Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

Harps wrote: »
    Big orange/purple flashes lighting up the sky to the east every 30 seconds or so, too far away to hear anything but great to watch!

That went right overhead here and there was very little thunder to be heard, but the lightning more than made up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ONwards and upwards i say!!

Looking forward to tomorrow now , lets hope for some better surface heating early on. :)

Lightning strike north of Dublin in the last few minutes, there's hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

lolie wrote: »
    Not good but at least it looks like it moving through fairly quick.
    Do you think we'll see any more action tonight or tomorrow Ian.

That was one fast moving storm, moved past to my west but plenty of lightning and power went out here in Ballybofey for about twenty minutes. I reckon it passed directly over Fintown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DIdnt even see that on the radar! , hiding away! ha

Thought i would of heard that one from here .... perhaps just a hiccup in the clouds ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Big forks shooting across the sky and multiple CG strikes every minute or so, brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Big forks shooting across the sky and multiple CG strikes every minute or so, brilliant :D

And your videoin this for us right;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Right On. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

YOU KNOW THE RULE>...... PICS OR ...... GTFO

:pac::p

Iancar29 wrote: »
    YOU KNOW THE RULE>...... PICS OR ...... GTFO

:pac::p

And vids Ian dont forget the vids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

And vids Ian dont forget the vids ;)

Video coming soon ;)

Chased 150 miles today, to be ****ing 10 miles from home and catch a lovely cell lighting up every few seconds with lightening!

And after reading the last few pages of the thread, I drove through Donegal Town, Ballybofey all on my back to Derry :( God damn it!!!

• Advertisement

Video coming soon ;)

Chased 150 miles today,

Appreciate that, was tempted, but my analysis was not supported, going mad nothing happened, keep on chasing.

Never Stop Chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Another nice plume building to our South now, hope it clears off tomorrow evening and we get a half decent weekend, not likely but here's hoping.

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well after a fairly timid and dare I say sunny day here in Ach!ll I am now watching a fairly awesome but intermittent lightening display over north Mayo and the Mul%et peninsula.
    Fork and sheet lightening but there doesn't appear to be a drop of rain.
    Its been going on for the best part of two hours already.
    I think I'll have another cuppa!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A repeat of early July's weather with a thundery breakdown mid month will do me :). Maybe a repeat of August 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helloyeshi

Call me Al wrote: »
    Well after a fairly timid and dare I say sunny day here in Ach!ll I am now watching a fairly awesome but intermittent lightening display over north Mayo and the Mul%et peninsula.
    Fork and sheet lightening but there doesn't appear to be a drop of rain.
    Its been going on for the best part of two hours already.
    I think I'll have another cuppa!

Where about's in Achill are ya Al? Over somewhere near Dugort if you're looking over Mullet? Would it be worth my while heading over from Dooega now?

We got a nice show here in Dooega a few hours ago.

Video is taking ages to render guys, another hour left on it! Need a new pc :( You'll have to wait until the morning!

Didn't take many photographs today, but here is probably the best one I got.

We watched this cell develop today for a couple of hours today during a storm chase to the West Coast of Donegal and ended up in Mullaghmore, County Sligo. There was slight rotation in the cell but nothing came of it. Was very impressive watching it develop and grow.

1097755_1399797130238393_24267767_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

was looking at the radar on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

There is a really interesting circular rotation moving northwards, it looks really intense at its core, its the 11.45pm shot, sorry can't get a screen grab to show ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Still watching lightening strikes over Tory Island...it's a pretty cool night view :-)

Here's the video, quality doesn't do it justice at all. It was a great display as you can tell by my excitement LOL

Tried to but my phone's camera force closes after about 30 seconds when I'm videoing so couldn't get anything worthwhile. Haven't watched the video yet but hopefully it does it justice!

Here's a poor quality pic of a cg strike I nicked from facebook!

1097951_10200258525930843_1449552617_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A (good) bit further afield, but my friend in Germany sent me this video of a supercell which hit his area last Sunday and the damage it caused.

He didn't make the video but he was hit by the same storm a few towns over. All the windows on one side of his house were shattered with the roof also getting damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The wind here in mayo is something else. Garden furniture flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

That cluster of cells off the south coast looks interesting? Lots of sferics and if the winds stay on course, shouldn't they be heading across the east/midlands later on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Penname wrote: »
    That cluster of cells off the south coast looks interesting? Lots of sferics and if the winds stay on course, shouldn't they be heading across the east/midlands later on?

Certainly a lot of lightning west bay of biscay. Good distance for it to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

A strike near Ashbourne?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Also on sat24.com you can see that cloudmass producing lightning west of france really picking up

Moving toward southern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Penname wrote: »

The Low itself is migrating slowly NNE, that cluster if it remains coherent will more likely go to SW England

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

you can see the action stayed out to sea yesterday. if the system had pushed in overland the west would have been alive last night!

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp

probably why the weather warnings were issued. they were only out by 200 miles!

Few sparks showing up in the midlands this morning.
    sf_na_1d.gif?
    Nothing on the radar so most likely their false returns.

Southeast England getting a nice bit of action though:(

• Advertisement

Here's the video, quality doesn't do it justice at all. It was a great display as you can tell by my excitement LOL

For Pig Iron, try the free section of Vimeo. Don't change anything from the one you sent to Youtube.

The free Vimeo has a 45 minute waiting period after upload.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement