Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why such a ridiculous deposit?

Options
  • 06-07-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

€600 deposit AND compulsory direct debit might make sense if we were starting a manufacturing outfit with machinery, but for a tiny retail unit is just crazy.

3 energy saving lightbulbs=33W + 1 sharp cash register=32W = 0.065kw/h
    In other words between them they'll use a single unit every 2 days if the lights are on for the full  shift and the till is so busy it doesn't go into standby.

now maybe double this to take account of the timer and the 60W pump for the heating that will be on for an hour or 2 a day in the winter.

a unit a day.

And a deposit equal to 6-8 months home use where we have a washing machine, an immersion heater, an electric shower an electric cooker, fridge-freezer...............

We had to pay the deposit as it was the only option (Airtricity & Bord Gáis have year contracts and we have a short lease) but we did it with a lump in our throats.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, guess who'll be keeping stealing the 14 months interest off the deposit. Please explain to me how taking our money, putting it in a bank account where it will earn interest then returning it to us without the interest isn't theft.

Your representative said it all when he said the deposit was based on the meter not the customer. Not the customer is exactly right, YOU JUST DON'T LISTEN TO A THING YOUR CUSTOMERS TELL YOU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Tiny retail units are closing down all the time, with creditors nearly always getting burnt. Makes sense for a supplier to cover their own arse really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

bassey wrote: »
    Tiny retail units are closing down all the time, with creditors nearly always getting burnt. Makes sense for a supplier to cover their own arse really

But they could still  cover their own arse and pay interest on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alannah Gallagher

I don't have an issue with paying a deposit in principle. Not at all. I just think for what is really no more than an indoor market stall, demanding a deposit that is over 6 months home use (where we have electric cooking, water heating, shower etc) is like demanding a €500 security deposit from someone who is renting a dress with a replacement value of €75. If they'd asked for say €150 and repaid it with interest I would be perfectly happy with that.

Even if we do go down the plughole, the final bill will be less than 20% of the deposit.

Not returning the deposit with the interest they'll get from it at the end of the term in my mind is completely wrong also. Profiting from mitigating their risk it is just completely unjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Alannah,

Can you private message the account number of your business and the company name, authorised contact(s) for it, and the address and telephone number? I will then pass the details to our Business/SMEs department.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

Advertisement