Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Harps wrote: »
    Almost certain I've just heard two distant rumbles here in Donegal

You would be correct

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Edit: Ian beat me to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ANother just detected in West cork ...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Funnel clouds in Galway Bay are not that rare and so don't need to be faked. I'd say its genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Aiel wrote: »
    Funnel clouds in Galway Bay are not that rare and so don't need to be faked. I'd say its genuine.

Yep, a quick google brings up a few. Here is one i remember hearing about,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcduffy/854298822/in/photostream/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Those strikes were actually only a couple of miles away if netweather is accurate, surprised they weren't louder, didn't even hear the third one

Heavy rain has finally arrived now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

The sun is trying to come out now in Galway. Is that it? Is there another front to come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

rain clearing away now from the immediate Mayo coast, the rain was fairly run of the mill,no thunder/lightning,pretty underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Tremendously boring in Cork here for now.

Just drizzle drizzle drizzle.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i feel your pain, tedious here in Mayo, and this was supposed to be where all the action was,seems to be moving into the northwest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Aiel wrote: »

Is there any video's of this? should be a few seeing as it may have been viewed from Galway City?

skeptic me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Not happy to see big blobs on the radar racing toward the south east. I was hoping Dublin would miss rain this evening as I am going to see blur in Kilmainham...fingers crossed it comes to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

MrFrisp wrote: »

Really? Just been out in a deluge. Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Well, that changed massively. Torrential downpour just there in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Birtles wrote: »
    Is there any video's of this? should be a few seeing as it may have been viewed from Galway City?

skeptic me.

Im still wet from my trip down there earlier, it was so wet that not many people were out, and everyone was keeping their heads down to avoid the rain.
    So i wouldnt be suprised if no one else saw it. From the pictures though it seems like it could have come ashore near barna somewhere.
    So somebody down there could have better photos.

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Seriously? Where?

It's slightly heavier here now,,but still only drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well, that changed massively. Torrential downpour just there in Cork

Unreal, never seen rain so heavy!! It's was flying across the carpark in work in sheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Seriously? Where?

It's slightly heavier here now,,but still only drizzle.

In the city center

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RuthieRose wrote: »
    The sun is trying to come out now in Galway. Is that it? Is there another front to come in?

You'd want to be seeing the sun come out. Thunderstorms don't form under cloudcover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well i'm in cork city now and didn't see anything much so it must be very localised

Yup,,must be. I'm towards the Wilton direction and just got a heavier drop of drizzle.

Ahh well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

sunbabe08 wrote: »

When I saw this, I thought of you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151491297830826&set=a.481156710825.264746.663215825&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yup,,must be. I'm towards the Wilton direction and just got a heavier drop of drizzle.

Ahh well..

I'm right near Wilton and it was POURING! VERY localised it seems!!

Well i'm in cork city now and didn't see anything much so it must be very localised

Yes, only drizzle for me too in Mahon Point, last Sunday's event [28th July] was almost totally confined to the Northside of the city. Some major flash flooding and house flooding from the monsoon rain, yet not a mile away just normal rainfall no flooding at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

In fairness this talk of thunderstorms never made sense to me and it's turning out that way
    Thunderstorms are typically formed in a hot sunny day where convection is rapid when the airmass is unstable. This is completely different scenario and the most you will get out of frontal rain events off the atlantic is the odd rumble.
    Very inaccurate forecasting from both Met Eirann and MT imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

A couple of the radio stations have posted a picture of a small tornado of the coast of Galway.
    Anyone know if its real?

Here it is - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698783986815124&set=a.162508160442712.44165.110161572344038&type=1

In fairness this talk of thunderstorms never made sense to me and it's turning out that way

CAPE values for the Cork area are too low but will increase to 700J/kg around 3am. Our peak Thunderstorm potential is now until 18:00.

So you may well be correct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A couple of the radio stations have posted a picture of a small tornado of the coast of Galway.
    Anyone know if its real?

Its a waterspout

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm right near Wilton and it was POURING! VERY localised it seems!!

Yeah..Very localised it seems alright.

I'm on the Togher side of Wilton..

Still fingers crossed for some Thunder later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I get the feeling that there is not gonna be much more in the way of thunderstorms or warm, sunny days for the next while, reached 22C here earlier but its gone all cloudy now and feeling cooler, may manage 21C tomorrow but after that it looks like normal service resumes countrywide with a week of typical unsettled conditions and very average temperatures. Cant really complain tho as June and July were really good for both sun worshipers and thunderstorm activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Its a waterspout

I'm going with tornado.... WAY more impressive!!!

Dull and miserable now in Galway. At least it's dried up a little for ladies day. All that effort to end up looking like a soggie dog!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement