Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Saw at least 4 separate fork lightenings over Newbridge. Cell heading ENE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Oh there we are big flash out west! an thunder

And this time I aint in Dublin ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

That's a beautiful looking cell. Am looking at the northern aspect of it, it's just creeping eerily across the sky. Would be tempted to get into the car and chase it across to Dublin but there's a curry on the way with my name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gone quiet now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Some fine rain heading for Naas now !

Is strengthening with every frame

I wonder is there any chance of met eireann moving an auld weather station to naas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Interesting sky in DN 22

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This has to be the longest spell of thundery weather in a long time. Even though we'd missed out on any real severe thunderstorms (apart from in the North), it seems like at least somewhere has seen sparks pretty much every day for the past week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

This has to be the longest spell of thundery weather in a long time. Even though we'd missed out on any real severe thunderstorms (apart from in the North), it seems like at least somewhere has seen sparks pretty much every day for the past week or so.

And its welcome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

any chance dublin will see some sparks this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

chris2007 wrote: »
    any chance dublin will see some sparks this evening?

Well, if the apocalyptic sky overhead right now has anything to say about that...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Hi lads. Out in the west. Roundstone area. Warm & sunny most of the day. Wind completely died off now. Any chance of some action out this neck of the woods? Little or no Internet coverage so I can't check the satellites!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Only the odd rumble at this stage Ruthirose , sorry.

One to watch from early tomorrow guys , NMM picking up for the 2nd time a potent cell in the SE , making its way into the irish sea . Strong convergence forecasted along with isolated strong 0-1km shear approaching 23kts and decent mid level shear of 27kts , Also strong 700mb vertical vorticity , this is capable of a low topped supercell.
    I;d go with all of Munster and costal counties of S leinster being at risk.

265522.png

265523.png

265524.png

MAIN RISKS ARE : Strong - severe gusts for a time. Large hail , frequent lightning and possible weak tornado .

In work myself early 2moro as per usual so might be able to go chase something afterwards if things do look good.

Ps , lets hope Estofex backs me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Got one of the flashes on video with thunder, was quite close think you can make out the fork. Does anyone know what the click noise is when you see the flash ? Is it interference from the flash ?
    Had to upload to YouTube couldn't figure out how to put up here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlC_3RdPnQU&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MissPuscifer

Lots o' thunder and lightening being reported in Shannon.

Yeah, a chance for some more interesting weather tomorrow in the east.

http://ukasf.co.uk/storm-forecasts/268

We'll see what Estofex says later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

very very dark cloud rolling into Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

thunder and lightening in wexford, finally something to report. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Got one of the flashes on video with thunder, was quite close think you can make out the fork. Does anyone know what the click noise is when you see the flash ? Is it interference from the flash ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlC_3RdPnQU&feature=youtu.be

Sounds like a fuse blowing or something? Does all the electrical stuff in the room still work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

You can't upload videos to forums, you upload them to YouTube and embed in your post using certain codes. Example:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Absolute monsoon rain here on the Limerick/Tipp border. No rumbles though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Absolute monsoon rain here on the Limerick/Tipp border. No rumbles though.

I am in the Newport area in Tipp and am seeing regular flahses of lightning, but no rumbles!

Sounds like a fuse blowing or something? Does all the electrical stuff in the room still work?

Everything works fine in the room. I just guessed it was because I filmed it on a phone and the close proximity to the strike sent some kind of surge.. I've no idea really ha

I am in the Newport area in Tipp and am seeing regular flahses of lightning, but no rumbles!

Judging by Met Eireann's radar that storm heading this way :). If it comes will get some pics if anything happens

Looks very near Thurles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

any sparks heading near mayo?clouds looked menacing enough at dusk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Actually caught my first lightning strike on video off the back of that shower as it moved in the general direction of Thurles. :-) :-)

Tipp cell looks to be fizzling out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Does anyone know what the click noise is when you see the flash ? Is it interference from the flash ?

Yes, pretty much. The click noise is due to the electromagnetic radiation from the lightning strike affecting the electronics in your camera. It's the same energy that lightning detectors use to triangulate strikes. Electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light (basically), so the pulse of EMR and the flash of light coincided .. but it was the EMR that caused the click noise, and the light that caused your eyes to see the flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Saw loads of lightning just to the north of the Galtees in South Tipp about an hour ago, but didn't hear the slightest rumble of thunder...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks very near Thurles now.

Aye, the Thurles location doesn't surprise me. Was walking towards the pub at the time with limerick straight ahead of me and Thurles towards the rear. Clear skies towards Limerick, whilst it seems the lightning was coming from the Thurles direction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement