Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I work in digital imagery as well and you are right. Its so blatant.

Why?

I've no doubt the three of ye are digital experts, so tell me why this is a fake. None of ye, to be honest have supported your claims with any conviction.

I've heard nothing that reveals the truth about this photo and why I think it is a fake, which, TBH again, all three of ye should have jumped on, instead of this ridiculous charade.

This country and the weather! !we won't be happy till an F-5 tears through a creche

With no survivors, and the rescuers all coming down with remorse and jumping into the Lee or the Liffey and, and

Ye I got it,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Why?

I've no doubt the three of ye are digital experts, so tell me why this is a fake. None of ye, to be honest have supported your claims with any conviction.

I've heard nothing that reveals the truth about this photo and why I think it is a fake, which, TBH again, all three of ye should have jumped on, instead of this ridiculous charade.

Enough already please, the digital photography forum is that way >>>>
    This is a weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No thunder or rain today in Marino at all. Just humid as hell. If it rains I reckon it will pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm looking for the thunder thread.

• Advertisement

Deank wrote: »
    Enough already please, the digital photography forum is that way >>>>
    This is a weather forum.

So why pick on me?

I'm game, mods move all related articles to the digital photography forum and I'll take them apart. Please and thanks.

BTW, why was no notice given to two of the other participants in this?

So why pick on me?

I'm game, mods move all related articles to the digital photography forum and I'll take them apart. Please and thanks.

Apologies, Red, it wasn't directed at you just the "it's real, no it's fake" shenanigans going on, take it as a given it was directed at all involved not at you individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

So what's your reasoning to call it a fake?

First and foremost Social media. Absolutely no additional material online. Just this one photo. No video or alternative photos. Phones have Video capability these days and that's your first point of call. But then Video is a lot harder and longer to fake. Of course one could argue the weather was so bad that nobody else was bothered to look. But in this day and age and in an area that is not rural, the original photographer was certainly not alone. When something like this occurs in an urban area its picked off by multitudes.

As for the real specifics of faking this photo, that would be way off topic, but has already been alluded to on the thread already. We can agree to disagree on that if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Watch it all all happen when it's dark
    and we can't see

So why pick on me?

Im cool with that!

• Advertisement

All please can we give the Galway Water Spout Picture a break or create a new thread on it, if it's fake, it's fake, let the experts (of which I'm sure there's a few in here) decide, but on a separate thread.
    The bickering over it between you is reminiscent of the Soccer Forum, jaysus never thought I'd have to say that in the Weather Forum

Why?

So what did we miss? Why do you think its fake?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    So what did we miss? Why do you think its fake?

I believe this is still the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

Its after getting seriously dark in Drumcondra. If it does rain its going to be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

2wntqgp.png

All the action is off the coast right now.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

T&L over Donegal Town now. First over the town this summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

The fake(?) photo is not just about photography. It about reporting and verifying real events that are then turned into scientific data. The same could be done with words as well as photos. If this forum is to have any integrity and reliability, its contributions must be honest and as accurate as possible. Deliberate attempts at scientific fraud is like any other fraud, like printing non legal banknotes. The good discussions and reports here on this site have left an excellent record of significant weather events for Ireland that is of inestimable scientific value. This must be maintained. So we must know what is not reliable and what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Twister spotted in Clon today

Image has not been altered

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

A breezy night here in Galway but dry (shop st. will be wedged!!!) it looks like it might stay that way too 😢 I'm off out west for the weekend (I've been told its where the best of the weather is) for a family camping trip! If ANYTHING happens I'll be in-touch.
    Camping + bad weather = interesting!!!!!😎

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Birtles wrote: »
    Twister spotted in Clon today

Image has not been altered

Brilliant!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A clear end to the day in Castlebar....still very warm and humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Letterkenny again !... not goooood!

265292.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

sunset wrote: »
    The fake(?) photo is not just about photography. It about reporting and verifying real events that are then turned into scientific data. The same could be done with words as well as photos. If this forum is to have any integrity and reliability, its contributions must be honest and as accurate as possible. Deliberate attempts at scientific fraud is like any other fraud, like printing non legal banknotes. The good discussions and reports here on this site have left an excellent record of significant weather events for Ireland that is of inestimable scientific value. This must be maintained. So we must know what is not reliable and what is.

I agree - I'd don't want to take this thread off topic but in an effort to bring the matter to a close I've posted some local info in the weather picture thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85800324&postcount=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Lightning in east donegal. We've lost power. It's about 5-6 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

Lightning every minute here outside Ballybofey.. seen one brilliant flash of fork lightning towards Glenties :D Pity the power's gone though..

sunset wrote: »
    The fake(?) photo is not just about photography. It about reporting and verifying real events .

And nothing can be verified from the samples provided, I've proved that some claiming it a fake are unsubstantiated and when actually investigated are inaccurate. FACT.

I suspect subterfuge with good intent.

Given that nothing can be proven from the samples, I submit the photo that I studied is faked, but I cannot verify who faked it.

I tried to request an original and my request was denied.

The other respondents in this thread saying the photo is faked are in error in their judgment, IMO, or in fact are implicit in its execution as their reasoning is presumptuous.

Thanks.

And nothing can be verified from the samples provided, I've proved that some claiming it a fake are unsubstantiated and when actually investigated are inaccurate. FACT.

I suspect subterfuge with good intent.

Given that nothing can be proven from the samples, I submit the photo that I studied is faked, but I cannot verify who faked it.

I tried to request an original and my request was denied.

The other respondents in this thread saying the photo is faked are in error in their judgment, IMO, or in fact are implicit in its execution as their reasoning is presumptuous.

Thanks.

Its fake. Whats your problem now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Big orange/purple flashes lighting up the sky to the east every 30 seconds or so, too far away to hear anything but great to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Letterkenny again !... not goooood!

attachment.php?attachmentid=265292&stc=1&d=1375390953

Not good but at least it looks like it moving through fairly quick.
    Do you think we'll see any more action tonight or tomorrow Ian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ONwards and upwards i say!!

Looking forward to tomorrow now , lets hope for some better surface heating early on. :)

265296.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement