while ago, plenty of flashes and CG forks visible. First time in years I've seen CG lightning

Serious storm in Letterkenny for the past while as well, getting reports of continuous thunder and flash flooding

Hail falling now in d5! was wondering when they would show ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

From somewhere in NI today, I don't know the location.

536181_10151565338101915_1068876859_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This is what Pembroke Road/Merrion Road is like, got caught in all that, never seen rain like it & I didn't have my good camera!!! :(

972073_10151594439593215_317409850_n.jpg

From somewhere in NI today, I don't know the location.

Could be wrong but looks like the Glenshane Pass

There was definite large scale rotation on the storm here earlier, I was looking out for any funnels but no luck

Almost looks like a supercell on radar!

mcmc.png

I'm glad that's over ! Lots of thunder and rain. East galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Another beautiful day in Athlone! Not a cloud in the sky, nor a breath of wind, nor a drop of rain!

Pure Utopia! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So glad i had a 500mm lens handy for this!! :D
    264331.png

264333.png

264332.png

264334.png

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

View from Dun Laoghaire at 5.30pm:)

storm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BQHfY_7CAAIudFR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

km79 wrote: »
    I'm glad that's over ! Lots of thunder and rain. East galway

what part of East Galway are you in , I went after the one to the West of Galway turned out to be a damp squip two rumbles, I saw the one in the East direction but with tea time traffic decided against going, Dam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fantastic pics guys.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    what part of East Galway are you in , I went after the one to the West of Galway turned out to be a damp squip two rumbles, I saw the one in the East direction but with tea time traffic decided against going, Dam
    Kiltullagh. East of Athenry. West of Loughrea ballinasloe .
    The worst of it actually went to the eat of us I reckon.
    Quick question for the experts. Does T&L ever leave a burning smell behind!!!
    I freaked out earlier. I got a smell in one of the rooms. Not exactly like burning. Kind of like something very overheated. I plugged everything in the house out. The smell passed a while after the shower .....
    There was no real lightning. Say one flash but very far away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I got caught out in a storm in Ibiza and there was close lightning, after one flash there was a strong smell of burning, thanks for coming back was there much lightning with you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement