Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABS/ASR Fault - Do I need to replace the whole CV Joint?

Options
  • 06-07-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Folks,

I recently got the ABS/ESR lights staying on permanently on the dash and popped into a garage to get it hooked up to the diagnostic. Error code related to front driver ABS sensor but due to time constraints I couldn't get any work done at the time. He reset the fault code but it returned on the way down the road and has stayed on since. Brakes are fine otherwise, just got the CRW a couple of months back.

Anyway, I've just brought it to a local garage who reckon the reluctor (ABS) ring is probably cracked and that the whole CV joint needs to be replaced as the ring sits inside. I've read elsewhere that the rings can be replaced individually so the question is, has anyone done this? Do you know if this is possible/not too labour intensive, and if not, how many hours labour to replace the whole joint?

Thanks,

BB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hi Folks,

I recently got the ABS/ESR lights staying on permanently on the dash and popped into a garage to get it hooked up to the diagnostic. Error code related to front driver ABS sensor but due to time constraints I couldn't get any work done at the time. He reset the fault code but it returned on the way down the road and has stayed on since. Brakes are fine otherwise, just got the CRW a couple of months back.

Anyway, I've just brought it to a local garage who reckon the reluctor (ABS) ring is probably cracked and that the whole CV joint needs to be replaced as the ring sits inside. I've read elsewhere that the rings can be replaced individually so the question is, has anyone done this? Do you know if this is possible/not too labour intensive, and if not, how many hours labour to replace the whole joint?

Thanks,

BB

Vehicle engine year

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Buddha Breath

05 ducato 2.8jtd.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

to replace the ring , if one can be sourced seperaately , the cv joint has to be removed from the hub , thats where most of the work is tbh. a good s/h one from a breakers could be a cheaper option . I don't know off hand if rings are available on their own , any good motorfactors will tell you that . to get the CV out , it's safely lift or that side , wheel off , centre cv nut off , crack the bottom ball joint , , open the cv clips , pull cv out of hub and then cv off of shaft .

Thanks "Aidan". I've seen individual rings available in a couple of places:

http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/catalog/product/view/id/1781/s/abs-reluctor-ring/category/17/

http://www.reluctorrings.com/cars/fiat

I guess if the CV joint needs to come off anyway it's the labour that's gonna cost you!

Thanks for the replies guys, useful as ever!

BB

Just an update for anyone who may experience this problem in the future;

Fiat don't supply the outer CV joint separately, so in order to replace a €16 ABS ring they expect you to replace the entire drive shaft! F***ing chancers! Will try and find an after market part so, although heading for the ferry on Saturday.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The standard reluctor rings on ebay for the normal abs model for cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Ring-for-Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Citroen-Jumper-/200908485436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec714333c

ESR cv might be different.

To be honest unless you're doing it yourself, the labour for removing, polishing the surfaces, heating the ring an drifting it on will probably cover the cost of a spurious cv, no guarantee they won't break it putting it on either.

Haven't changed them on the ducato, I've changed them on passat the slotted type ring was easy to put on this on looks like it might be easy to crack drifting it on unless you've really prepared the surface well.

Thanks Paddy. I've ordered a new spurious outer joint for €70 and I'm told there's approx 3 hrs labour in fitting one due to having to disconnect suspension, ball joint, hub etc. Will still work out cheaper than €700 Fiat are quoting for an entire drive shaft, plus the labour.

Thanks,

BB

Fiat don't supply the outer CV joint separately, so in order to replace a €16 ABS ring they expect you to replace the entire drive shaft! F***ing chancers! Will try and find an after market part so, although heading for the ferry on Saturday.:)

They're not the only ones I'm looking at swapping two half shafts for the sake of two CV boots on an E30 BMW...I'm not forking out til I wreck the old ones trying it the hard way though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

They're not the only ones I'm looking at swapping two half shafts for the sake of two CV boots on an E30 BMW...I'm not forking out til I wreck the old ones trying it the hard way though. :D
    I've images of you drifting around roundabouts now in my head!

Ah she's only the baby 316i, reckon I need something for the winter given how well my road salting protests went down.

Never have that problem in the van...something to be said for a live axle RWD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement