Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Estofex going with 50% chance of some action

2013072906_201307281027_2_stormforecast.xml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tornando9 wrote: »
    The worst part about forecasting in Ireland we should have downgrade removed from the dictionary.

NAE looks to be struggling with this setup, very poor performance IMO

I've already had more rain this morning in Waterford than the NAE had for the next 30 hours!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day here so far, much better than yesterday already

Fairly potent cell near Buncrana producing a bit of lightning in the past half hour or so.

Down south, looks like the rain has finally shifted north of Cork city, but there may be more to follow later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Yup just had a serious down pour here outside Kilkenny, no thunder yet but that shower was just as heavy as some of the mid week ones.

Clearing up a little now, hoping for some more action later :D

• Advertisement

cant wait for later :)

(prayers to weather Gods...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Radar really coming to life now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Currently beautiful and 22c (again) in Arklow.At this stage,Counting days with maxes of 22 and more here,there have been an unusual amount of them and way above average,even after the heat waves end.

The heat and current wind directions should aid convergence convection from the black stairs to the wicklows on this side of the country,it usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Fairly potent cell near Buncrana producing a bit of lightning in the past half hour or so.

Down south, looks like the rain has finally shifted north of Cork city, but there may be more to follow later today.

Some nice loud bangs coming from it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some serious rain coming down in Dublin 4 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

some spectacular skies out to my SW atm.

It's starting to kick off near Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where is that house

Without getting too specific - it's in Fairview d3 - strike happened between 4-6 pm Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just home from work , gonna have some lunch and then make our way up towards Ashbourne area , somwhere on a hill with a view south. Hopefully something might wait until then and head my way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Some serious rain coming down in Dublin 4 at the moment.

Confirmed in Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Heard one clap of thunder in the past ten minutes, before it arrived Satellite signal went and came back during the short, sharp shower.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Heard one clap of thunder in the past ten minutes, before it arrived Satellite signal went and came back during the short, sharp shower.

It's just north of Castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

zOOPq60.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Just awake after an all night photoshoot along the north coast. Nice 10+ second rumbles of thunder heard in distance. Just getting food and then a wash and I'll be out taking pictures and video to see what I can capture. 06z isn't as good for the North West as it was yesterday so not expecting anything major like Friday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

HIRLAM shows some heavy showers for the NW from 3pm onwards, not a lot before then though there's already been a few this afternoon so hard to know how much faith you can put in it

hirlamukpcp18.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some nice anvils around here but i dont think there going to develop into anything special tbh....

Strikes in the southwest and midlands in the last hour :

pPFRpf0.jpg

As expected cells are popping up quickly but not lasting for very long due to poor wind shear. Almost anywhere from the southwest to the northeast could see a few flashes this afternoon/evening, just don't expect a supercell. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Thunder just outside athlone now. Can't see any lightening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nothing here all week and looks set to stay that way unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Vicious shower here at the moment, rain rate peaked at 77.8mm/hr and still absolutely coming down. Surprised not to hear thunder.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Thunder in Bangor and torrential rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

This cell see to be building slightly as it heads towards the North Coast. Very slow moving, though went past me to my south. But I can still hear thunder coming from it. Hopefully first of many long lived cells ;)

1SnjFCy.png

Unfortunately, my bank balance says no to chasing any great distances today, so local for me only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Almost constant thunder for the last 5 minutes - incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Blast of thunder over Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Will dublin get any action today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement