Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad botte of wine

Options
  • 06-07-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    If i buy a bottle of wine in a convenience store... and the bottle is bad on opening...

Can i bring the bottle back to the store and ask for a refund/exchange?
    Or is it just simply bad luck?

I drank a glass from the bottle before i realised that it was bad...
    The convenience store did not provide a recepit at the time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Upwards of 5% of wine can be corked - does it have a traditional cork?

Most places will want to keep you sweet, even without a receipt, other places are going to be dicks about it. You won't know until you go back. If you paid by debit or credit card you could use your statement as evidence of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Go back and ask politely. They may change it for you. I do recall in the past shops being told its natural and tough luck from one supplier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've taken corked bottles back to O'Briens and they have exchanged without any issue. But I don't think they're under any obligation to do so, as corkage is something that can just happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dudara wrote: »
    I've taken corked bottles back to O'Briens and they have exchanged without any issue. But I don't think they're under any obligation to do so, as corkage is something that can just happen.

I'd argue that consumer law very much puts them under obligation to replace or refund. The consumer rightfully expects and is entitled to a product of satisfactory standard unless they have been expressly forewarned it might fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not just take it back, politely explain to the seller and see what happens, rather than speculate here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Convenience shops that don't issue receipts can and do look up receipts on the till manually. I had this for a faulty bus ticket to bring back to DB. You would need to know date, time (approx at least) and the till you were served at. That's of course if they don't entertain you without proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Convenience shops that don't issue receipts can and do look up receipts on the till manually. I had this for a faulty bus ticket to bring back to DB. You would need to know date, time (approx at least) and the till you were served at. That's of course if they don't entertain you without proof.

Most local stores won't go through that rigmarole. Let's just see what happens before discussing proof of purchase etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

OP here...
    I wrote the original message when i was still in bed (with a hangover)

As soon as i entered my kitchen yesterday morning and smelled the wine i immediately felt like throwing up!

So the wind went straight down the sink... therefore i have no evidece to bring back to the shop and no recourse for bringing it back

Thanks to everyone for their input

Advertisement