Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Tony,

Does that mean you are sending me someone else?
    Hi David
    as discussed with your father, our technician was unable to connect to the smart system you had installed on site. The tech, with the help of your father, searched for the connection cables without finding them. Having spend so much on installing a smart system our tech felt it would not be the best option for him to instal a stand alone socket, and this was agreed, again, with your father. The tech provided the number of a local private telecoms technician who would be able to locate and leave suitable connection for us to join. Alternatively you should contact the technician who installed you system and have them leave system connection point.
    Our tech can go back to your site and provide either stand alone socket or can connect to appropriate connection point once you have arranged this.
    Let us know which course of action suits you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Hi Tony, 

If you have been following I have been trying to get this order completed since April. 84 working days and counting. I am a secondary school teacher and having waited in vain all summer for something to be done, your technician finally gets sent out on my return to work.
    Since you brought him up on a public forum, (kind of petty thing to do)my father is in his late seventies and agreed to allow your technician access. When your technician found he couldn't complete the job, he could have
    (a)phoned me,
    (b)written down what was the problem,
    (c)asked to be put in touch with the installer of the smart system,
    (d)left his number so I could have called him back.

Considering the length of time this order has taken, something that might have been better than trying to communicate to me through an elderly relative, whom you now seem to be saying agreed to your technician leaving witht the job incomplete and passing the job to a third party. My dad in his late seventies believed your technician guy was sending someone else. But thats what would have happened with a reputable company in his day, those days are clearly over.

Other than the stickies this is the most read thread on this forum, I have people in my work place who are switching from Eircom as a result of this debacle. I will pursue the manner in which this whole process has been carried out through ComReg till its conclusion. This is substandard service and if any of the posts on this forum are to go on, it's a substandard product too. But hey, you guys have the cushion of a monopoly. 

I'm not paying for a third party call out after 84 days of incompetence from Eircom. Surely you have a technician au fait with smart wiring and can complete the task? 21st century broadband Ireland roll out? Efibre 70 mb? etc you must have someone smarter than the wiring in my house so to speak or maybe that's been the problem all along, you simply don't.

Day 85 : Think a blank space says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Day 85 : Think a blank space says it all.
    Hi David,

The engineer would have installed the standard main socket when he called out which is part of the new installation you ordered.

He could not find the connection to the internal smart system you have set up at the address. As Tony advised if you contact the company who installed the system. Confirm how best to connect it to the telephone line (PSTN line). We can see if our technician can complete the work with that info.

We are are aware of the delay in getting connected and we will look into some measure of rebate but we do not directly support internal set ups so we will do our best to get service connected however we can not give any guarantees about your preferred requirements.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

David Jones, I was just on posting an update to a query of my own on a different thread and clicked on your thread after to have a bit of a read. I really do feel for you, this carry on by Eircom of pass the parcel is very old and part of another era which they unfortunately seem to feel they are still in due to their monopoly position regarding phone line rental.

There is zero communication within Eircom between departments, as an example I recently had a problem with my broadband connection dropping, I contacted my ISP (not eircom, left them over a year ago, another thread on here about the debacle they made of my leaving too though) and of course my ISP had to contact Eircom to report the fault as Eircom control the lines. Eircom cancelled the request with some remark about 'a general outage' and also cancelled the next fault report when that was re-submitted, finally on the third fault report things went quiet for a couple of days, no rejection and the broadband magically started working again in the meantime too.

I Then got a call from an Eircom technician who said he was calling to ask how my broadband was doing as their was a 'fault up the country' and they hoped it was fixed now. I told him my broadband finally seemed fine for about the last 24hrs and asked him what the problem had been. He replied 'it was up the country'...... I replied 'I understand that, just wondering if you found out what the problem was, not where it was'....... he replied 'that's right, it was up the country, up the country'

I then changed tack and asked him if he had any idea of what is going on in our local exchange and he replied ' oh sure we wouldn't know what's happening there, we're the last to know when they make changes there'......... I asked him where he was calling from as it was an 085 mobile number, 'I'm down in the exchange at the moment' he replied!........ says it all I think.

Anyway, not trying to sidetrack your thread, god knows you have your hands full trying to get common sense and common decency at this stage to prevail, I really do hope you get sorted soon and will be following this thread rooting for you.

From what I can see, the only thing keeping Eircom in business is their monopoly on line rental money, with the advent of 4G and increasing innovations in Fixed Wireless Access that revenue stream will sooner or later dry up and that will finally be the long overdue death of this inefficient albatross that has been hanging around the necks of the Irish people for far too long.

• Advertisement

Week 20  86 working days.

Hi "iphone" I appreciate the sentiment, the reality is the stories on this forum are probably a small sample of the wider spectrum of customers that Eircom let down on a continual basis. I would reiterate that I dont blame the customer service reps on this forum, they have one of the hardest jobs, trying to find out what has gone wrong for so many customers. They are vastly more efficient than anyone you speak to on the phone.

Mark I have contacted the company and although they have difficulty believing the issue with the CAT5 cabling they installed,  they are going to draw up a basic schematic so that it should be foolproof for whoever comes to connect it up. I will let you know when I have it and I hope you can send out someone as soon as possible when I do.

As regards rebate, I think if this could somehow be a turning point in how Eircom go about their business that would be enough, I doubt it though. Failing that I just want the broadband to work and to be let out of my contract as soon as possible so I can go to Sky.

Regards

David

Day 91 Week 21 : I arrive home yesterday to find an Eircom bill for the month of September, ironically enough there is no charge under calls, that would be due to the fact I haven't made any as I don't have a working phone line. Given all that has happened it is very very ironic that the most inefficient company I have ever dealt with when trying to get help to get connected and become a customer, suddenly becomes hyper-efficient when it comes to sending me a bill. Didn't take 17 different individuals to work that one out. Perhaps billing personnel should be transferred to operations. 

I will hopefully have a system connection simplified for your technician by this weekend. If not worst case scenario, Im going to to need a technician to come out next week and bring a line in from the outside box on the house to the master socket something I believe Eircom has to do for new connections? Perhaps you can clarify? If that happens, I can retro connect the new master socket to the CAT 5 cabling apparently.

Day 91 Week 21 : I arrive home yesterday to find an Eircom bill for the month of September, ironically enough there is no charge under calls, that would be due to the fact I haven't made any as I don't have a working phone line. Given all that has happened it is very very ironic that the most inefficient company I have ever dealt with when trying to get help to get connected and become a customer, suddenly becomes hyper-efficient when it comes to sending me a bill. Didn't take 17 different individuals to work that one out. Perhaps billing personnel should be transferred to operations. 

I will hopefully have a system connection simplified for your technician by this weekend. If not worst case scenario, Im going to to need a technician to come out next week and bring a line in from the outside box on the house to the master socket something I believe Eircom has to do for new connections? Perhaps you can clarify? If that happens, I can retro connect the new master socket to the CAT 5 cabling apparently.

Hi David Jones

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We can send the information to the engineer (if they have called out) The engineer can then hopefully connect the line to the internal system.

Then we can look into the charges to date. As well as the delay.

Can you send me a private message with the details if they were out last weekend.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

This is better than watching TV!

Day 96 : Start of Week 22. I had to privately pay a technician to come out to the house on Saturday morning. Within 3 minutes he had located the phone wire beside the labelled wires, something Eircom could not do on any visit. After almost 100 days I now have a working phone line. He sets up the modem from Eircom which arrived 10 days ago and I start to believe this nightmare is coming to an end. Then.....

No green DSL light on modem. Tech suggests I call broadband customer support while he is there. So against my better judgement I do. After punching in my phone number and selecting option 3 for broadband help I get through to Graham, who after putting me on hold for 1 minute tells me there is a known problem on the exchange I'm on and it won't be until Monday before a technician can look at it, but it will be repaired soon. I hang up and ring my neighbour who assures me his Eircom broadband is working fine and surprise surprise he is on same exchange.

So my privately paid tech leaves having set up phone line and I call Eircom again. I get through to a girl who tells me that it should be working, line is fine, no mention of exchange problem and it must be a tech issue and she will put me through to tech support. I wait on hold for 9 minutes only arrive back at the automated main menu, I select 3 again and get put through to a guy. I tell him I need to speak to someone in tech support and he says how do you know this and I tell him the previous girl told me I did and I would be transferred but as usual that didn't happen and I ended up on main menu and now him. He puts me on hold for 2 mins and says the problem is with your broadband order and when did I order broadband? I say April and even he sounds surprised and says oh well it didn't go through properly so you will have to hang up and reorder broadband through sales. I explain I have a modem from Eircom and a bill, can't they just "turn the switch on". He says no you have to ring sales.

I call sales I get Anis? I explain customer service told me to phone sales and reorder broadband and he starts to put it through. After he has punched in the details, he tells me I will be waiting 7-10 days for service to begin!!!! Shocked I say can't you just turn it on, I have been waiting almost 100 days,  he says no but ill give you 6 months unlimited broadband free.

These conversations are apparently all recorded so the above is verifiable.

So Mark, Tracey, Tony whoever. I am again keeping Comreg fully in the picture.(in fact they apparently read this thread) This is what I want to happen. Turn on whatever lever/switch is going to give me the 10mb broadband you committed to delivering almost 100 days ago. I want a copy of my original order for broadband from April 2013 signed by whoever. I want that 12 month phone and broadband contract to be backdated from that order and I want to a guarantee in writing that I can walk away next April and go to Sky, a company that actually gives a damn about those who pay for their service. Oh and Anis said on our recorded conversation I could have 6 months unlimited broadband free so please honour that and ill be out of your forum by next April at latest, and you can go back to the unenviable task of fronting the most inefficient company in Ireland.

Can any of you honestly defend what has been happening since April? It is utterly disgraceful and your phone in customer service menu just sends you in circles between auto responses and clearly people who lie to you. Anything it seems to get you off the phone.

Flick the on switch to my Broadband, keep it lit until April and then let me get as far away as possible from your inept company.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Day 96 : Start of Week 22. I had to privately pay a technician to come out to the house on Saturday morning. Within 3 minutes he had located the phone wire beside the labelled wires, something Eircom could not do on any visit. After almost 100 days I now have a working phone line. He sets up the modem from Eircom which arrived 10 days ago and I start to believe this nightmare is coming to an end. Then.....

No green DSL light on modem. Tech suggests I call broadband customer support while he is there. So against my better judgement I do. After punching in my phone number and selecting option 3 for broadband help I get through to Graham, who after putting me on hold for 1 minute tells me there is a known problem on the exchange I'm on and it won't be until Monday before a technician can look at it, but it will be repaired soon. I hang up and ring my neighbour who assures me his Eircom broadband is working fine and surprise surprise he is on same exchange.

So my privately paid tech leaves having set up phone line and I call Eircom again. I get through to a girl who tells me that it should be working, line is fine, no mention of exchange problem and it must be a tech issue and she will put me through to tech support. I wait on hold for 9 minutes only arrive back at the automated main menu, I select 3 again and get put through to a guy. I tell him I need to speak to someone in tech support and he says how do you know this and I tell him the previous girl told me I did and I would be transferred but as usual that didn't happen and I ended up on main menu and now him. He puts me on hold for 2 mins and says the problem is with your broadband order and when did I order broadband? I say April and even he sounds surprised and says oh well it didn't go through properly so you will have to hang up and reorder broadband through sales. I explain I have a modem from Eircom and a bill, can't they just "turn the switch on". He says no you have to ring sales.

I call sales I get Anis? I explain customer service told me to phone sales and reorder broadband and he starts to put it through. After he has punched in the details, he tells me I will be waiting 7-10 days for service to begin!!!! Shocked I say can't you just turn it on, I have been waiting almost 100 days,  he says no but ill give you 6 months unlimited broadband free.

These conversations are apparently all recorded so the above is verifiable.

So Mark, Tracey, Tony whoever. I am again keeping Comreg fully in the picture.(in fact they apparently read this thread) This is what I want to happen. Turn on whatever lever/switch is going to give me the 10mb broadband you committed to delivering almost 100 days ago. I want a copy of my original order for broadband from April 2013 signed by whoever. I want that 12 month phone and broadband contract to be backdated from that order and I want to a guarantee in writing that I can walk away next April and go to Sky, a company that actually gives a damn about those who pay for their service. Oh and Anis said on our recorded conversation I could have 6 months unlimited broadband free so please honour that and ill be out of your forum by next April at latest, and you can go back to the unenviable task of fronting the most inefficient company in Ireland.

Can any of you honestly defend what has been happening since April? It is utterly disgraceful and your phone in customer service menu just sends you in circles between auto responses and clearly people who lie to you. Anything it seems to get you off the phone.

Flick the on switch to my Broadband, keep it lit until April and then let me get as far away as possible from your inept company.

Thanks

Hi David Jones

Can you PM a mobile contact number and best time to give you a call this afternoon please.

Mark

PM sent. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

5 euro says he's about to be told they can't honour the broadband deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

PM sent. Thanks

You would imagine they would at least know your details by now!

PM sent. Thanks
    Hi David Jones

I just to confirm as per your post.

1) The phone service is defiantly up and running (you can make and receive calls)?

2) The system you have set up at the address - Would the modem still connect to the main socket via splitter (did the system technician who called out over the weekend advise of any particular set up for the broadband)?

Mark 

I have a phoneline working, I can make and receive calls. I thought it prudent on Saturday to have that up and running since your technician had difficulty with connection.

There is no special set up required, I currently have modem plugged into a splitter but there is still no DSL green light even when it is plugged directly to phone line.

I have a phoneline working, I can make and receive calls. I thought it prudent on Saturday to have that up and running since your technician had difficulty with connection.

There is no special set up required, I currently have modem plugged into a splitter but there is still no DSL green light even when it is plugged directly to phone line.

Hi David Jones

Thanks for clarifying. Can you confirm when you may be available at the address so I can see if I can arrange a call to your mobile from a senior technical support agent. Given there is a specialised internal set up at the address and try and get the service up and running given the ongoing issues.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Tomorrow from 4pm would be suitable. Other than that it would evenings or weekend. Thanks.

Hi Mark,

Tomorrow from 4pm would be suitable. Other than that it would evenings or weekend. Thanks.
    Hi David Jones

I checked with broadband support and they confirmed it is not a set up issue at present it is a broadband order situation.

So it has been sent to complaints to cancel and re-order and I will keep you posted.

Mark

Ok thanks for update, but can you ensure the re-order is just that, i.e a copy of the April order please. I take it will be another 7-10 days from today then too? 

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for update, but can you ensure the re-order is just that, i.e a copy of the April order please. I take it will be another 7-10 days from today then too? 
    Hi David Jones

I will do my best to expedite the new order. However it may be tomorrow before I have more news in terms of a time-frame.

I will let you know.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Hi Mark, Just wondering if there were any updates on broadband order issues?
    Friday will be 100 working days since original order so would be nice to have it sorted before then.

Kind regards

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Mark, Just wondering if there were any updates on broadband order issues?
    Friday will be 100 working days since original order so would be nice to have it sorted before then.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David

Mark is not in today. I've looked into this and I've no further update available at this moment in time. As soon as I see some notable movement with this I will let you know.

Al

Thanks Al

99 Working days and further updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

this is truly appalling! I hope you have a resolution soon David. Thanks for creating this thread and keeping it up to date.  Based on their current advertisements running on the radio I was thinking of moving to Eircom.  So glad I checked boards first. 

100 days tomorrow. If it is just an ordering issue, surely that's paperwork and button pushing and that can always be expedited if someone is bothered. But then if "operations" are involved.......

100 Working Days since my order was placed in April. There are a lot of things that have been accomplished in 100 Days or less but apparently Phonelines and Broadband are outside that time realm.

Any positive forward moving updates most welcome.

Regards

David

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

100 Working Days since my order was placed in April. There are a lot of things that have been accomplished in 100 Days or less but apparently Phonelines and Broadband are outside that time realm.

Any positive forward moving updates most welcome.

Regards

David
    You could maybe try going to Vodafone, they are able to get Eircom engineers out faster than Eircom can!

Advertisement