Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.243 B-Tip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Thanks cass the question was actually for you. I was just wondering what way your supporting it. Especially when she is putting them in the same hole.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When testing ammo i always give the rifle the best possible opportunity to perform at it's best. This means rock solid front rest, and rear bag. In necessary a rifle/gun clamp (like the ones used for cleaning).

However in the field it's a bipod or gate/post and free hold on the rear of the stock. I load the bipod and take the shot. I know the gun is as accurate as it is so it's just up to me to hold it as steady. I also have a "sand sock". Like a sand bag of a front rest it's literally just an old sock, with lining and filled with sand then tied shut. It's soft, malleable yet takes the shape of the fore end of the rifle when i want to shoot of a gate, post or other item used for support.

As for free hand shots. Lets say i try avoid them where possible. I've not got the best free hand shot. After 80 - 100 yards i'm lost.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Cass wrote: »
    As for free hand shots. Lets say i try avoid them where possible. I've not got the best free hand shot. After 80 - 100 yards i'm lost.

I think not many of us do anymore due to our tendency to add mods and bipods and buy heavy barrelled rifles.
    You'd be surprised how quick it comes to you once you leave the bipod at home.

Would you believe i rarely have the bipod on the rifle. At first it was because when i did, and then attached the sling to the bipod it was uncomfortable on my shoulder, but when i realised the difference in balance without the bipod (3/4 lb) i left it off.

Now i bring it in the jeep as there are a few places where i know the shot will most likely be prone so i attach it before going into these permissions, but 90% of the time it's off.

With just the mod on the rifle is perfectly balanced.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Would you believe i rarely have the bipod on the rifle. At first it was because when i did, and then attached the sling to the bipod it was uncomfortable on my shoulder, but when i realised the difference in balance without the bipod (3/4 lb) i left it off.

Now i bring it in the jeep as there are a few places where i know the shot will most likely be prone so i attach it before going into these permissions, but 90% of the time it's off.

With just the mod on the rifle is perfectly balanced.

I stand corrected :D
    A couple of years back I got fed up of the bipod getting caught in my hood and dragging out of me so I left it off.
    Now I only use it when I'm foxing and shots are more likely to be further out.

• Advertisement

silverfox1 wrote: »
    I stand corrected :D
    It's okay, you ca sit back down. :D

Not correcting you at all lad. You're dead right. The bipod can make a world of difference especially with people's fondness for heavier barreled rifles. If i take the bipod AND mod off it feels like i could hold the rifle all day. I'd say other than the actual weight there is a mental aspect. IOW i assume it'll be heavier with all the gear on so it feels more than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Just back from the range and sorted.

I tried a few Hornady 75gr HP. They were adequate and acted much like the SST. No drp between 100 to 200 yards. Groups were between 0.5 & 1 moa at both distances. I would get a nice clover leaf then one or two outside the group.

I moved onto the Federal 95gr Nosler BT. Unbelievable accuracy and repeatability. They were one holing at 100 and clover leafing at 200. My first shot at 200 was smack, bang in the middle of the 1" bull and the others dead on for elevation just a fraction to the right (that could be me). The drop between 100 and 200 was just an inch so i have a nice point blank range.

So all sorted. Just need to exchange the rest of the Hornady for the Federal and i'm set for the season.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. All very helpful.
    Cass do you mind me asking where you got the 95g Federal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Cass do you mind me asking where you got the 95g Federal ?

+1 cheers

Sean Harding in Stakelums. He only has about 7 boxes left as I took 5, but he has some left and no bother getting more in.

Is he far from Portlaoise buddy ,

• Advertisement

From Kildare town I'd be in Stakelums in just under 1 hour so he would be just 35-40 mins from Portlaoise. Now that's from the motorway turn for port.

From Kildare town I'd be in Stakelums in just under 1 hour so he would be just 35-40 mins from Portlaoise. Now that's from the motorway turn for port.

Il race ya lad !! See who get the last few boxes , cheers for that !

No bother. I think he is fairly cheap on the hornady aswell. Well compared to my local guy anyway.

About 45 minutes down the M8. He is on racecourse park, nenagh road, thurles.
    TriggerPL wrote: »
    Il race ya lad !! See who get the last few boxes , cheers for that !
    Ill ring him in the morning and ask him to hold the remaining boxes for me. I win. :D

Advertisement