Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhaust Physics?

• 07-07-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I'm wondering what affects modifying an exhaust system will have on a car , negative and positive. the car in question is a Nissan Micra K11 , the car has an exhaust manifold followed closely by a cat converter and then a straight pipe till the muffler at the end, I plan to chop off the muffler and weld a fancy conical striaght pipe on instead for cosmetics and performance. from experience with dirtbikes I have the idea that messing with the exhaust(length,size,etc.) will affect the....emm lets call it tuning of the overall engine, will this be the case for this.
    This is just a bit of messing around with an old car and it will not be used on the road , i just want to improve my knowledge of cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Yes exhaust tuning is something that performance heads look at and if you have the means of doing it for "personal" use then why not.

The only things I would say are that (a) is it worth the hassle and effort on a 1litre car and (b) IMHO its more likely that if you reduce back pressure in the system then you might loose performance instead of gaining it. You'll gain a few dB in noise though :D

Have fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

shamwari wrote: »
    Yes exhaust tuning is something that performance heads look at and if you have the means of doing it for "personal" use then why not.

The only things I would say are that (a) is it worth the hassle and effort on a 1litre car and (b) IMHO its more likely that if you reduce back pressure in the system then you might loose performance instead of gaining it. You'll gain a few dB in noise though :D

Have fun! :)

ahemm...I'ts a 1.4 actually haha. thanks for the help!

Advertisement