Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Market Revamp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Wow, that would be great!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

CptSternn wrote: »
    Makes you wonder if they read the forum here as this has been suggested a few times. :)

I'd say they do, but this would have been mentioned probably elsewhere. I would be surprised if they didn't look at boards.

I think its a great idea as it will free up some parking spaces in the main market and it would be nice to have the market tucked away in there- would make a nice atmosphere imo also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was talking to a counciller a couple of months ago about my ideas of the town and he didn't mention these plans, great change though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I do love the idea, but does all of the market fit in there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I do love the idea, but does all of the market fit in there?

Do it right and I say it would fit handy enough, have stalls around the outside and 2 rows down the middle as well.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Do it right and I say it would fit handy enough, have stalls around the outside and 2 rows down the middle as well.

Awesome, as much as I like the existing market, it will be nice not having to dodge cars.

That car park is a nightmare as well, I'm amazed more people haven't been hurt because of it, a massive pet peeve of mine is people with buggies pushing them out and then checking to see if there's a car coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That car park is a nightmare as well, I'm amazed more people haven't been hurt because of it, a massive pet peeve of mine is people with buggies pushing them out and then checking to see if there's a car coming.

Would be so easily solved with a railing.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would be so easily solved with a railing.

Don't see how it's easy, rest of the week it's a car park, the railing would have to be put up and taken down every time the market was on.

Just a railing that comes out 2ft from the wall at the dunnes side so that pedestrians can see cars and cars can see pedestrians. There's no through road there anyway.

• Advertisement

Just a railing that comes out 2ft from the wall at the dunnes side so that pedestrians can see cars and cars can see pedestrians. There's no through road there anyway.

OK, wasn't quite seeing it right in my head, now I get you.
    That entrance to that car park is lethal anyway and it's a wonder no one has been run over.
    That car park should be scrapped altogether, access to it might have worked fine in the time of donkey carts, but I think it's too busy to have a lot of traffic going in and out.

I'd imagine a railing, which I would assume would have to be at least the width of a wheelchair so ~3 feet, would mean that the road wouldn't be wide enough for most cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If the whole market doesn't fit in there they could always have a bit of overspill out onto Lower Market Street.

People have suggested this a few times I'm all for it really. Hope it proves popular.

I'll be there for my veg, cheese and olives. And maybe even a crepe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Good idea for once, there is no comfort the way it is now, either for pedestrians or people driving

I'd imagine a railing, which I would assume would have to be at least the width of a wheelchair so ~3 feet, would mean that the road wouldn't be wide enough for most cars.

This is what I was thinking. widen the footpath, get rid of that stupid space between the road and the bollards towards o connell street where people abandon their cars. get rid of the island opposite xtravision and move all the traffic over to the xtravision side making a good long distance between the lane and the road with room to wait for traffic coming out.

I'd assume there would be no traffic allowed in or out the laneway during market hours?

note, this is just MS Paint and not an actual photo :eek:
    bmjv.jpg

currently
    bicycle-lr-market-street.jpg

This is what I was thinking. widen the footpath, get rid of that stupid space between the road and the bollards towards o connell street where people abandon their cars. get rid of the island opposite xtravision and move all the traffic over to the xtravision side making a good long distance between the lane and the road with room to wait for traffic coming out.

I'd assume there would be no traffic allowed in or out the laneway during market hours?

note, this is just MS Paint and not an actual photo :eek:
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6233/bmjv.jpg

currently
    http://www.county-clare-i.com/image-files/bicycle-lr-market-street.jpg

Ahhh, I get you now, that's quite a good idea. You don't have a future in Photoshop by they way :D

I'd be more in favour of closing off that whole road there and having the Market start there, Paddy Quinn's would be delighted as well having people sitting outside.

We all know how traders feel about pedestrianisation...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I'd be more in favour of closing off that whole road there and having the Market start there, Paddy Quinn's would be delighted as well having people sitting outside.

This is a great idea. Considines down Parnell St should be allowed to do this aswell

Advertisement