Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tanning accelerators? - Please help

• 07-07-2013 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I am heading to Spain for a week and I want to get a really good colour safely. Is there any product on the market that I can put on to speed up the production of a tan.

I have heard about things like carrot oil and Australian Gold but I'm not exactly sure what it is I am looking for.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you are pale like most Irish, then using carrot oil would only burn the bejaysus of you. Better I think to use a high factor and either go to beach or go walking, rather than staying by a pool. Tanning takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

You can get suncream with carrot extract, don't know if you can get it here but I got some in Spain a few weeks ago. Factor 20, so no burns and a nice natural tan! I'm very pale usually, so I started off with factor 30, then moved down to that cream and it worked out well. There's a Nivea tan maximiser range which is also quite good, used that before and got a sunkissed look while wearing factor 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I like using P20 as my sunblock as it allows your skin to tan without burning. Then at night as after sun I use those tanning moisturisers- my favourite is the Garnier one but there are loads out there.

Tanning is a long process though and unless you tan easily then I wouldn't be expecting a huge change in your colour in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I use the beta gold tablets. They really work. I was in 115 degree heat last week and after taking these I was not burned at all. In fact, I normally wear P20 al;l the time but had to switch to factor 15 just to get a tan!

The p20 is great as it is waterproof and lasts ages. One thing though - dont put it on your face - if it gets in your eyes it stings like hell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I use the beta gold tablets. They really work. I was in 115 degree heat last week and after taking these I was not burned at all. In fact, I normally wear P20 al;l the time but had to switch to factor 15 just to get a tan!

I assume you mean 115 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

yeah :) sorry was in the US they seemed to always use fahrenheit. It was around 40 celcius every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Hydrated skin will cope better with exposure to sun. Avoid alcohol when you are in the sun. The Lancaster after sun tan maximiser is quite good and you can buy it in the duty free or onboard a lot of airlines. It is quite pricey though. Eating things with plenty of beta carotene also helps, so carrot juice, spinach, turnips are all good to eat and start before you go away

Don't use the Australian gold as this is for sunbed use and using it for prolonged periods in natural sunlight could have disastrous effects

Also avoid direct sun exposure between 12 and 3 each day. It might sound strange to say avoid the sun at its hottest when you want to get a tan, but sitting in the sun during this time will only dehydrate you and your skin and you are more likely to burn or scorch your skin. Even if you get a tan it never lasts as long.

I lived in Turkey for several years and saw the silly things people do to get a tan. It really isn't worth it if you end up burnt to a crisp or worse on a drip for sun stroke. It is a surefire way to ruin your holiday. Take it easy, only actively tan in the mornings and evenings, drink loads of water and use plenty of sun screen. Your tan will take longer to develop but will last longer when you get home. And don't forget, when you are away you always think you are still pale but when you get back to gray Ireland you will realise that in fact you got a lovely tan.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Little Ted wrote: »
    Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Hydrated skin will cope better with exposure to sun. Avoid alcohol when you are in the sun. The Lancaster after sun tan maximiser is quite good and you can buy it in the duty free or onboard a lot of airlines. It is quite pricey though. Eating things with plenty of beta carotene also helps, so carrot juice, spinach, turnips are all good to eat and start before you go away

Don't use the Australian gold as this is for sunbed use and using it for prolonged periods in natural sunlight could have disastrous effects

Also avoid direct sun exposure between 12 and 3 each day. It might sound strange to say avoid the sun at its hottest when you want to get a tan, but sitting in the sun during this time will only dehydrate you and your skin and you are more likely to burn or scorch your skin. Even if you get a tan it never lasts as long.

I lived in Turkey for several years and saw the silly things people do to get a tan. It really isn't worth it if you end up burnt to a crisp or worse on a drip for sun stroke. It is a surefire way to ruin your holiday. Take it easy, only actively tan in the mornings and evenings, drink loads of water and use plenty of sun screen. Your tan will take longer to develop but will last longer when you get home. And don't forget, when you are away you always think you are still pale but when you get back to gray Ireland you will realise that in fact you got a lovely tan.

Enjoy your holiday!

Thanks for your answer and the effort put into it. I am quite sallow anyway but I just want to make the most out of the few days. Just one thing, you said Australian Gold can have disastrous effects if used for prolonged periods in natural light - why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

because it is designed for use on sunbeds where you have a controlled amount of UV exposure. Putting that on your skin and going into natural sunlight for hours would be akin to putting baby oil on you and going into the sun. The main ingredient of these products is oil, so if you use it even with a sunscreen you will be seriously risking severe sunburn. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Perhaps on of their tan extenders in the evenings would be ok, but personally I think you would be mad to use any of these products in natural sun. Wait until you come home to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Thanks for your answer and the effort put into it. I am quite sallow anyway but I just want to make the most out of the few days. Just one thing, you said Australian Gold can have disastrous effects if used for prolonged periods in natural light - why?

The ozone layer only blocks so many UV rays from the sun, you need appropriate products to help protect your skin from the UV rays which reach the Earth's surface. The sun's rays also cover a broad wavelength range (hence the term "broad spectrum coverage" in good suncreams), and cheap/not good enough sun products don't cover some of this range leaving you open to suffer from the harmful effects. Australian Gold (as said in another post) is designed for controlled environments, where the light is within a certain wavelength.

Aside from sun burn, sun stroke, and premature ageing, another thing that can (and does) occur from sun exposure is skin cancer. Preventative measures are the only way to avoid these things (minimum of SPF15, broad spectrum protection).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet#Harmful_effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

My 2 cents- there is no such thing as a "safe" tan it's all skin damage/ageing. Use fake tan instead

Advertisement