Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoned Garden

• 06-07-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to change part of my garden to a stoned section like this http://www.landscapesolutionsmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Decorative-Stone1.jpg but not circular. Is it going to be a big job? I've never done any garden work bar cutting the grass :) Been looking for a good video of it being done on youtube but none of them are that great.

I understand you need to take up the grass from the area I want, put down weed killer presumably and then cover it with the black plastic stuff. Do I need the mesh (with the holes) too? And then just pour the stones over it? Is there anything I'm leaving out?

How deep do I have to dig down?

Please excuse my crappy garden skills!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

No one want to offer some advice? :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Think you have it bang on there, put down 2 layers of weed protector. I did exactly what you have and didn't use mesh just the weed protector. Make sure you burn the hell out of the area first with weed killer, I didn't do it on 1 small section and its breaking my heart even with the weed protector!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mypex is around 45-50 euro for a 1.1 x 50 meter roll...(1.5 x 50 around 60 euro).

Install it and stake it down with plastic or metal weed membrane pegs.

Cut an "X" Shape where you want your plants.

Fold back that X shape and pop in your plants.

Then cover over the remaining area with the stone that you are using.

Advertisement