Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows or android

Options
  • 06-07-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

My daughter has money burning a hole in her pocket for a phone - question is how best to spend it. Choice is between Nokia lumia 520 Windows phone, the HTC desire x and a Huawei ascend, all around e130.,also as she'll be looking to use it on 48 months, are they locked? Advice please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If all she does is phone text and some Facebook then I'd go for the windows phone. But you know she really wants an iPhone...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

damian139 wrote: »
    My daughter has money burning a hole in her pocket for a phone - question is how best to spend it. Choice is between Nokia lumia 520 Windows phone, the HTC desire x and a Huawei ascend, all around e130.,also as she'll be looking to use it on 48 months, are they locked? Advice please!

If she's never had a smartphone then I'd go with the 520 its a decent little phone for the price and she can change the back cover over to another colour for around €15.

Its a Nokia so they are pretty hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

You're bang on the money-she does want an iphone.
    She's 13 though and I'd rather she lost or dropped a nokia lumia than a e300 iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Unless the nokia's hardware is a lot better (don't know a lot about that particular phone I'll be honest), I'd always go android - there are a lot more apps available compared to windows, and so you can do a lot more with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Android is the best and most popular platform right now. It has 80% of the European market... as a young person who may be facing 2 years with one device, she should go for the most relevant.

Windows phone is fine for nerds and early adopters... but signs right now are that it has not taken off particularly well and developers are reluctant to develop for it.

iPhone is good, but my understanding is that the young people consider it an old persons phone.

Remember that she is young and impressionable and will end up living and working in a world very different to what we grew up in... She should be exposed to the most relevant technology - because that is going to be a major part of her development and informal education for the future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Best get the Nokia 520 as its a great phone for the price and will run very well. To get a decent Andriod phone you really need to spend a lot more than 130. Avoid budget Android phone's!

Advertisement