Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Never quite made it into Newbridge just some whispy cloud and mundane rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just a slight risk from Estofex today with the chance of anything interesting happening probably being more to our east.
    ...Ireland and UK...

A very moist zone with continuous lifting and an occlusion will slide over the Irish Sea into northern UK. Despite marginal CAPE and lack of heating, the occlusion is a focal point for possible tornadoes as 10-12 m/s 0-1 km shear would be present and very low LCLs. But there is no strong jet stream over it. The ingredients may not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Just a slight risk from Estofex today with the chance of anything interesting happening probably being more to our east.

Forecasts are great for potential but rarely come off that way. Looking at SAT24 shows cell clusters heading for the South/SE that should make landfall.
    The loop shows decent shear and convergance. What it does when it hits land is the big question.

Its a nowcast situation and looks promising

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

The triple point looks further north but still not very defined.

Its a Big or Bust day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

image.jpgIt looks like showers are starting to beef up according to the radar. Thunder might be a problem towards the south and south east later this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Been a boring dull day folks NOT ON..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Jpmarn wrote: »
    image.jpgIt looks like showers are starting to beef up according to the radar. Thunder might be a problem towards the south and south east later this evening.

Hope so,we had very little action over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Thunder and lightning here in south west laois:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If we don't get some here in Carlow I'm giving up.

Raining heavily and very humid at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

According to Irish Weather Online, that thunderstorm near Portlaoise is heading north east. I dare not ask if Dublin is going to be hit :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Trebor176 wrote: »
    According to Irish Weather Online, that thunderstorm near Portlaoise is heading north east. I dare not ask if Dublin is going to be hit :P

It is but it is a fluid system, the peak radar returns will likely change over the next few hours, but there could be some towards 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Trebor176 wrote: »
    ......that thunderstorm near Portlaoise is heading north east.......

What thunderstorm? :confused: I'm in Portlaoise here and, while it's lashing rain at the moment, I haven't seen or heard anything thundery here....... yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Thanks for that. At the moment, it's very calm in Clondalkin. It's cloudy with bright patches from the sun, it's dry, but that's about it really.

I'm just going by what I read on their Facebook page Aidan ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Oh, it's definitely thundery rain that's coming down here at the moment alright (though it's eased off a little in the past few minutes), but it just doesn't have the thunder and lightning to go along with it, unfortunately, that's all. Well, I haven't seen or heard any around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Just eased off there now in the last 10 mins or so but easily the heaviest rain i have witnessed here in a long time with at least 4 distinct flashes of lightning and loud thunder. Yard totally flooded and the poor dog sapping wet but i'm a happy man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dark Skies out West! im not confident of this developing any further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Upper Michigan United States

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

beautiful day in mayo today,sun is fairly strong too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

beautiful day in mayo today

It certainly is :)

New strikes from it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Me....

265622.png

Mamma from it here in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite thick fog has rolled in here ahead of that quite menacing looking precip.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear a crack out of it.

Huge downpour here now in the very south of Kildare, no sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Quite thick fog has rolled in here ahead of that quite menacing looking precip.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear a crack out of it.

Hope there some thunder in that shower.....iam here in dub after mayos great win today....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Here is a picture i took yesterday would this be a funnel?
    9436867813_e6e36f514a_c.jpg

Got soaked on the bog.
    9436865273_3df5331b69_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Had a downpour for 35 minutes with 25.2mm and a clap of thunder from about 8:30pm.
    Highest rain rate was 120mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Buckets of rain in Marino last
    30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

demakinz wrote: »
    Here is a picture i took yesterday would this be a funnel?
    9436867813_e6e36f514a_c.jpg

Got soaked on the bog.
    9436865273_3df5331b69_z.jpg

IMO not a funnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

There is another name for those clouds that look like they are about to become funnels or a funnel dissipates to them ~ Ian mentioned them previously but I can't remember

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement