Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

Very impressive tornado in east Galway half hour ago, I'm a farmer so seen few in my time but this was biggest I've seen, sorry pic isn't great, had to climb to get over trees which delayed me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

babybrian wrote: »
    Very impressive tornado in east Galway half hour ago, I'm a farmer so seen few in my time but this was biggest I've seen, sorry pic isn't great, had to climb to get over trees which delayed me

Picture isn't conclusive but the radar image at the time would suggest it a definite possibility.

What was your exact location?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

I know it had moved away from me before got a chance to get a good picture. Im in offaly, just where offaly touches Galway and tipp, but it was across the river in Meelick

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Picture isn't conclusive but the radar image at the time would suggest it a definite possibility.

What was your exact location?
    That's when the massive shower hit here too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

how likely is it for a thunder and lightening show? missed it this morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    how likely is it for a thunder and lightening show? missed it this morning :(

Very likely, just not here, we're on the fringe, obviously isolated rolling incidents are possible. We've expired our level two warning and our level one expires at 03:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Imagine waking up to seeing this coming at ya !?

274329.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

274345.JPG

Looks to be heading our way should be a interesting evening on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

DominoDub wrote: »
    Looks to be heading our way should be a interesting evening on the east coast.

Probably the next 3 or 4 hours more than the evening, for the east coast anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

2 recent rattles here in south cavan . Did'nt know that was in forecast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

aghost wrote: »
    2 recent rattles here in south cavan . Did'nt know that was in forecast

....seeing your rattles....http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Didn't hear mention in the forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ....seeing your rattles....http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Didn't hear mention in the forecast?

Was very light fluffy rain though not what you would expect with thunder although humid. All settled now.

274919.png

Squally showers making their way across the country atm.

Some surprisingly late season setup for saturday .

With broad steepening lapse rates and CAPE feeding in from Saturday morning .

Some sharp thundery showers can be expected.

276299.png

More info later when hi res comes into view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Things just got interesting across the midlands, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Estofex :
    An E-Atlantic low advects a modified subtropical air mass far north. Meager lapse rates but modest SBCAPE should result in isolated to scattered storms from Portugal to Ireland. Heavy rain will be the main hazard with elevated clusters. Any surface based storm would also pose a strong wind gust risk (e.g. S-Ireland and W-Portugal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Things just got interesting across the midlands, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

276411.JPG

Just a quick post from myself as im heading out.

some sparodic lightning possible during the night and then 2moro too mainly in the S where best convection will take place . Some low level shear will also be present and giving the low cloud level , some spouts or a possible weak tornado is possible. A repeat of the galway tornado anyone? ...

Eyes and cameras on alert 2moro :)

Estofex putting a 50% risk area over southern coastal counties for tomorrow.

2013102006_201310181617_1_stormforecast.xml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

My WeatherPro app is screaming Thunderstorms for Monday

useless thing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

round up two of every animal. pissing out of the jaysis heavens here

A few strikes off the Wexford Coast within that pulse of rain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    A few strikes off the Wexford Coast within that pulse of rain

Yip. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Also looks like a few sharp showers or cells developing on the north side of that area of rain...Killkenny area.

A few heavy showers this morning. Any thundery activity over land will probably be confined close to the coast.

Recent Strike near Birr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rainbow on the back of that heavy shower that passed over Galway.

X4E6Z04l.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Really livening up off the South coast. Wonder will the clear skies in front help with convection and keep them firing over land.

Lightning and a rumble in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Lightning and a rumble in Waterford City.

Yep same here in Kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Holy sh*t just had the biggest flash and loudest bang of thunder over Tramore Co.Waterford right now, was like a hurricane with the wind and rain. The road is now flooded outside my house in the space of 5 mins holy sheet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement