Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would people be shocked at your thoughts?

• 07-07-2013 9:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭

Do you think the people who know you would be shocked at the thoughts which run through your head?

In my case, that's a yes. Have some very strange thoughts indeed not to mention the sexual ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Not really, people who know me know what I'm thinking. E.g. if I think someone is an asshole, people will know based on my tone, facial expression and what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Most definitely, yes. :)

OP, you aren't weird, it's normal.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

This thread is a great example of where the (perverted) OP should have kept his thoughts to himself.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056987761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Alot of peoole have read 50 Shades anyway....they wouldnt be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do you think the people who know you would be shocked at the thoughts which run through your head?

In my case, that's a yes. Have some very strange thoughts indeed not to mention the sexual ones.

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Thank God my thoughts and thinkings for the most part are in my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Tried being honest with a girl I like recently. Have learned that it's better to process my thoughts a little more before uttering them.
    In an attempt to let her know that I like her, I told her she interested me on many levels..."You are the perfect girl, I can see us chatting on the couch while I give you a foot massage and I can also see my chaining you to my radiator and fcking the sh1t out of you."

Better to stick with some hollywood version like 'you complete me' or 'You had me at hello' or some other such unreal sh1t. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Yeah but you can think stuff youd never actually do. like, when i see a parent walking down the road with a wee toddler walkin beside them or on one of those leashes i always think "how would they react if i ran up and took a 45 with their pride and joy." or i wonder would the kid lift off the ground. or in things like really formal interviews and other situations i always wonder what would happen if i just, i dunno, pissed myself or calmly took a dump in the corner. its all in my head though. id never do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I would say so yes. A lot of my thoughts are politically incorrect to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 henrystolan

Better to stick with some hollywood version like 'you complete me' or 'You had me at hello' or some other such unreal sh1t. :(

"you had me at howya" doesn't quite has the same ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

On boards? Yes

Actually everywhere probably, which is why they're in my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Some of them, but I assume everyone has some mad thoughts. Mad scenarios are my stock in trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If people knew the shít in my head I would be locked up, and I have no shame in declaring that much. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Yes. The person I present to the world is a lot different to the person I really am... My thoughts would definitely shock most people that think they know me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Yes

My inside voice stays where it's supposed to. It's better for everyone that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

Yeah but you can think stuff youd never actually do. like, when i see a parent walking down the road with a wee toddler walkin beside them or on one of those leashes i always think "how would they react if i ran up and took a 45 with their pride and joy." or i wonder would the kid lift off the ground. or in things like really formal interviews and other situations i always wonder what would happen if i just, i dunno, pissed myself or calmly took a dump in the corner. its all in my head though. id never do it.

I often think what would happen if I spat in my boss' face or my friend's face as we talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Seeing a good looking friend, my thoughts: 'Mmm look at the arse on that I'd ride the ****e out of her!'

My words: 'Howya hows it going?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Yeah they'd know the true extent of my perversions. And figure out how much of an asshole I am. Or they'd try put me in a mental hospital.

My thoughts are often at odds with the measured exterior I try to present, sometimes wildly.

I think most peoples are, and I think it's normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

My inside voice stays where it's supposed to. It's better for everyone that way.

That's a skill I have yet to master, but most people don't seem to mind. They just pretend I didn't just say that. It works for both parties involved :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Aren't the thoughts that stay in your head exactly the ones you've deemed unsuitable for general consumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Fortunately I've a filter between my brain and my mouth***. It's a dark and twisted place at times and best if some of those thoughts just stay in there on their own.

Having said that, sometimes I think life would be a lot easier and less stressful if you were one of these people that just didn't give a **** and said what you thought, all the time.

Dr. Cox's wife from Scrubs comes to mind. At times I've wished I was more like her. (mentally, not physically, if I was more like her physically I'd never leave the house and would spend lots of time squatted over the mirror***).

*** Sometimes the filter malfunctions :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

wexie wrote: »

Dr. Cox's wife from Scrubs comes to mind. At times I've wished I was more like her. (mentally, not physically, if I was more like her physically I'd never leave the house and would spend lots of time squatted over the mirror***).

Jac Naylor is another one that comes to mind, same thing (in both cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Shocked - yes. Surprised? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I remember being in a packed lift once and thinking what would happen if I just started screaming for the sake of it. Weird, very. And that is a tame thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

I think people I know would be shocked by my internal evaluation of them. I think in our heads we have everyone we know tucked into a box. We sort of sum them up in our minds.

I also fake empathy and sometimes even express sympathy whereas I'm not that moved by it. This actually makes me feel very ashamed, if someone did d same to me I'd b quite upset :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'm not sure about being shocked by my thoughts but a few years back in my drinking days I vividly recall a mental dream I had.

Please take into account that I was gulping down loads of White Lightning at the time.

Anyway, I was back in Swansea just leaving the bus station looking to buy bass guitar strings. It was dark at the time but all the street lights were on. I headed towards the music shop (which isn't even near the bus station) and as I got close to it I realised that I had an orangutan hanging from my neck.
    His long arms were around my neck and he/she was hanging underneath me sucking my cock.

I gave up drinking not long after this.

p.s. I didn't buy the strings after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No, tbh. Genuinely. Not saying my thoughts are pure as the driven snow or anything, but extremely dark, sinister thoughts - can't say I have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

No, tbh. Genuinely. Not saying my thoughts are pure as the driven snow or anything, but extremely dark, sinister thoughts - can't say I have them.

don't think we're neccesarily talking about sinister ones, but mental ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Don't forget God can hear your thoughts while preparing your sentence in the meanwhile...

...at least that's what the Christian stripe of religion tells us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Tried being honest with a girl I like recently. Have learned that it's better to process my thoughts a little more before uttering them.
    In an attempt to let her know that I like her, I told her she interested me on many levels..."You are the perfect girl, I can see us chatting on the couch while I give you a foot massage and I can also see my chaining you to my radiator and fcking the sh1t out of you."

You smooth tongued devil :P

Yup.

Sexual thoughts, surrealist thoughts, suicidal thoughts, very politically incorrect thoughts, borderline sociopathic thoughts.....they're all in there and they're all bouncing around like squash balls against the walls of my brain.

If people knew what I was thinking all the time no-one would ever want to be my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Yes, everyone thinks im a nutter. Sexually i think everyone should be swingers because being with one person all your life is just really soul destroying( the broken marriage stats/relationships would back me up on this) I fcuking hate the way we look at sex in this country and im never one to hold back and tell people how i think of them for living their lives this way. Why shouldnt a women want to experience a nice fit bloke with an 8 inch c0ck when her fat husband is unfit,and packing a small 4 incher or even a nice toned husband wanting to experience what its like to be with a stunning blonde model type even while married to some big heffer. Life's about variety and we shoudl understand this and throw out all these bull**** traditions thats holding us as a species back.

Im one of the most honest people you can meet though it gets me into alot of bother everywhere i go. example would be when im asked doesnt this or that one look good i just tell the truth and say "no, they look a fcuking mess" and then tell them how to get in shape. You can guess how that one goes down, they end up saying sure you know it all dont you yoloc. Even on facebook when i see people posting pics and others saying "stunning chick etc.." i then write "dont talk ****e and tell her the truth" Again, you know how that one goes down lol.

Im also a leader in every aspect of my life, i never follow anyones idea's and hate when i see people not breaking their own mould and trying new things. They get stuck in the same sh1te theyre peer's do and end up with a miserable life and wondering why their so depressed.

Im always telling people that they are fcuking idiots for going to a doctor looking pills that they think is going to solve all their problems. Sick of telling them to find the root cause of what's making them unhappy and fcuking sort it and while their at it, start eating good fcuking food. How the fcuk is anyone suppose to be happy eating food that shouldnt even be fit for human consumption, theres more fcuking nutrition in the cardboard box that this sh1te is stored in but we all know how this one goes down with them aswell. Yep you guessed it, i know it all.

Theres more but i forget them sitting here as i type.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

I think people I know would be shocked by my internal evaluation of them. I think in our heads we have everyone we know tucked into a box. We sort of sum them up in our minds.

I also fake empathy and sometimes even express sympathy whereas I'm not that moved by it. This actually makes me feel very ashamed, if someone did d same to me I'd b quite upset :(

Then don't do it, live with integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Right now I am thinking of whether to cut my toe-nails or leave them til tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Maybe. Fact is, plenty of people have fúcked up thoughts. This is absolutely indisputable. You aren't different or strange for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Mylina wrote: »
    The person I present to the world is a lot different to the person I really am...

The person you really are includes the ability to filter your thoughts before you speak, so that you maintain empathy with your fellow beings. Everybody has thoughts in their head they choose not to express publicly, not out of cowardice, but because we intrinsically recognise the value of expressing our thoughts in a manner which maintains relationships.

As we age, we often change the rating on that filter. This is why older people can seem to act & speak in a manner which might be considered as being a 'dirty-old-so-and-so'. I have seen close relatives who lived fairly prudish lifestyles become foul-mouthed in the months before they died, as that part of the brain which filtered thoughts was weakened by their illness. My own verbal communication style can be a little explicit, though hopefully it is rarely ever rude or hurtful.

We are all a little odd in our own heads, and that endangers nobody. Taking those thoughts out and acting on them is where perversion really begins.

Z

yoloc wrote: »
    Im one of the most honest people you can meet though it gets me into alot of bother everywhere i go. example would be when im asked doesnt this or that one look good i just tell the truth and say "no, they look a fcuking mess" and then tell them how to get in shape.

Perhaps the reason you get in trouble is that you confuse honesty with vulgarity? Telling somebody 'they look a f***ing mess' is probably hurtful to them, which your opinion should not be. If you don't like what they are wearing, and they ask your opinion (or somebody else does) you could be equally honest by saying "it does not really appeal to my taste. I don't think that ____ suits you / her / them".

Far too many people confuse vulgarity with truthfulness. Vulgarity sells, of course, so the likes of Simon Cowell might like to be vulgar to X-Factor contestants in order to get higher ratings, but you can be sure he would be a little less vulgar with close friends. Watching him give less vulgar feedback may not sell TV advertising space, but it would be more effective as feedback to the contestants.

Z

• Advertisement

Zen65 wrote: »
    Perhaps the reason you get in trouble is that you confuse honesty with vulgarity? Telling somebody 'they look a f***ing mess' is probably hurtful to them, which your opinion should not be. If you don't like what they are wearing, and they ask your opinion (or somebody else does) you could be equally honest by saying "it does not really appeal to my taste. I don't think that ____ suits you / her / them".

Far too many people confuse vulgarity with truthfulness. Vulgarity sells, of course, so the likes of Simon Cowell might like to be vulgar to X-Factor contestants in order to get higher ratings, but you can be sure he would be a little less vulgar with close friends. Watching him give less vulgar feedback may not sell TV advertising space, but it would be more effective as feedback to the contestants.

Z

No i dont dress anything up and never beat about the bush. If someone is a fat mess and another asks me how they look, im not going to dress it up with any fancy words to try and make it sound better for them. The fact of the matter is that i have a fat fcuker right in front of me who looks like they need took out the back and put down so i tell them how i see it, how they take my words is a matter for themselves. I have met people like myself in life and when they give me a mouth full, i actully thank them instead of going on the defence. The world is full of false people and the quicker they come round to my thinking, the quicker itll become a better place.

You have to be cruel to be kind in this world because if people like i suggest above dont listen to people like me, they live miserable lives and even end up costing the tax payer quite alot of money in the long run and the quicker they get their head out of their arse and start looking after themselves, the quicker they will become happy and less strain on our health service and maybe they wont end up with their heart exploding or even tumours grwoing out of their arse when the big C comes knocking on their door because of the lifestyle they lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

"Calling it as it is" = code for being a c*nt.

No you don't "have to" be "cruel to be kind", you can tell people the truth (if it's your business to do so) in a frank, blunt manner without resorting to insults.

It's amazing the justifications some folks pull out of their asses for simply being horrible people. Admit it: you don't give a sh1t about helping people, you just enjoy being nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The worst is when you're genuinely having a sinister/sexual thought mid-conversation but you say the quiet bit loud and the loud bit quiet.

Mortifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I have the odd disturbing thought but I think the main issue is that people would be rather confused by my thought processes. I have no clue what's going on in there half of the time.. It gets stranger and stranger as the years go on. :D

No i dont dress anything up and never beat about the bush. If someone is a fat mess and another asks me how they look, im not going to dress it up with any fancy words to try and make it sound better for them. The fact of the matter is that i have a fat fcuker right in front of me who looks like they need took out the back and put down so i tell them how i see it, how they take my words is a matter for themselves. I have met people like myself in life and when they give me a mouth full, i actully thank them instead of going on the defence. The world is full of false people and the quicker they come round to my thinking, the quicker itll become a better place.

You have to be cruel to be kind in this world because if people like i suggest above dont listen to people like me, they live miserable lives and even end up costing the tax payer quite alot of money in the long run and the quicker they get their head out of their arse and start looking after themselves, the quicker they will become happy and less strain on our health service and maybe they wont end up with their heart exploding or even tumours grwoing out of their arse when the big C comes knocking on their door because of the lifestyle they lived.

You sound like a lovely person, so supportive and caring.

My very least favourite excuses for outright rudeness are

1. I just say it like I see it, if people get offended that's their problem.

2. I'm doing them a favour by not mincing my words, they should be grateful.

Neither of which are true. If you are offensive, you can expect people to be offended. You can't expect gratitude for rudeness, never mind for outright obnoxiousness.

No i dont dress anything up and never beat about the bush.

But you are dressing it up. You're offering an opinion and choosing to dress it up in unkind, hurtful words, which are not serving any purpose except to make you look bad and make somebody else feel bad about themselves.

Why not try this: next time you have a thought about somebody and you want to express it, consider it a challenge to speak your truth in a manner that will make somebody listen to your opinion, rather than simply forming a poor opinion about you!

Be at peace,

Z

"Calling it as it is" = code for being a c*nt.

No you don't "have to" be "cruel to be kind", you can tell people the truth (if it's your business to do so) in a frank, blunt manner without resorting to insults.

It's amazing the justifications some folks pull out of their asses for simply being horrible people. Admit it: you don't give a sh1t about helping people, you just enjoy being nasty.

I am helping them though, im telling them facts that others dont have the balls to do. One thing i always here out of fat people who lost all their weight. They all say to their friends/family, why didnt you tell me ho wbad i looked. Well, im that man, i tell people how it is, if they dont like it, tuff sh1te!

Life's about variety and we shoudl understand this and throw out all these bull**** traditions thats holding us as a species back.

I'm guessing that you're relatively young, and so you confuse the spice for the substance?

They say that variety is the spice of life . . . the thing that gives it flavour. This is true, in many ways. But a meal made only of spices has no nutrition, and the more important ingredient is the protein / nutrient in the form of meat or vegetable (or bean, etc).

In this analogy, the meat of life is the relationship between you and your fellow beings, especially those close to you. That relationship is nourished by your word and deed, and by theirs. Some traditions (politeness, etc) serve well to nourish those relationships and should not be dismissed as unimportant, or as being less important than your truth.

Let me prescribe this YouTube link for you. Try listening to the words and think about their meaning. I agree this is a little cheesy, but there is a lot of substance to it:

Then add spices to suit your own tastes.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Yup. I sometimes follow outrageous lines of thought, but it's more to outrage and get a rise out of myself. It's like my brain just sometimes decides it would be a laugh to troll my own consciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Good to hear I'm not the only secret pervert/nutter out there :)
    Yes, everyone thinks im a nutter. Sexually i think everyone should be swingers because being with one person all your life is just really soul destroying( the broken marriage stats/relationships would back me up on this) I fcuking hate the way we look at sex in this country and im never one to hold back and tell people how i think of them for living their lives this way. Why shouldnt a women want to experience a nice fit bloke with an 8 inch c0ck when her fat husband is unfit,and packing a small 4 incher or even a nice toned husband wanting to experience what its like to be with a stunning blonde model type even while married to some big heffer. Life's about variety and we shoudl understand this and throw out all these bull**** traditions thats holding us as a species back.

Im one of the most honest people you can meet though it gets me into alot of bother everywhere i go. example would be when im asked doesnt this or that one look good i just tell the truth and say "no, they look a fcuking mess" and then tell them how to get in shape. You can guess how that one goes down, they end up saying sure you know it all dont you yoloc. Even on facebook when i see people posting pics and others saying "stunning chick etc.." i then write "dont talk ****e and tell her the truth" Again, you know how that one goes down lol.

Im also a leader in every aspect of my life, i never follow anyones idea's and hate when i see people not breaking their own mould and trying new things. They get stuck in the same sh1te theyre peer's do and end up with a miserable life and wondering why their so depressed.

Im always telling people that they are fcuking idiots for going to a doctor looking pills that they think is going to solve all their problems. Sick of telling them to find the root cause of what's making them unhappy and fcuking sort it and while their at it, start eating good fcuking food. How the fcuk is anyone suppose to be happy eating food that shouldnt even be fit for human consumption, theres more fcuking nutrition in the cardboard box that this sh1te is stored in but we all know how this one goes down with them aswell. Yep you guessed it, i know it all.

Theres more but i forget them sitting here as i type.

You sound like a delight and the very reason people should quite often keep their opinions to themselves. You go out of your way to insult the way people look on facebook, why? Do you get a sick perversion in making others feel bad about themselves. Many people are very insecure about their bodies or how they look in general and what's the harm in throwing a nice compliment instead of going out of your way to insult. I could say a lot more about the rest of your post but as you seem like the type who is always right and everyone else wrong (and they need to hear about it) why bother?

• Advertisement
Advertisement