Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd love to come home.. any jobs?

Options
  • 07-07-2013 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I went to University in Scotland four years ago and have just graduated with a 2:1 Honours in Marketing. Now I'm at a cross roads in my life, where I've got a couple of short term jobs coming up, but no clear career path or direction. I think in times like this it's within the human psyche to want to return to somewhere safe such as home, and for me that's Ireland.

What terrifies me however, is that if I move home I may never get a job. Are things really still that bad? Is there any sign of improvement in the economy. I've loved my time away from Ireland, and despite only being in Scotland, I think it's opened my mind up a little bit. But right now, if someone offered me a good job in Dublin, with a future, I'd take their hand, arm and shoulder off!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can't comment on the Dublin market, but to be honest I doubt yet another student with a marketing degree will raise much interest!

I'd suggest you try and get on a graduate program with one of the large European companies, get some experience and pick up a language or two. Remember Irish companies need to export so a profile that includes foreign experience and languages is going to be much more interesting to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chrussell2 wrote: »
    where I've got a couple of short term jobs coming up
    If they're related to your job, take them. 2.1 Honours + experience is always better, as not everyone take on "green" graduates fresh out of the class room.

Advertisement