Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

quick question

do we ever get ground to cloud lightning in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

quick question

do we ever get ground to cloud lightning in Ireland?

We do, but it's a fairly rare type of lightning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Shelf cloud (thats what Im told it is) in Belgium. Probably posted on here already but for those who have not seen it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Jaysus you'd think godzilla was emerging from the sea the way all those people were running :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hal1 wrote: »
    Jaysus you'd think godzilla was emerging from the sea the way all those people were running :D.

So you would stay there and not worry about the lightning, they done the correct thing, get to hell out of there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Very exciting event yesterday at 20.15(although not quite as exciting as the Ennis tornado!) - observed a small funnel cloud near Mt. Callan. At first, I thought it was a jet trail of something coming in to land at Shannon but very soon realised by its shape and movement that it wasn't! It only lasted for approx half a minute and was nowhere near to coming down to the ground (thankfully, as it wasn't far from my house!)

Spoke to Brian Delaney the Customer Liaison Officer at Met Eireann this morning and he sent me a rainfall radar map for that time which showed a small area of rain which co-incided with the event. He was glad of the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Storm 10 wrote: »
    So you would stay there and not worry about the lightning, they done the correct thing, get to hell out of there

about-ichigos-so-called-dimensionbusting-32248.jpg

:P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Found a better video from yesterday Ian have you seen this.

Tornando9 wrote: »
    Found a better video from yesterday Ian have you seen this.

That is EPIC!! WHO do i credit?! :D

100% landspout :) , I wouldve ran right up to that and got a photo in front of it! :D

Again , they form underneath the rising air within a cumulus cloud . :)

ssd96-8fig2.gif

My mate was up in Donegal last week for a wedding , check out this jammy shot the 2 newly weds got ! :)

266225.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201249522994469&set=a.3482287990271.146938.1663473513&type=1&theater

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    That is EPIC!! WHO do i credit?! :D

landspout :) , I wouldve ran right up to that and got a photo in front of it! :D

Again , they form underneath the rising air within a cumulus cloud . :)

ssd96-8fig2.gif

CORRECTION : I got the formation right but the name wrong , its a DUST DEvil.

My apologies.

The difference in the 2 being that no funnel forms for dust devils .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

9464241011_8688e93694_z.jpg

9464231687_b5e22964dc_z.jpg

Some cool looking clouds over my house Yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

demakinz wrote: »
    9464241011_8688e93694_z.jpg

9464231687_b5e22964dc_z.jpg

Saw them over my house today as well, pretty cool looking alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Very exciting event yesterday at 20.15(although not quite as exciting as the Ennis tornado!) - observed a small funnel cloud near Mt. Callan. At first, I thought it was a jet trail of something coming in to land at Shannon but very soon realised by its shape and movement that it wasn't! It only lasted for approx half a minute and was nowhere near to coming down to the ground (thankfully, as it wasn't far from my house!)

Spoke to Brian Delaney the Customer Liaison Officer at Met Eireann this morning and he sent me a rainfall radar map for that time which showed a small area of rain which co-incided with the event. He was glad of the info!

Was it this jimmy ?
    dmc17 wrote: »
    Something in the clouds over Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Snowc wrote: »
    Was it this jimmy ?

That was just over Mt. Callan too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Hailstorm in southern Germany :eek:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=95a_1375948831

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Thunderstorm over Warsaw at the minute, some nice big bright flashes

http://oognet.pl/content/details/276

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Yes, that's exactly how it appeared! Thanks for putting the photo's up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

demakinz wrote: »

Cool alright, thought it was mammatus but couldn't have been, what would those formations be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's a bit too far away yet, but Thursday looks like it might have some thunderstorm potential again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

notnumber wrote: »
    Cool alright, thought it was mammatus but couldn't have been, what would those formations be called?

Have a quick look on the cloud appreciation website, it looks like it might be Asperatus, the cloud type that is going for classification at the moment. Its a good shot, might be worth submitting to the Irish or UK cloud appreciation society for confirmation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It's a bit too far away yet, but Thursday looks like it might have some thunderstorm potential again.

Great, missed out on the fun of the last run of thunderstorms so hoping for a bit of fun with these, although not free to chase. Will desk top chase to hearts content though... Roll on... roll on....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Isolated sferic recently over Meath. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html Probably from that heavy looking shower on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A Dust Devil is caused buy a warm updraught that rotates and can form with no cloud. It does not create a funnel or attach from ground to cloud.

A land spout [water spout] can form from a convective Cumulonimbus cloud and can take a on defined vortex and funnel cloud to ground.

A tornado is spawned from a super-cell [storm] and any such formation can be damaging.

Assume this is correct?
    Questions: Can a spout be damaging? Can it become a tornado?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

How tomorrow looking any upgrades yet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

vickers209 wrote: »
    How tomorrow looking any upgrades yet:D

No, I'm afraid it got downgraded instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

No, I'm afraid it got downgraded instead!

:( Ah Shuks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like quite an intense shower over Achill at the moment. Wonder might it produce something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like quite an intense shower over Achill at the moment. Wonder might it produce something?

Heading down to Achill now till Sun.. I'll set up on the beach and give a nowcast as they come in off the sea :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

V_Moth wrote: »
    Hailstorm in southern Germany :eek:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=95a_1375948831

Was in southern Germany myself that day, further south than where that video was taken. We didn't get the mad hail, but we did get a nice electrical storm and torrential rain. Here's a still I pulled from a video I took that evening:

4B80372993D34366BE5278EBA36FA65C-0000316763-0003339079-00793L-5ADFC9B097E746418AF9990650CA6ED8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement