Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭vickers209

Any more news from here?

The whole front of shopping center destroyed mace, pizza hut, chipper, Chinese chemists and gym upstairs all been closed by fire officer and power turned off Tesco closed early too.

all the incline from chemist was moved into Tesco fridges to keep it chilled.
    Word is that tesco will open tomorrow but only from the side entrance at the post office as the front is a no go zone.

Was told would be sent pics from friend working there but haven't received them yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Meanwhile in France today...

chasse-orage-xavier-delorme-26-juillet-2013-photo-1-supercellule.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

vickers209 wrote: »
    The whole front of shopping center destroyed mace, pizza hut, chipper, Chinese chemists and gym upstairs all been closed by fire officer and power turned off Tesco closed early too.

Word is that tesco will open tomorrow but only from the side entrance at the post office as the front is a no go zone.

Was told would be sent pics from friend working there but haven't received them yet

Wow, thanks a mil for update. Used to be my local shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Had a match in Headford, Galway today. There was a very black and threatening sky not far from off and you could see the rain hammering down in the distance but it thankfully stayed away from us. It was a lovely evening for the match overall.

Look at the size of that storm happening in France right now...

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr?ir=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

264373.GIF

might be a long shot but, it looks like some convection is picking up again in the south?

also lolz @ biscay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

WOW. Lucky Bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Thats mental, a carbon copy of last night if not bigger. Is that whats headin for England tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 lauriemont

Now that is a real storm. Reminds me of the storms in the states.

chasse-orage-xavier-delorme-26-juillet-2013-photo-1-supercellule.png[/QUOTE]

That picture looks familiar... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

@phonypony, I was waiting outside during that exact clap of thunder and it was the loudest, most abrupt roll of thunder I ever heard. It frightened the life out of me, more like an explosion than a roll of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

vickers209 wrote: »

Nothing on the news or online about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Has anyone got a link to the french webcam that was posted last night showing the bridge ?

Ok I found it

http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/ville/vue/4567-france-aquitaine-bordeaux-pont-bacalan-bastide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing on the news or online about this

agree I searched and could find no news organisation reporting this damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

This was posted on broadsheet.ie this evening, Dublin this evening

f4c866db965ac1e55b6d7a2760f22274__20130726065527.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

ok i took some photos last night but only noticed this one now..is this a funnel cloud location east cavan

stormclouds017.jpgd?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

264373.GIF

might be a long shot but, it looks like some convection is picking up again in the south?

also lolz @ biscay :pac:

Feck it. I was only on holidays in that area a few weeks back. Had some spectacular lightening then but this looks epic.

Estofex have issued a rare Level 3 for Saturday. I've only ever seen them do this once or twice before, and I think the first time this far north.

2013072806_201307262325_3_stormforecast.xml.png
    A major outbreak of severe storms is expected across regions of France, the Benelux countries and northwestern Germany. These storms may produce tornadoes, very large hail and widespread damaging wind gusts

A level 3 was issued across northern France, the Benelux and a part of northwest Germany for tornadoes, severe wind gusts, large or very large hail and excessive precipitation.
    It seems likely that a number of supercell storms will form near the boundary during the afternoon and evening. Any supercell storm will be able of producing large hail and damaging wind gusts. In addition, strong low level (0-1 km wind shear) indicates that a risk of tornadoes will exist, some of which may be significant tornadoes (F2 or stronger).

The storms will likely cluster overtime and may well evolve into a bowing systems producing swaths of damaging winds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we could see more thunderstorms all next week with slightly higher temperatures midweek and plenty of showers around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Estofex have issued a rare Level 3 for Saturday. I've only ever seen them do this once or twice before, and I think the first time this far north.

2013072806_201307262325_3_stormforecast.xml.png

That storm system has moved up from Biscay where it was evil enough. Its a beast on the radars and the satellite views. Currently just heading up towards Belgium now. Might even effect Kent and South East England. Its right overhead now in Paris. Webcams all seem to be down there too.

This webcam is working:
    http://www.earthcam.com/france/paris/

Constant lightening with barely a few seconds between each flash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Plenty of lightning at the Eiffel anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Just noticed some big convection underway over Dublin / Wicklow mountains

That storm over France is mad, I saw it build in the Biscay, another one brewing up there though doesn't look as severe.

We can only dream of storms like this.

I wonder why non of these storms make it this way any more ? I remember some of the real thunderstorms we had in the 80's, as far as I can remember maybe 86-89 and I remember the forecast saying they would move in from the Biscay, why doesn't this happen any more ?

That storm over France is mad, I saw it build in the Biscay, another one brewing up there though doesn't look as severe.

We can only dream of storms like this.

I wonder why non of these storms make it this way any more ? I remember some of the real thunderstorms we had in the 80's, as far as I can remember maybe 86-89 and I remember the forecast saying they would move in from the Biscay, why doesn't this happen any more ?

Things have to be aligned just right with the direction of the plume of hot air and a low to our south to get severe storm potential here. Back during the heatwave the models were actually showing that happening but then things changed. We've still ended up with some thundery days but nothing like what we could have gotten. Summer isn't over yet though.

Things have to be aligned just right with the direction of the plume of hot air and a low to our south to get severe storm potential here. Back during the heatwave the models were actually showing that happening but then things changed. We've still ended up with some thundery days but nothing like what we could have gotten. Summer isn't over yet though.

I wonder is it to do with the Summers generally being cooler than back the too ? This year being the exception.

Would we not need wind from the Biscay or do these storms follow their own path irrespective of wind direction ?

I remember the dark reddish orange glowing sky from these storms, and they would move in very slowly with light winds and they would be banging all night. You could hear them rumbling for hours before they moved in.

I remember the power going and earlier in the day the RTE transmissions from Mount Leinster being severely disrupted.

Nothing like this now.

There has to be some change for this not to happen now.

Interesting, only 2mm of rain recorded fro Oak Park yesterday, seemed like a lot more considering I was there on the bicycle hiding under trees but still got saturated.

Dublin Airport only recorded 1mm.

Seemed like a lot more.

Pity Dublin Engineers never designed drainage better as the place wouldn't flood half as much if it was designed properly, obviously down here in the sticks the water has places to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just looking at the models, by this time next week I don't think people will feel disappointed by a lack of thunderstorm action, most places could see some extreme local events by Irish standards. Drought will certainly be a distant memory, hopefully the farm sector wont be looking at too much crop destruction or livestock losses.

I wonder is it to do with the Summers generally being cooler than back the too ? This year being the exception.

Would we not need wind from the Biscay or do these storms follow their own path irrespective of wind direction ?

I remember the dark reddish orange glowing sky from these storms, and they would move in very slowly with light winds and they would be banging all night. You could hear them rumbling for hours before they moved in.

I remember the power going and earlier in the day the RTE transmissions from Mount Leinster being severely disrupted.

Nothing like this now.

There has to be some change for this not to happen now.

This was the night of the most severe storms in living memory in Ireland :

archives-1985-7-26-0-0.png

This is today :

gfs-0-18.png

Move the plume and low pressure a few hundreds miles back west and today would look something like 1985. Just a case of how things are set up.

Cool,

Do those storms in the Biscay travel by wind or just do their own thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Storms like that dont travel as such, the airmass and conditions do then storms form and expire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement