Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Well apparently its an ordering issue now, ie the original order in April wasn't processed properly, unlike my first Bill which came last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Sorry to see it's still not resolved.

I was given the impression before that the powers that be in Eircom actually read these threads themselves.

All I can say if that's true is that it makes your situation even more disgraceful.

How can Eircom Senior Management stand over this debacle of dealing with a customer and allow it to continue?

Keep sitting on your hands guys, because eventually you will all be sitting on your asses for a long long time, the writing is surely on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

sadly a contender for legendary threads here.....hope you get sorted soon...

And another week, 22 (but whose counting) comes to an end. Not even a response all day today. 

101 working days start of week 23. Any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

101 working days start of week 23. Any updates?
    Hi David Jones

I know we were talking over twitter this morning. I have been working on getting in touch with the engineers at the exchange to complete the port / jumpering work.

Still waiting on an update.

Mark

Yes Mark thanks for replying on twitter this morning and just to keep the thread readers updated, I received a phone call from Eircom today and now its back to being an exchange problem, not an ordering one as it was last week. The caller advised me of the Broadband helpline number in the meantime, but I advised him that I had been down that route to no satisfaction and in fact the only positive moves from Eircom had come about by this forum and its moderators.  But anyway, apparently we are nearing a conclusion, I have however learnt at this stage holding one's breath could be dangerous.

In other news, I have been sent another modem as well. I have been told to hold on to this one whilst my connection is sorted out. If and when that DSL light turns solid green and stays green, hopefully this sorry mess will be near its end.

Yes Mark thanks for replying on twitter this morning and just to keep the thread readers updated, I received a phone call from Eircom today and now its back to being an exchange problem, not an ordering one as it was last week. The caller advised me of the Broadband helpline number in the meantime, but I advised him that I had been down that route to no satisfaction and in fact the only positive moves from Eircom had come about by this forum and its moderators.  But anyway, apparently we are nearing a conclusion, I have however learnt at this stage holding one's breath could be dangerous.

In other news, I have been sent another modem as well. I have been told to hold on to this one whilst my connection is sorted out. If and when that DSL light turns solid green and stays green, hopefully this sorry mess will be near its end.
    Hi David Jones

I have sent another follow up this morning. There is a problem with the order registering with one of the broadband systems. I don't know when I might a response but I will let you know as soon as I do.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Is that an exchange problem or and ordering problem or a combination of the two? How long more is this going to take?

Kind regards

Hi Mark,

Is that an exchange problem or and ordering problem or a combination of the two? How long more is this going to take?

Kind regards
    Hi David Jones

The engineer is back on site at the exchange today to clarify / fix the issue I will check back with them in a few hours to see if they have a resolution time-frame.

Mark 

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark, I would appreciate that.

Any updates before you guys log off for the night? Still no solid DSL light here. I did get  two versions of a welcome to broadband letter, with two different order numbers though. 

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

I have stopped watching TV altogether now - this thread suffices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Any updates before you guys log off for the night? Still no solid DSL light here. I did get  two versions of a welcome to broadband letter, with two different order numbers though. 

You would imagine some bright spark executive in a flash suit working in eircom,would have had a fleet of engineers at your house to get this problem sorted.

Are these guys really the state broadband provider?

Its no wonder there going out of business if this is how its ran!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

State Broadband Provider alright - just look at the state of the broadband provided.

They probably will use a fleet of engineers to rectify it too - one to open the exchange door, one to make the tea, one to work on the wrong account, one to make sure the bill is posted, one to call to the house to say they can't connect that end because they aren't trained to count more than four wires, a couple to apologise on here.......... Etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

This is pretty crazy. David, have you considered a different company at all?
    As far as I'm aware, you're free to go with any provider that offers DSL broadband. At the end of the day, Eircom still need to connect you if you're not already connected, but you wouldn't have to deal with them directly. They say that ordering directly through Eircom is usually faster, but surely that's not the case here.

Digiweb and Vodafone are two that I can think of off the top of my head. Actually, O2 now offer DSL also, but think you need a business account.
    Here is a number for Vodafone at Home: 1800 805 014. 9am - 9pm Mon-Fri and 9am - 5pm Sat.
    Their Code of Practice that I wave at them whenever I have an unresolved issue:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/?ts=1380173132477

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Xbox Martyr

Just followed and read all the posts on this thread (Night Shift well spent). Unbelievable incompetence. I applaud your patience. Honestly. Customer service is non-existent in this country, but these muppets take the prize. I had one of their reps trying to flog me their latest eFibre on the doorstep last week, which surprisingly doesn't exist in my area yet. Was tempted to treat myself to it as a retirement gift as I'm still in my 30's. I pointed out some of the issues I had with a company that began censoring the Internet long before any High Court case instructing ISP's to do so. Strangely he didn't hang about to sign me up. Anyway I'll keep following this to the end. It beats the s**t out of Fair City at the moment. Best of luck with a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This thread reassures me & no doubt the many others who read but don't post what we already knew & what people have been saying for years - that eircom is absolute rubbish

I f'ing myself grinding my teeth in outrage at the amateur and totally cynical attempts to try to publically give the impression it has been resolved - for the record, comreg are pretty useless too.

I would +1 to why you are signing up with them. UPC do phone & broadband without the requirement for eircom . I'd highly recommend them. A home phone might seem as standard as a fridge but when you think of it, free services like Viber to Viber free calls , skype and FB messaging have made it costly and a but like an eight finger - novelty for the occasional night but mostly just a waste of space. And in your case line rental for the rest of your life.

I'd be doing what 24,000+ people apparently did last year - and just leave them. I'd also be ringing the only person they give a hoot about getting a call from - Talk to me " Joe Duffy" - for service this appalling & to get real results, after 72 days of rubbish & gibberish responses - this is the least of what they deserve. And yiu can be sure their managers will hear the complaint too then.

This thread reassures me & no doubt the many others who read but don't post what we already knew & what people have been saying for years - that eircom is absolute rubbish

I f'ing myself grinding my teeth in outrage at the amateur and totally cynical attempts to try to publically give the impression it has been resolved - for the record, comreg are pretty  useless too.

I would +1 to why you are signing up with them. UPC do phone & broadband without the requirement for eircom . I'd highly recommend them. A home phone might seem as standard as a fridge but when you think of it, free services like Viber to Viber free calls , skype and FB messaging have made it costly and a but like an eight finger - novelty for the occasional night but mostly just a waste of space. And in your case line rental for the rest of your life.

I'd be doing what 24,000+ people apparently did last year - and just leave them. I'd also be ringing the only person they give a hoot about getting a call from - Talk to me " Joe Duffy" - for service this appalling & to get real results, after 72 days of rubbish & gibberish responses - this is the least of what they deserve. And yiu can be sure their managers will hear the complaint too then.
    Unfortunately, UPC still don't provide services in a lot of areas, especially the more rural ones.
    It's gone above the 100 days at this stage. And that's working days.

Appreciate the supportive sentiments everyone. UPC aren't in my area unfortunately. The situation is my neighbour had an Eircom line for years but like me because of poor line quality for broadband was forced to use an o2 usb dongle for terrible broadband. He got Eircom broadband in February and I thought as my o2 contract was up, great time to get a phoneline in(there was little point before as I had a mobile phone and I only wanted broadband with phoneline which at the time Eircom couldn't deliver) and broadband. I phoned Eircom ordered and when I was told initially two weeks, I was kind of shocked as I knew some digging had to take place to connect a line to house, eventually I was assured it would all be done by June 26th and the rest as they say, is history.

Joe Duffy, my local TD, Comreg and Consumer Association of Ireland are emailed regularly but I work Monday - Saturday and couldn't speak to anyone on JD show. Comreg are pretty useless I have to admit, despite a couple of phone calls not a whole lot has happened, unless they are the ones pushing the buttons now.

My other neighbour ordered broadband 10 days ago, got modem, plugged it in and yes it works but the fastest speed so far is 4.9 despite being promised 10mb. So even if I do get connected I am probably no better off after all than the o2 dongle set up. 

Today is working day 104 and apparently an engineer is going back to exchange today to see what the problem is.

I shall keep you posted.

21st Century Broadband in Ireland! Is it any wonder we are beholden to the Germans for everything. I know people in Copenhagen who have 100mb broadband (actual 100mb not promised) We pay through the nose for everything in this country from healthy food to healthcare, from less well equipped cars to more expensive car insurance.

That we are expected to "settle" for every good and service is probably the most disillusioning aspect.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the supportive sentiments everyone. UPC aren't in my area unfortunately. The situation is my neighbour had an Eircom line for years but like me because of poor line quality for broadband was forced to use an o2 usb dongle for terrible broadband. He got Eircom broadband in February and I thought as my o2 contract was up, great time to get a phoneline in(there was little point before as I had a mobile phone and I only wanted broadband with phoneline which at the time Eircom couldn't deliver) and broadband. I phoned Eircom ordered and when I was told initially two weeks, I was kind of shocked as I knew some digging had to take place to connect a line to house, eventually I was assured it would all  be done by June 26th and the rest as they say, is history.

Joe Duffy, my local TD, Comreg and Consumer Association of Ireland are emailed regularly but I work Monday - Saturday and couldn't speak to anyone on JD show. Comreg are pretty useless I have to admit, despite a couple of phone calls not a whole lot has happened, unless they are the ones pushing the buttons now.

My other neighbour ordered broadband 10 days ago, got modem, plugged it in and yes it works but the fastest speed so far is 4.9 despite being promised 10mb. So even if I do get connected I am probably no better off after all than the o2 dongle set up. 

Today is working day 104 and apparently a engineer is going back to exchange today to see what the problem is.

I shall keep you posted.

21st Century Broadband in Ireland! Is it any wonder we are beholden to the Germans for everything. I know people in Copenhagen who have 100mb broadband (actual 100mb not promised) We pay through the nose for everything in this country from healthy food to healthcare, from less well equipped cars to more expensive car insurance.

That we are expected to "settle" for every good and service is probably the most disillusioning aspect.
    Hi David Jones

I am straight back onto the engineer and I hope to get back as soon as I can.

Mark

It's very unlikely you'll get 10 Mbps download, but even if you get up to 6 Mbps, it should be a big improvement over the dongle. Mobile broadband is very handy when you're on the move, but it's not very stable or consistent, and the latency is often very poor. A bigger problem with most DSL subscriptions, in my opinion, is the upload speed. If you get 512 Kbps upload, you're usually very lucky.

I agree, I just object to the advertising of broadband speeds that are never actually reached. If companies were honest and said 6 then you wouldn't feel as cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deanopride1

Dave i have to admit i worked for Eircom during my college years and to say that place is a joke is an understatement and all the admins on here know it. I was employed as a technical support technician and i honestly dont know what to say. There is absolutely no management within the company. Staff do what they want when they want with unqualified team leads trying to manage. I was given a few days basic training and had to complete a stupid exam a monkey would solve( and thats been disrespectfull to a monkey). You are given a headset and you just take call after call. You promise customers you are doing this and that, following up this, checking that but the whole infrastructure of the company is so bad the cases get escalated within the centre and then reach a brick wall. I never ever ever saw one main manager from Eircom come into the centre in all the time i was their and not one case i escalated was i contacted by engineers and told how the case was resolved. Yeah sure there are software system data you fill in but no direct contact to who really matters.
                     There are callers on the board and they just want you to keep taking calls, keep up the figures of calls answered and "who gives a sh*t what actually happens". I say in all honesty i gave up caring myself as i realised the whole place is a joke and i felt terrible that i could not help anybody, i was even told i would be sacked as i gave an elderly man of 90 years his password without getting him to answer 20 security questions, *he answered 19(he could barely remember his date of birth ). At one stage i actually went into a closed building in the Eircom Business Park in Eastpoint, Clontarf.( they had moved everyone into building 2 and building one had nobody in it, lights off etc) I swiped in daily, logged into my computer and sat their doing college work etc. This went on for.....months and they paid me with not one manager checking on me or seeing what i was doing. Eventually they figured out what was going on and i was called into the managers office/ their*team leaders. Before they could even say anything i straight out explained i would happily be walking out the door that day and never returning. I told them there company is a disgrace. It is horrible to work for and they don't care about the poor people on the end of the line. They are only interested in figures, numbers, percentages and NOT YOU. You are in fact a number.
            This post will probably be removed but i promise you i worked there with a friend who went on to start his own IT company out of sheer hatred for Eircom. I believe he lasted a month longer than me and literally just walked out. We still to this day talk about the disaster that is Eircom. I was an employee of Eircom and guarantee you the place is a  powderkeg, im just surprised it hasent blown up yet. This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me god.

105 working days end of week 23. Maybe some good news today?

not looking good...

not looking good...
    Hi David,

The engineer said he needs to physically change the port at the exchange REF: 5284859CH

I have advised him of the whole history and he said it may be the 03/10/13 before the service is up and running. However I said I will get back to him on Monday to see if there is anything he can do to complete the order sooner.

Mark

Ok Mark thanks for update. 4000+ views 23 weeks and counting I guess. 

Ok Mark thanks for update. 4000+ views 23 weeks and counting I guess. 
    Hi Dave,

I really wanted to get back with better news, I will follow up with you next week.

Mark

• Advertisement

Well at least this thread and others probably explain this. Save you money on a think tank as to why. 

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/eircom-broadband-earnings-full-year-results-1102647-Sep2013

Advertisement