Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't mods believe you sharing computers

Options
  • 06-07-2013 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I have been reading a few thread in the "prison" forum.
    How come the mods never believe you when they think you have more than one account but you share a conputer.

You could have one person who is grand and one Person who is abusive on boards. Using the same computer. Then that goes against you if you get banned.

It's kind if stupid IMO as not everyone has there own computer...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah I'd say there's more than that though, posting on similar topics / in similar forums, similar writing styles etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There are loads more things that can be checked using Modutils (and I'd imagine the Admins in the Prison forum have a lot more than just Modutils at their disposal), I highly doubt a straight IP match would be considered enough to ban somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

And the day I thought the prison forum was for real prisoners in mountjoy or cloverfield prisons lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I highly doubt a straight IP match would be considered enough to ban somebody.

This.

Aside from the technical tools available to us, there are also a range of other measures that contribute to our ability to spot a re-reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This.

Aside from the technical tools available to us, there are also a range of other measures that contribute to our ability to spot a re-reg.

do tell :)

• Advertisement

do tell :)

But telling would make it easier for re-regs to go undetected, if they know what they're up against? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are intangible things that mods can use too. Re-regs rarely change, they continue to post in the same way and in the same forums and engage in the same asshattery that got them banned in the first place.

IP checks and the other tools typically just confirm what the mod already knew anyway.

There's also the fair argument that if share a computer with someone who acts the dick, then it's your responsibility to sort them out, it's not boards's obligation to ensure you don't get misidentified.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This.

I can tell this is a re-reg from some of the posts and having seen quite a few re-reg's in my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xzx

But people are banned on just IPs, no point saying their not.

xzx wrote: »

Statements like this display a massive misunderstanding of what IPs are and how they are used.

So, "new" user, what do you understand about IPs, because I put it to you that we most certainly do not ban on just IPs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As you read this, look up. You see that little camera thingy on your laptop screen - well, the boards coders can access that and take a picture of you when you read the ban message.

jwzx.jpg

We then compare them to pictures we grab with a boards copyrighted tool called muppetcheck against a picture we steal from your webcam when you re-reg..

Cookie+Monster+4+protected.JPG

If there's a match then you're history. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Jeepers creepers! Does it work on phones too??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

With phones we get gps coordinates as well, even better.. ;)

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

The hamsters are ever watchful..

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Don't piss off the hamsters.

lPzgw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I knew it... the mods are from sesame street and controlled by a bunch of lab hamsters as they're not smart enough to control their own actions;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

seamus wrote: »
    There's also the fair argument that if share a computer with someone who acts the dick, then it's your responsibility to sort them out, it's not boards's obligation to ensure you don't get misidentified.

No there isn't. If I got banned out of ah for something I do, my girlfriend wouldn't be circumventing it by posting there herself. But both of us seen as one because it's the same PC and her having to be responsible for what i post is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No there isn't. If I got banned out of ah for something I do, my girlfriend wouldn't be circumventing it by posting there herself. But both of us seen as one because it's the same PC and her having to be responsible for what i post is nonsense.
    If you were being a consistent asshat and that resulted in your IP being effectively blacklisted, then yes I would say that the onus is then on her to sort you out.

I see no reason why boards should have to bend itself backwards to both deny you access while allowing her access. The same applies and has applied to businesses. One person acts the dick, the whole company gets blacklisted, it then becomes the company's responsibility to sort it. It's actually an unspoken internet rule - the same applies for email spammers, hackers, etc. The IP is banned, it's the responsibility of the IP owner to sort out the behaviour which caused it.

I do agree that at a basic level simply sharing an IP isn't good enough reason to ban another account, and 99.99% of the time people aren't banned on IP alone. But there are the more persistent cases of asshattery where they just go ahead and keep nuking accounts from an IP until the person gets the message.

It's a very rare action usually only taken against spectacularly peristent asshats though, I don't know if it's been done since polmki. It's usually only used for spammers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But definitely point in saying they're not. (Being true, and all).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Steve wrote: »
    As you read this, look up. You see that little camera thingy on your laptop screen - well, the boards coders can access that and take a picture of you when you read the ban message.

I really should wear trousers more often.

• Advertisement

I really should wear trousers more often.
    Especially with underpants like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I find if a poster has the letter 'e' in their name they're generally a re-reg.

My method has been 100% correct to date.

Also, what's an IP?

.ak wrote: »

My method has been 100% correct to date.

Also, what's an IP?

Fcuk, you caught me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.ak wrote: »

Uh-oh....

jwzx.jpg

We then compare them to pictures we grab with a boards copyrighted tool called muppetcheck against a picture we steal from your webcam when you re-reg..

I picked the worst time to be naked as I browse through boards.

I knew it... the mods are from sesame street and controlled by a bunch of lab hamsters as they're not smart enough to control their own actions;)

Yes, and keeping an ever watchful eye over proceedings are Dav and DeVore:

muppet-show.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xzx

Dades wrote: »
    But definitely point in saying they're not. (Being true, and all).

You just Grammar Nazi'ed me!!:eek:

I deleted a post, you can see it, didn't have time to compose it properly but it'll do. Stick it up with a reply there if you want.

You just Grammar Nazi'ed me!!:eek:
    To be fair, only in the course of clarifying an untruth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

zenno wrote: »
    And the day I thought the prison forum was for real prisoners in mountjoy or cloverfield prisons lol :o

Lol ^^

Op just because you a share a computer doesn't prohibit you in any way from creating your own account .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jwzx.jpg

Fuck

Advertisement