Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicking someone out?

Options
  • 07-07-2013 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

We bought our own house and let a third person move in with us. Basically she was renting and living with us. It was all a very lax situation and there was never any contracts or anything. She just arrived and we told her she could stay as long as she wanted or at least until we start a family. And she always said that was perfect because she'd hate to live in a house with a newborn.

So its 3 years on and we're thinking of having a family and over the past few months shes made one or two comments that is making me believe shes not going to leave without a fight...

We are going to sit her down and have a proper talk about it on wednesday night. Im just wondering where do we stand if she kicks up a fuss or whats the best way to broach this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As a licensee she has no rights; you can leave her stuff on the lawn and change the locks if it came to it. Obviously that would be extreme last step measures though! Talk to her first, explain that you may need her to leave at some point in the near future and that you will give her plenty of notice in advance. Judge how best to proceed based on her reaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You're damn lucky you're living there- which means she doesn't have any rights. The rules governing tenancies under the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act- do *not* apply- as the property is owner occupied.

Get rid of her ASAP- its not worth the stress of having someone like her around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

To be fair it sounds like the person is amicable enough. The op doesn't know yet what her reaction will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

djimi wrote: »
    As a licensee she has no rights; you can leave her stuff on the lawn and change the locks if it came to it. Obviously that would be extreme last step measures though! Talk to her first, explain that you may need her to leave at some point in the near future and that you will give her plenty of notice in advance. Judge how best to proceed based on her reaction.

Ah well now to be fair to her, shes actually alright. Shes a professional woman and shes very tidy and if we ran out of milk etc she'd be the first one to go shopping. In the few years there has never been an issue. And there might not be an issue here either, it was just one or two things she said that got me thinking.... and I just wanted to be sure of where I actually stand before I go talking to her....... just incase.

But appreciate all the advice... thanks alot everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ah yeah no Im not suggesting getting heavy handed with her from the start; obviously you want to approach this as pleasantly as you can initially! If it comes to it though a gentle reminder of her rights, or lack thereof, might not go amiss. Digging your heals in is not really an option when you can come home from work to find all of your belongings in black bags on the sidewalk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

djimi wrote: »
    Ah yeah no Im not suggesting getting heavy handed with her from the start; obviously you want to approach this as pleasantly as you can initially! If it comes to it though a gentle reminder of her rights, or lack thereof, might not go amiss. Digging your heals in is not really an option when you can come home from work to find all of your belongings in black bags on the sidewalk!

Sorry... didnt meant to quote you dijmi :o I was saying that to The Conductor..

But yes, as you said. I am going to approach this as gently as possible. And of course she has about a year or so to get herself together, so Im hoping it all goes over OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

...or let her stay until baby comes, it wont be long til she moves out!

Advertisement