Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Surgery

• 07-07-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Wednesday i noticed that my cat was drooling quite a bit, but put it down to the hot weather (she lies in direct sunlight).

Friday gone, i noticed her tongue barely sticking out of her mouth, so i had a look and discovered that she had a growth of some sort in her mouth around one of her teeth. I drove her straight to the Vet, and he diagnosed it as a benign tumor (apprarently common in old animals). He gave her an injection.

She's due in tomorrow morning for surgery to have it removed. The Vet said he will give her a mild general anaesthetic (she's 19). I've barely slept since Friday.

Has anyone been in similar situation, would you say i'm worrying over nothing, that this is a starightforward procedure even for an old cat?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

poor you, what a worry. But you know your vet wouldnt give her an anaesthetic if he didnt think she was able for it. Hope it all goes well - if its just a little growth near her tooth, the anaesthetic will be very light - let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

aonb wrote: »
    poor you, what a worry. But you know your vet wouldnt give her an anaesthetic if he didnt think she was able for it. Hope it all goes well - if its just a little growth near her tooth, the anaesthetic will be very light - let us know how it goes.

The growth is quite large, about the size of the top of my thumb, she's been eating and drinking fine, so hopefully its not causing too much pain.

Have to take away all food and water from her at 7.00pm tonight. Surgery is at 9.00am, i'll be able to collect her in the evening the Vet said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hope all goes well John, it's always a worry when they go to the vet, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for puss.

collected my cat in the last hour, she's right as rain. Eating and drinking, just a little drowsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

johndoe99 wrote: »
    collected my cat in the last hour, she's right as rain. Eating and drinking, just a little drowsy.

Good for her :). Vets are magic!

• Advertisement

Update:

Saturday i noticed the growth had came back, we brought her again to the Vet, this time they have said its cancerous. They released her back to us as she's still herself, eating and drinking etc. But they said, the only way to tackle it would be to remove part of her jaw, gums, teeth etc, but they wouldn't recommend it at her age.

So she's on tablets now, but i guess its just a waiting game now, cause as soon as it begins to hinder her, i'll have to bring her in to be put to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

So sorry to hear than Johndoe. I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

I hope you enjoy what time you have with her and fit in plenty of kitty cuddles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Sorry you got such bad news. I know it's no comfort but 19 years is a good innings for a kitty, in fact it probably makes it even harder that you have had her around for so much of your life. Losing a pet in any circumstance is difficult.
    Enjoy the time you have left together.
    I know when my cat went missing (found out later a dodgy local had 'accidentally" knocked her down) I was devastated. I found her personality to be so sweet and unique to her. I never replaced her, as I felt that would be somehow 'disloyal'. 2 years later another neighbour asked me to take in a tiny kitten, and she has my heart now, but i'll never forget my last cat either.
    Best wishes and I hope you can enjoy the time you have left together. Such a sad story :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry to hear about puss. I suppose the only consolation is that you can make the most of the time you have left together. Puss must have had a wonderful life to reach such a fine age.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Really empathize with your situation as I too am a very big lover of our feline friends, having had our tat Carmen for the past 11 years.
    Enjoy her, talk and cuddle with her. Spoil her rotten and pander to her every desire. Take a day off work just to enjoy her if you can, tell her how you feel. I sometimes think they can even understand what we say. It was devotion, love and care from YOU that got her to this great age. Pity there are not more compassionate people like you in the world.

• Advertisement

just an update, brought my cat to the vet this morning, had her put to sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

johndoe99 wrote: »
    just an update, brought my cat to the vet this morning, had her put to sleep.
    Sorry for your loss; no words can ever properly convey feeling of the loss to someone who's not gone through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

So sad for you loss, John... You tried all you could do, you can't regret anything.
    She's in Cat's Heaven now, she will look after you like you did for her.
    A kiss to your cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

So sad for you loss, John... You tried all you could do, you can't regret anything.
    She's in Cat's Heaven now, she will look after you like you did for her.
    A kiss to your cat!

yeah I'm in agreement with this post, if you have looked after your animals in this life they will look after you in the next, op you wont have bad luck only good luck and of course good memories.
    wow 19 years of age, the eldest cat I ever came across was 17 and ive seen thousands of cats in my travels.

Advertisement