Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissPuscifer

Lumi wrote: »
    Totally impartial here but I just opened both images in PS, super imposed them and the central waterspout, cloud etc are an exact match
    It's very easy to blend away what you don't want

Make of it what you will

Thanks. If I was at a pc, I would have made a gif to show exactly that. But only on tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Back on topic and there are plenty of sparks in west Connemara atm

75219FCC-5AAD-4B76-8640-294B16D5A48B-3880-0000035C6902E539.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Back on topic and there are plenty of sparks in west Connemara

Pull the curtains and get in the wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

An error level analysis on the Galway and Cork funnels pics did not show any manipulation. I tend not to believe at first but I think both pics are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Beep don't forecast for the ROI as you know.
    I have to dispute that point as their ppn charts quite often cover ROI and of course the Northern Ireland forecast regularly shows the South.
    I watched the bbc forecast at lunchtime and it had random ppn over Ireland for today (oddly enough almost exactly what happened)
    The Irish Met at 6pm "spells of heavy rain affecting many areas with scattered thunderstorms"
    Yet there hasn't been one decent report of thunder nationwide and the ppn radar is showing very light outbreaks around the country. Now I agree that slating the Met isn't on but surely they can react to the radar and satelite just like we do and agree that things have not developed. By 4pm thsi evening it was looking obvious nothing much (in the way of thunder) was going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Totally impartial here but I just opened both images in PS, super imposed them and the central waterspout, cloud etc are an exact match

They clearly are not.

However, you cannot make any determination with these samples, and that sir, is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The weekend weather is looking atrocious especially Sunday and Monday
    Flooding looks a distinct possibility..............ouch looks like the hot spell is becoming a distant memory as normal service resumes

So I had to have a look myself

265251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Spectacular thunder here now and the electricity has just gone. Sky is still bright though, and no rain so far....

Red Nissan wrote: »

265251.jpg

Ok so it's skewed slightly... But that was a part of the faking of it... Here is a better example, note the clouds just next to it too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Downpour has just started. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

approaching thunderstorm earlier in louisburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ok so it's skewed slightly... But that was a part of the faking of it... Here is a better example, note the clouds just next to it too...

Zoom in on the Galway pic and you can see where the superimposing was done.

265251.jpg

The cloud base above is an exact match, the body of the funnel has been resized and manipulated while maintaining the same curvature imo
    I work with images in photoshop every day and given the available evidence I concur with MissPuscifer
    The base image of a grey, rain-soaked Blackrock is genuine, that I do know :D

The cloud base above is an exact match, the body of the funnel has been resized and manipulated while maintaining the same curvature imo
    I work with images in photoshop every day and given the available evidence I concur with MissPuscifer
    The base image of a grey, rain-soaked Blackrock is genuine, that I do know :D

Absolutely no doubt its a fake or a fantasmagorical coincidence.:D

I would not think so, the original image may well be faked as I do see other artifacts that might suggest that, but the images you are providing is not the image used to fake the picture.

And I did use the cloud as my measure and scaled down the Internet image to match, it is very hard to skew an image in PS and not see the evidence.

In any event, these samples are not verified and forensic analysis cannot be performed, I can't even verify the original image, I'm using the one you posted.

The original may be faked, I see some supporting evidence, but your sample is not it. Sorry.

I work with images in photoshop every day :D

Ditto. I don't know about the original, what I have to work with is inconclusive as I've already posted, however, we can lay to rest the comment about an exact match, as they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

Some nice CG sparks here in Dooega, Achill. Would say they had a better show over in Keel though.

Ditto. I don't know about the original, what I have to work with is inconclusive as I've already posted, however, we can lay to rest the comment about an exact match, as they are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Lakes_Waterspouts.jpg
    Original waterspout image.
    I've worked indeptly with photoshop and digital imagery for years also. It is clear that it is the same formation. Someone just cut the funnel and base out of the Great Lakes one and blended it into the new picture.

if only we had a Weather pictures forum for posting and discussing pictures..oh wait...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'm half glad it was a fake so, I was sickened to think I had just missed it today by a matter of minutes. So it probably turns out that the system that estofex were talking about is probably skimming Achill island now.

helloyeshi wrote: »
    Some nice CG sparks here in Dooega, Achill. Would say they had a better show over in Keel though.

Plenty of activity around west Connemara and off the West coast, pity most of it is out at sea

97735D8E-7CFA-43AB-9AAA-4EE7AE6B58DE-3965-0000036E855FE4F9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

Aye, a shame. I'd say we might see a few more sparks here before the evening is out, but that's about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Lakes_Waterspouts.jpg
    Original waterspout image.
    I've worked indeptly with photoshop and digital imagery for years also. It is clear that it is the same formation. Someone just cut the funnel and base out of the Great Lakes one and blended it into the new picture.

I work in digital imagery as well and you are right. Its so blatant.

Perhaps we'd better let the weather chaps get back to what is turning out to be a big letdown weather wise! I can see a few barometers being flung all over the place tonight.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Grandeeod wrote: »

Perhaps we'd better let the weather chaps get back to what is turning out to be a big letdown weather wise! I can see a few barometers being flung all over the place tonight.:D

Still up on RTE site anyway, credited to a David Lambe.

So the fact that its still on the RTE web site makes it real? RTE News just grabs anything they define as news worthy. I've seen discredited UFO footage running on their site. They don't do analysis. Honestly I wish it was real. I love extreme weather. But I dislike exaggerated reports on this forum and fake photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Us weather chaps don't get that hot underneath the collar if it doesn't go our way, We have learned over the many years living in this country nothing is set in stone weather wise as you can see if Ireland was pushed 200 to 400 hundred miles west this evening we would laughing and we would need a new F5 button.

But I dislike exaggerated reports on this forum and fake photos.

So what's your reasoning to call it a fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Perhaps david has made Lambs of us all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

This country and the weather! !we won't be happy till an F-5 tears through a creche

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement