Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brushing teeth.

Options
  • 07-07-2013 12:11pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭

Our guy is nearly 2 and doesn't want to brush his teeth before bed. Doesn't want to do it any time actually. How do i make it easier on both us and him? He hasn't got them all yet, doesn't get sweets, but would eat us out of house and home for fruit, especially raisins. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Strawberry flavoured toothpaste and similar is what I'd suggest since he likes fruit.

Also, make a big deal out of how 'clean & sparkly' his teeth are after he cleans them. Lots of positive attention when he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My boy was around the same age when he finally succumbed to teeth brushing. I brought him into the bathroom every morning and evening when I brush mine (or pretending to) and he eventually wanted to do the same.
    Agree with poster about making a big deal about clean sparkly teeth. Also, you can take him to shop and choose his own toothbrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I bought my little girl a hello kitty toothbrush (she adores hello kitty) and some first stages toothpaste (think it's strawberry flavour) which helped the process a lot! We brush our teeth together so she can copy the actions I make. I'd say the teeth are only half brushed in the front, and not at all at the back, and half the toothpaste is actually swallowed rather than spat out but I feel good thinking I'm establishing a life long process!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Try telling him/her that its what big boys/girls do. My 2.5 year old would do anything to be a 'big girl', also occasional threats of no breakfast without brushing your teeth etc helps. Another tip we found useful to make it more fun was to keep a little cup the bathroom that she can take some water in, and she then spits into the bath, trying to topple the little penguin sitting at the bottom of the bath. Less brushing and more spitting these days, but she's getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I say that older kids she loves brush their teeth & you want lovely clean teeth like them, also do things like - is there a monkey in your mouth etc? I'll have to brush him out. Don't use toothpaste as she's not 2 yet & its not recommended.

She used to love the Elmo Brush Your Teeth Song on youtube & would allow us to do a proper clean, but then got bored of it. Great if you haven't tried it yet. She's teething her back molars at the min and regularly say her teeth are sore, so no wonder she's not keen on brushing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Maybe try a star chart or something? Or a little cute sandtimer that he has to brush his teeth right till the end of the timer; you can brush with him?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiley-Sand-Egg-Timer-minute/dp/B008H6EY42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373468495&sr=8-1&keywords=sand+timers+for+children+teeth

Advertisement