Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Dye Allergy Test

• 05-07-2013 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Sorry to hijack an old thread..was just wondering about allergy tests for home hair dyes..I have dyed my hair for years using garnier nutrisse in extra light blinde no.10. I never had a problem with allergies or reactions (the odd tingling sensation on the last few applications perhaps). I bought a new dye yesterday- l'oreal excellence in lightest blonde- and decided I'd test just in case. within 2 minutes of it being on my skin I felt intense burning and when I checked in the mirror the area was very red. Needless to say I won't be putting that on the rest of my head! Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences? Do you normally test? I was really hoping to have my hair done for the weekend so not sure if I should chance it with the old reliable garnier or maybe call to a hairdresser..albeit at a higher cost! :/
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I don't do patch tests either, it's a bit foolish tbh. The last dye I used was L'Oreal Feria....by God I wish I'd done a patch test, my ears ballooned and the itching was unreal!!! It took two weeks to clear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out from the zombie thread and moved to a new thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Even if you have used it for 50 years straight, you can still develop an allergy the next time you use it.

Always test it at least 24hrs before, although preferably 48.

Every salon will MAKE you have a skin test, and if they don't, it spells trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

I went to a very reputable salon in powerscourt town centre a few months ago and there was no mention of an allergy test..after putting highlights in she put on a toner..after this was washed out my head started tingling and was very very sensitive for about three days after (I kept touching my hair afraid it wouldn't be there after falling out!) the sensation subsided after a while but when I raised the issue with the hairdresser she said it was completely normal reaction to a toner and that it happens to her all the time. This was my first time getting highlights done professionally so I don't know but I'm pretty sure it's not a good sign!

FYI the morning after getting the burning sensation from the home dye I checked the skin again and it actually broke the skin and there was a scab there. I am just relieved I did a patch test beforehand as I have home dyed my hair for years and never tested! I just hope I manage to find a suitable alternative as I miss being blonde! :( does anyone know of good PPD free dyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

http://palettebynature.com/
    http://candyxcosmetics.blogspot.ie/2012/12/allergic-to-hair-dye-ppd-free-hair.html

You can get them/version of them in most health shops! They are a little pricy at around 14e, but definitely cheaper than a salon, and most definitely better than putting yourself in danger!

I have definitely never seen a toner make someone react, as they are relatively soft on the hair.. They are very gentle and conditioning (for the most part, unless she used a demi permanent one, which may have been the case)

More than likely, it was the bleach that irritated your scalp, possibly because it was applied to close to the scalp/left for too long. percentage was too high. God forbid, if anything had have happened you and you were brought to hospital, their insurance would not cover it, and essentially they would be ruined for not following the manufacturers instruction, and in some cases, a lawsuit from the client on top of that!!

It is definitely not something to risk as it can go extremely wrong, from burns, to more serious things like respiratory problems... They are playing with danger when they don't bother testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

I actually had to go back to the salon as the highlights came out white/grey and when I complained they offered to put another toner on..I didn't have any reaction with that though so definitely think it was the bleach and a case of being left on too long..I was very upset after the second visit still and actually ran out of the place as the hairdresser was not the nicest! I have since been wearing my hair tied up the last two months waiting fir it to grow out. Needless to say I will never return. I called to another salon yesterday and got a patch test for the Aveda colours and so far no reaction so fingers crossed. Aveda is meant to have less ammonia in them. After I mentioned my homedye reaction and last salon visit, the girl did explain that it was unlikely the toner. I really want an overall dye rather than highlights after my disastrous experience with highlights the last time..

Advertisement