Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitrates in water

• 07-07-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hello.

After a break in our water supply, our council have issued notice tonight that we are being supplied by another local source, until the break is fixed. They say that due to "a slightly elevated level of nitrates" the water is not suitable for infants under six months old. My question is, is this water safe for our dogs to drink?

Sorry for what might be a silly question, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I would be of the opinion that if it's not safe for us it's not safe for our pets.

Bottled water is very cheap these days in the likes of Lidle and Aldi. Big 5 litre bottles for under €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Thanks so much for your reply. That was also my way of thinking, so we stocked up on bottled water this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

iirc drinking water with an excess of nitrates is linked to a higher level of cases of stomach cancer.

If its a long term issue you can install a water filter just for drinking water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

eirator wrote: »
    iirc drinking water with an excess of nitrates is linked to a higher level of cases of stomach cancer.

If its a long term issue you can install a water filter just for drinking water.

Thanks for your reply. For the duration of the repairs, we only gave them bottled water. But all is back to normal now.

Advertisement