Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitlocker

Options
  • 07-07-2013 11:09am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for help recovering a bitlocker encrypted external drive.
    If was created & encrypted using Windows 8, but when I go to unlock it I get a message that the encryption on this drive is not compatible with your version of windows???

I have a recovery key , but can't find how I go about using this to get access back to this drive.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks Torqay,
    Have looked at those. Am I missing something obvious for the first option?
    How do I get to that screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Did you scroll down to Option Two? The first option is to unlock a system drive, you want to unlock a removable drive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's a removable drive. The command line option seems to unlock the drive. Bitlocker shows it as unlocked bit the contents are all encrypted.
    When I try running Bitlocker to go it suggests using Windows 7.
    I'll install that on a partition later and let you know what happens.

That didn't work either.
    The recover spent about 8 hours analysing and then failed without transferring anything.
    Any last suggestions or should I give up on this.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have a read here (he uses RIPLinux and Ddrescue):

http://iboyd.net/index.php/2012/09/08/recovering-data-from-a-failing-bitlocker-hard-drive/

This fellow solved a problem similar to yours. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

I'll have a go at it later. Many thanks.

Advertisement