Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/Jogging routes in Athlone

Options
  • 07-07-2013 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm looking for a walking/jogging route in the Athlone area with nice scenery. I plan on starting the C25K programme and I'm not into doing it on main roads with lots of traffic.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

I'm looking for a walking/jogging route in the Athlone area with nice scenery. I plan on starting the C25K programme and I'm not into doing it on main roads with lots of traffic.
    Any ideas?

The coosan block sounds right up your alley.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Try the Golden mile down past the Boat Club / Army Barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

Great, thanks for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Some joggers, walkers and dog-walkers use the IDA business park on the Dublin road. It might not have the best scenery but it's nicely landscaped and there's very little traffic during the daytime apart from the morning and evening rush.

Some joggers, walkers and dog-walkers use the IDA business park on the Dublin road. It might not have the best scenery but it's nicely landscaped and there's very little traffic during the daytime apart from the morning and evening rush.

Never would've thought of there, but it'd be ideal. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

I use the IDA park myself. Its ideal for what you are trying to achieve. Its very quiet during the day. Or if you go for your run after the evening rush its quiet as well. Its about 1.25 miles of a loop all around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

The walk along the Shannon behind Gentex / Lesiure Centre - No1 as we use to call it. You start near the bridge, walk right around and into Talbot Avenue and back to where you started.

The Big Meadow? There is always a bit of a track, along the Shannon

Clonown Road is quite enough

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aisinikins2121

If you're able to get out as far as Port Lick forest it's a lovely area for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Most of the Monksland Lap (Arramount->Super Valu turn right -> Old Tuam Road -> Arramount) has wide footpaths. 40 minute walk, quicker jog/run depending on what your having.

One small dodgy section where road narrows, but this is like 1% of the overall journey. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Most of the Monksland Lap (Arramount->Super Valu turn right -> Old Tuam Road -> Arramount) has wide footpaths. 40 minute walk, quicker jog/run depending on what your having.

One small dodgy section where road narrows, but this is like 1% of the overall journey. Enjoy!

Quicker to jog or run? Wow :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Hopefully that section will have a proper foothpath next year according to RosCoCo

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

If you're able to get out as far as Port Lick forest it's a lovely area for a walk.

Was going to recommend Port Lick as well! Great place for jogging and even in this weather its usually peaceful out there!

Thanks a million for all the recommendations. Very helpful!:)

Advertisement