Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil - Referee stabs player then the referee gets beheaded

• 07-07-2013 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

Another disaster in Brazil.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/south-american-football-referee-beheaded-fans-killing-player-084120459.html
    South American Football - Referee beheaded by fans for killing player

There were absolutely horrific scenes at an amateur football match in Brazil when spectators lynched a referee and put his head on a stake after he had killed a player.

The barely believable incident happened in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday.

According to reports in Brazil, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva (20) fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu (30) during a heated moment of a match.

Santos Abreu is believed to have argued and then struck the referee after being unhappy with a decision.
    It is believed the referee was carrying a knife throughout the match and fatally stabbed the player in retaliation.
    Santos Abreu was rushed to hospital but died from injuries on the way.
    Outraged by the incident, some spectators then apparently decided to inflict a gruesome revenge on the referee.

According to reports, the referee was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.
    One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. He has admitted to assaulting the referee but denied killing the man. Police are searching for two more suspects.
    They are currently viewing video footage of the incident filmed by a witness with a mobile phone.

In a statement, the regional delegate of Santa Ines, Valter Costa, who is looking after the case, said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I read this yesterday. Absolutely mantal stuff.

Apparently they beat him and quartered him before cutting off his head.

Why did the ref have a knife with him anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Same read this yesterday, a tragic story

Absolute madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

No matter how many times I read the headline / thread title, it doesn't get any less insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What is the world coming to. Everything about this is mental.

The ref was 30. Woops no he was 20. The player was 30.

• Advertisement

What happened the ref was beyond crazy. Animals that did that to him.

However, why was he carrying a knife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can't help but feel like the ref deserved it. Why on earth did he stab the player to begin with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Struggling to believe this. Truly horrific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I've heard of people losing there heads over football, but seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

:eek:

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would love to show this thread to some of our GAA referees especially Marty Duffy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deserved it? Just a bit harsh there i think. He probably had it for protection, however foolish it was.

And however bad his actions were, the reactions of the crowd are unforgivable. I hope every single person involved in this spends the rest of their lives in the worst prison imaginable. ****ing scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    The ref was 30.
    No, the stabbed player was 30, the ref was 20.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can't help but feel like the ref deserved it. Why on earth did he stab the player to begin with?

facepalm.png

Kiith wrote: »
    Deserved it? Just a bit harsh there i think. He probably had it for protection, however foolish it was.

And however bad his actions were, the reactions of the crowd are unforgivable. I hope every single person involved in this spends the rest of their lives in the worst prison imaginable. ****ing scum.

I don't think its that harsh, obviously how the crowd reacted was even worse but the ref carrying the knife is what started it all. The ref couldn't get the player to leave the field, how on earth did he think stabbing the player was the right thing to do?? Absolute stupidity from everyone involved including the ref.

Wow. Brazil have spent $14 billion in getting ready for the World Cup, that is disgraceful, so many better ways that money could be spent. No wonder the country is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I agree with you. He brought a knife onto the pitch, and murdered a player with it.

What followed and what happened to him, although highly extreme, was totally down to his own actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

daRobot wrote: »
    I agree with you. He brought a knife onto the pitch, and murdered a player with it.

What followed and what happened to him, although highly extreme, was totally down to his own actions.

My point exactly. It's not as if the crowd were sitting there waiting to jump the Ref. He fúcking stabbed a player and got hit in the face with instant karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

He was hardly carrying a knife for the crack. A lot of parts in Brazil are highly dangerous. Either way, horrible incident.

Doing no favours for Rio next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Wow. Brazil have spent $14 billion in getting ready for the World Cup, that is disgraceful, so many better ways that money could be spent. No wonder the country is a mess.

We spent a whole lot more on a bank bailout atleast they got something tangible for their 14 billion. The country is hardly a mess the people are protesting about injustices we could learn something from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

We spent a whole lot more on a bank bailout atleast they got something tangible for their 14 billion. The country is hardly a mess the people are protesting about injustices we could learn something from them.

At the same time Spain might now think twice before surrounding the ref at the World Cup! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

So that's what happened to David Elleray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My point exactly. It's not as if the crowd were sitting there waiting to jump the Ref. He fúcking stabbed a player and got hit in the face with instant karma.

It was ****ing acts of savagery all around and saying he deserved it is callous in the extreme.

I really wonder about some people on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There's a video of the referee in the hospital on live leak. Pretty gruesome stuff. Doctors just holding limbs and sitting his head back on his neck.
    Regretting looking at it now, curiosity got the better of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

There's a video of the referee in the hospital on live leak. Pretty gruesome stuff. Doctors just holding limbs and sitting his head back on his neck.
    Regretting looking at it now, curiosity got the better of me.

Jesus christ, that video is rough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jesus christ, that video is rough!
    Yep, somebody sent me the Daily Mail link to the article. The video was linked in it. I knew I shouldn't have the moment I clicked it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It seems we can't have one single thread without someone mentioning the bank bailout.

However, comparing the state of Brazil to the state of Ireland is just idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Animals

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

syklops wrote: »
    It seems we can't have one single thread without someone mentioning the bank bailout.

However, comparing the state of Brazil to the state of Ireland is just idiotic.

Not that this is the right forum but potentially brazil has an awful lot more going for it than most countries in the world. Theyve come from a very low base but within 20 years i would suggest your statement will be idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Not that this is the right forum but potentially brazil has an awful lot more going for it than most countries in the world. Theyve come from a very low base but within 20 years i would suggest your statement will be idiotic.

Pertinent football point is pertinent. I really like how the economic rise of Brasil can be linked with their demise in FIFA rankings......

Advertisement