Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question.

Options
  • 07-07-2013 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Apologies if this is the wrong section i am not quite sure which section would be most suitable.

I am interested in doing a course in computer programming and haven't got the best leaving cert. I really need to know if there is somebody i could talk to about courses would be best to pursue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Fas are running a few courses that you may be interested in. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links here. Try searching for them on the website. Or if your interested in going to college. You could do a fetac level 5 award in a post leaving cert college. The award will allow you to progress to a degree course in a third level college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 duffmancb

Thanks man I've been checking out the fetac courses and I wasn't sure if I could get into a college to go further after I finished so thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

duffmancb wrote: »
    Thanks man I've been checking out the fetac courses and I wasn't sure if I could get into a college to go further after I finished so thanks for the help!

If your a mature student you may be able to go straight into a third level college. But as far as I know it's too late to apply for this year. But the plc colleges accept applications right up into September.
    You'll surely be able to progress as long as you put the work in. I got accepted into 3 third level colleges as a mature student this year and my fetac results haven't even been released yet. Just the fact that I done a level 5 course and a reference from the college strengthed up my application nicely. Also, my leaving cert results are awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Apologies if this is the wrong section i am not quite sure which section would be most suitable.

I am interested in doing a course in computer programming and haven't got the best leaving cert. I really need to know if there is somebody i could talk to about courses would be best to pursue?

Where do you live? Your local VEC should have an Adult education guidance counsellor

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Iopu wrote: »
    If your a mature student you may be able to go straight into a third level college. But as far as I know it's too late to apply for this year. But the plc colleges accept applications right up into September.
    You'll surely be able to progress as long as you put the work in. I got accepted into 3 third level colleges as a mature student this year and my fetac results haven't even been released yet. Just the fact that I done a level 5 course and a reference from the college strengthed up my application nicely. Also, my leaving cert results are awful!

thanks for the reply im 22 and i think its 23 to apply as a mature student not sure? its really great to hear you got so many options after the plc as regards to entering different colleges, makes it feel all the more worth it!

• Advertisement

Where do you live? Your local VEC should have an Adult education guidance counsellor

I'm in Tallaght mate ill get onto their website and get more info first iv'e heard of them thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm in Tallaght mate ill get onto their website and get more info first iv'e heard of them thanks!

http://www.codubvec.ie/Adult-Education/Adult-Guidance-and-Information-Service.aspx

Tallaght Adult Education Guidance Service (Tallaght/Knocklyon/Ballyboden)
    Educational Guidance Counsellor / Guidance Information Officer
    The Enterprise Centre, Rear of Bryan S. Ryan, Main Road
    Tallaght, Dublin 24
    Ph: 4515733

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement