Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Red Nissan wrote: »
    There is another name for those clouds that look like they are about to become funnels or a funnel dissipates to them ~ Ian mentioned them previously but I can't remember

I think you might be talking about scud clouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A wiki Scud Cloud fits the bill nicely I think. I must stop saying what I just did as .. :o
    Scud clouds can often be mistaken for a developing tornado, landspout, or waterspout. The difference is determinable by identifying if there's any rotation (not just movement) of the scud clouds. If any rotation occurs, a tornado, landspout, or waterspout has a high chance of forming.

This page;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud_%28cloud%29

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Actually caught my first lightning strike on video off the back of that shower as it moved in the general direction of Thurles. :-) :-)

Here's a screenshot from the video currently editing on youtube, quality is not great because it was taken in complete darkness. Thunder was almost inaudible.

Hk5ITRW.jpg

And a short video...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

That's the strangest lightning sound I've ever heard on video, or noticed at least. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

That's no the sound of lightning, that's interference with your recording device. Happened on my D7000 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I guess we're done with both warmth and thunderstorms for a while now:( Hopefully there will be a small repeat of both before we start looking into FI for snow:)

Gonzo wrote: »
    I guess we're done with both warmth and thunderstorms for a while now:( Hopefully there will be a small repeat of both before we start looking into FI for snow:)

A repeat performance of this would be nice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

265983.png

... 1269259657_omg_cat.gif

Derry 30 minutes ago.

Credit goes to Keith Donaghy

1003876_633499123340553_55747513_n.jpg

1098260_633499103340555_1574220132_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Clouds in the Limerick area are starting to get thundery looking. It looks like there maybe isolated thunder somewhere this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

Slow motion video of lightning over Kilkenny last week

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Feels like thunder in the air here in Newbridge nice cloud formations seem to have stalled over the town. Fingers crossed something kicks off

These are clouds hanging overhead with no sign of moment for the past 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Feels like thunder in the air here in Newbridge nice cloud formations seem to have stalled over the town. Fingers crossed something kicks off

Very unlikely I'm afraid!

I'II take that unlikely and report back to you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

JeffK88 wrote: »
    These are clouds hanging overhead with no sign of moment for the past 20mins.
    sunset should look cool if they hang around

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

A friend of mine seen a tornado near Ballon today on her way to Wexford. They stopped along with loads of other motorists to take video but only caught the end of it.
    In her video there are people with DSLR's so there has to be some decent footage out there of this.
    Any reports on IWO Ian as it was a proper nado it pulled loose haybales into the air and they were lifted a fair height.
    I'll upload her short clip onto my Youtube channel now.

Very short clip and only shows the disturbance from the tornado as it dissipated but you can see the hay falling from the sky.
    Sorry about the quality but as you can see lots of people shot this.
    Full screen is required to make out the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Very short clip and only shows the disturbance from the tornado as it dissipated but you can see the hay falling from the sky.

Weather looks very fair...was it not a dust devil/landspout?

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Weather looks very fair...was it not a dust devil/landspout?

Possibly, very hard to say without seeing what cloudbase it came from and a proper video but she initially said it was a funnel cloud which suggests it was attched to a cloud.
    With funnels being reported in Kerry and Derry it could be very likely it was a touchdown.
    Fingers crossed a better video crops up.

Looks like a classic landspout / "Dusttube" man , as because of the clearish skies they form under , they from whilst the air for Cumulus towers is lifted up and tightens . I got something similar here earlier but only in its very early stages.

266117.jpg

got a video after it to to try get figure out the motion as its that that helps you decide what it is. Will try get it up shortly ..

Ill ask on IWO too now though for photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Coming out of charlestown today about 445

BRE-0mjCQAADNIv.jpg

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Coming out of charlestown today about 445

BRE-0mjCQAADNIv.jpg

Thats the one in my photo above too Jimmy.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Thats the one in my photo above too Jimmy.. ;)

Lol thats a good one i was just turning onto the motorway when i snapped that

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I got a picture of a funnel cloud this eve at 19 50 in kilmovee county mayo...trying to up load picture but wont let me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Something in the clouds over Clare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A lot of funnels being reported today so wouldn't be surprising if one touched down somewhere, another impressive one in Mayo reported on IWN

#Sharknado is showing on Syfy channel. Its a must watch for any weather enthusiast..... and shark enthusiast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

#Sharknado is showing on Syfy channel. Its a must watch for any weather enthusiast..... and shark enthusiast...

And Tara Reid enthusiast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement