Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Courses for language teachers?

• 06-07-2013 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any language courses, specifically French and German, that are aimed at teachers. The maths and irish teachers in my school always seem to be doing something to upskill and I can't seem to find anything like that for French and German. I'm not talking about inservices. It can be a 3, 6 month thing. I'd really like to do something.
    Thank you :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

gagiteebo wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any language courses, specifically French and German, that are aimed at teachers. The maths and irish teachers in my school always seem to be doing something to upskill and I can't seem to find anything like that for French and German. I'm not talking about inservices. It can be a 3, 6 month thing. I'd really like to do something.
    Thank you :-)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

I'd imagine that the huge range of opportunities for Maths and Irish would be due to the significant changes that have occurred to those courses in recent years (Project Maths, Oral Exam, etc.)

Would be interested in something in French myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Yeah you're probably right about the maths and irish. I've always felt there wasn't enough for French. We had a French inspection last year and when I asked her she said go to France during the holidays! She obviously missed the point. There has to be something, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

gagiteebo wrote: »
    Yeah you're probably right about the maths and irish. I've always felt there wasn't enough for French. We had a French inspection last year and when I asked her she said go to France during the holidays! She obviously missed the point. There has to be something, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Perhaps, the FTA could organise some form of training days, courses, etc.

http://www.fta.ie/full_post.php?pid=105

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What kind of course\training are you looking for? I'm doing a lot with iTunes U at the moment, 'taking' an anthropology class with Uni of Berkeley in California. I'm sure they have lots of things for French too. Also, try changing your location to France rather than searching French (or you'll end up getting basic French podcasts/apps). That way you'll get more native content.

If you give me an idea of what kind of training you'd like I could think of some more. I'm an Irish teacher and keep sharp by reading Irish literature and blogs, listening to radio etc. Then keep abreast of new technologies/apps that could make teaching the subject more interesting.

Leargas provides grants for courses through the comenius programme. http://www.leargas.ie/programme_main.php?prog_code=7067
    It is funded by the EU. A lot of universities run courses through the summer holidays (and Easter) that last around 2 weeks. You go to the country of your choice and study with other language teachers and do cultural activities. You can apply for a grant which covers most of the cost. You normally have to apply for the grant in January though so too late for this summer. I did one a few years ago and it was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

No courses on that very interesting Léargas website for Irish. Does anybody know where a teacher of Irish could get some courses during the summer here? grma/thanks.

Advertisement