Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Looks to have dropped in intensity as its hitting the city

These type of cells dont last very long, without good wind shear to seperate the downdraft and updraft they burn themselves out in less than an hour usually, new cells can pop up quickly right behind them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

These type of cells dont last very long, without good wind shear to seperate the downdraft and updraft they burn themselves out in less than an hour usually, new cells can pop up quickly right behind them though.

Yeah but i tell ye that was a very strong cell. there was convective gusts here ! rain fall rates of just under 100mm/hr recorded here

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Live up the Dublin mountains myself...loads of Thunder & heavy rain for about 15 mins, just passing now heading towards the city if anything left in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

that mammatus over arklow about 5 minutes ago

6PwZrp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Big cell heading towards Bray/Greystones. Lots of lightning. Might be weakening a little now though.

Anything heading wicklow town direction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thought I saw a flash of lightning in Dublin 2, didn't hear any thunder though so not so sure.

wind is blowing any showers fast,

More activity heading from the south west heading up now, might get lucky here soon.

Wind is just too strong for anything to last.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah but i tell ye that was a very strong cell. there was convective gusts here ! rain fall rates of just under 100mm/hr recorded here

Yeah it looked impressive on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Some pics from Kilcoole of the cell over Bray/S Dublin. Continuous thunder and the odd flash here the last few minutes. Lovely active skies :)

264671.JPG

264672.JPG

264673.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The storm moving through County Down looks like something else altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    that mammatus over arklow about 5 minutes ago

6PwZrp.jpg

Lots of thunder ,very audible connected to that just 3 miles south of the town.
    I could hear it here for the last 45 mins! At least 20 strikes visible,and much low booming.Action centred near Tara hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Some cracker cells popping up, can hear constant rumbling in distance. It is great sky watch day

Amazing how quickly things have calmed down on the radar. A real lull in activity. None of the echoes west of Meath are producing lightning.

Amazing how quickly things have calmed down on the radar. A real lull in activity. None of the echoes west of Meath are producing lightning.

Cape is restricted to the east and northeast now, there's no energy for thunderstorms further west.

some activity south now maybe moving up to the east for more action

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Came down to beach in bettstown (facing east). I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion? Have I a better chance of seeing lightening facing south (towards north dublin) or north (towards Dundalk)?

New storm fast approaching now,looks like a direct overhead for Arklow shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just had the mother and father of a Thunderstorm here in north meath, torrential rain, and the flashes of lightening were incredible :), was driving home from navan and saw at least 3 strikes that came straight down and they had to hit land somewhere, Thunder was sharp and very loud.......great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Absolutely nothing in the south east all day. Looks like the east got hit fairly hard with lightning. Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

pad199207 wrote: »

I was in Naas for that one earlier, rain was crazy and a few nice rumbles from it too. There wad bad spot flooding on the motorway afterwards too.

• Advertisement

These cells are narrow but violent.
    Sounds like an airport runway at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

By the way there was a good downpour of hailstones with one of the thunder showers.

I watch some of those storm chasing programmes and notice that there is nearly always hail before a tornado. Not saying that this means that one was coming but is hail common with thunder storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Just had the mother and father of a Thunderstorm here in north meath, torrential rain, and the flashes of lightening were incredible :), was driving home from navan and saw at least 3 strikes that came straight down and they had to hit land somewhere, Thunder was sharp and very loud.......great stuff

Any videos? ;)
    Parts of east cavan/north meath have had a serious amount of thunderstorms.
    I've never seen so much black skies and thunder in the distance the past week in that direction.

Cape is restricted to the east and northeast now, there's no energy for thunderstorms further west.

Is there the potential for a second wave of severe storms later this afternoon or has the worst passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:( missed us...

Explosion over the yard just now,near Arklow :D

And another

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

lolie wrote: »
    Any videos? ;)
    Parts of east cavan/north meath have had a serious amount of thunderstorms.
    I've never seen so much black skies and thunder in the distance the past week in that direction.

Tried hanging out the window while the young lad took the wheel but as he's only 5, it was a bit difficult to keep the car straight and get a good video so unfortunately didnt get one :(........;)

Is there the potential for a second wave of severe storms later this afternoon or has the worst passed?

The worst looks to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Some beautiful clouds today, a few blasts of thunder in the Derry direction earlier.

1BB7756370AE42D49C5066AD2A7C7966-0000359205-0003322745-00640L-CB71B7E5435849B39957F7149EE63BCD.jpg

• Advertisement

Lots of convection out West again....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement