Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage smell in New Haven Balbriggan

Options
  • 06-07-2013 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Does anyone else get an annoying sewage smell in their house/apartment in the New Haven estate? The smell is pretty noticeable in summer but not as bad in winter. Also the smell is only inside our apartment and not outside. Talking to some who lived in Brackenwood a few years ago who said they had the same problem. Also how bad is limescale in the water? The kettle does be white a few days after scrubbing it clean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Does anyone else get an annoying sewage smell in their house/apartment in the New Haven estate? The smell is pretty noticeable in summer but not as bad in winter. Also the smell is only inside our apartment and not outside. Talking to some who lived in Brackenwood a few years ago who said they had the same problem. Also how bad is limescale in the water? The kettle does be white a few days after scrubbing it clean.

Never had the sewage smell in the 5 years we have been living in Newhaven Bay.
    As for the water everyone knows it is undrinkable, we use bottled water in the kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Never had the sewage smell in the 5 years we have been living in Newhaven Bay.
    As for the water everyone knows it is undrinkable, we use bottled water in the kettle.

I'm living towards the Dunnes side of New Haven so maybe its worse where I am. The water is poor alright. Wouldn't say its undrinkable but its full of lime and the kettle does be white after a few days :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

I'm living towards the Dunnes side of New Haven so maybe its worse where I am. The water is poor alright. Wouldn't say its undrinkable but its full of lime and the kettle does be white after a few days :mad:

I'm in Balbriggan too. I use a kettle with a water filter and I only have to descale the kettle about once every six months. Or you could get a water filter jug and use that for drinking water and filling the kettle, it makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yup in Balbriggan too and we use a Brita filter for our kettle. The limescale in the water is shocking so it's wise to invest in some sort of filter system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm in Swords and we've always used a Brita filter too. Otherwise the tap water tastes awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

If the smell is coming from inside it might be your dishwasher or the pipes running from the washing machine. Try putting bleach or some type of cleaner down them (if you haven't ruled it out already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

PlainP wrote: »
    If the smell is coming from inside it might be your dishwasher or the pipes running from the washing machine. Try putting bleach or some type of cleaner down them (if you haven't ruled it out already).

More thank likely if the smell is coming from inside it is the P trap under the sink, You should take this off and clear it out as there is a pretty good chance it's well backed up anyways..unscrew both sides off and clean out...

Advertisement