Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New york accommodation

Options
  • 06-07-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey!
    Just wondering does anyone know of any cheap accomadation in New York?

My friend is over there on a J1 and she's looking to move to another location,
    as where she's staying isn't a very safe area. I'm travelling over to her for a holiday on the 25th july until the 3rd of august,
    Her accomadation is costing her roughly 20 dollars a day,
    So we could stratch out a little over that, about 200 each probably.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much,
    Beckitt. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Have you looked at http://newyork.craigslist.org/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

If I'm reading your post right you're trying to find accommodation in NYC for two people for about $50 a night in total?

Honestly, that isn't a reasonable expectation. You would be very hard pressed to find anything in recession boundDublin in that range - never mind one of the most expensive cities in the world. The only things available in New York for that kind of money will be total dumps in very sketchy and unpleasant areas. If you can bring your budget up to about $100 per night you will find some things on airbnb.com - look for rentals with good reviews from previous guests in decent parts of Brooklyn or Queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There's a Hostelling International on Amsterdam Avenue that's grand. It's a big dorm type place, but was decent value for a short while. The area is safe, if a bit unexciting as Manhattan goes. I doubt though that you'll be able to stay for less than $50 a night per head.

I was there on a J1 in 2002, so my info might be a bit out of date, but I saw a recent reference to it that pretty much mirrored my experience.

Next best bet would be to head off Manhattan as others have suggested. Staying in Jersey can be a false economy on account of the cost of the train in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

At $50 per night...you aren't going to find many accommodations that are very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

Hey there,

I'm currently over here in the New York/New Jersey area and lived with a friend in Brooklyn for two months just before summer. Their rent was ridiculously high!! Also it was a two bedroom apt but was being rented out as just a one bedroom because the landlord was using the second as a storage room.....this led to a mouse infestation!!! We couldnt use the kitchen to cook or anything for fear of mice running on the counters and crockery. So basically they were paying the equivalent of around a grand a month for basically just using their bedroom and a tiny bathroom! the only rooms in the apt were two in the bedroom as the kitchen wasnt facing the front of the building so had no windows and neither did the bathroom. There was also no sitting room and no room in the kitchen to even divide up and have a partial living room area.

So all in all my advice is to either just buy an inflatable bed and stay on the floor of your friends place (as I did) because no one will be willing to give you a room in their apt etc especially before you even go over (New Yorkers are rude on craigslist and some wont even reply to your email if you dont give them your facebook link!!! Other than that you can just book a hostel, my friends stayed in one in Queens for a week or two while trying to find an apt.

Best of luck! Hopefully this heatwave will be blown over by the time you get here, but I heard their hottest month is actually August!! Im already dying of the humidity!! lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement