Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Health Insurer

Options
  • 07-07-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

The missus is currently with VHI and has been for a year. Her renewal is due but she's wondering if there is a better company she should be with. Seemingly for some treatments you have to be paying in a minimum of 5 years before you can get it sorted. This is when the condition had started before you joined.

It's not a major condition but she would like to get it sorted sooner rather than waiting another 4 years. She's also of the impression that VHI are expensive. Are they? I'm not with them or anyone myself (I know I know) so am not all that informed of costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bakemate

If your wife needs to get a pre-existing condition treated, she has to wait 5 years from when she first takes out insurance before any insurer will cover her. She will need to get treatment through the public health system while she is waiting.
    New conditions that arise after you join have a waiting period of 6 months from the start of the policy. If she decides to switch after her first year with Vhi, the new insurer will just continue on the remainder of the waiting periods.
    You can take a look at www.hia.ie to compare health insurance plans and find cheaper options. You can also ring them if you get stuck.

Advertisement