Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a garden wall

Options
  • 07-07-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Can anybody tell me how many blocks i would need to build a garden wall 165 feet long and 8 blocks high and also how much concrete i would need for the foundations thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Might give you an idea of whats needed :

http://www.source4me.co.uk/calculate_brick_block_mortar.php

http://www.matchingbrick.co.uk/calculator.html

As usual, someone who can do it would give much better advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

JD1KENOBI wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me how many blocks i would need to build a garden wall 165 feet long and 8 blocks high and also how much concrete i would need for the foundations thanks in advance

I assume you mean 50m in length x 1.8m in height

Block on edge there is 896 blocks

Concrete in a foundation 300 x 150 would be 2.25m3

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JD1KENOBI

If thats what it works out at in meters then fair enough thanks its a surrounding wall for my back garden so its one big rectangle shape

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just a few points here, although your question has been answered, the following would also need to be considered.

1. The calculation is only for blocks from GL upward, there is no account of sub-ground blocks.
    2. Has a foundation been designed? If so what profile size?
    3. Assuming you use the figures given your foundation will be flush with the top of the ground, therefore the bottom of the foundation will still be in top soil!
    4. There's is no account for piers or wastage, reinforcement, etc.
    5. If your garden wall is also a boundary wall, you can't let the foundation overshoot the boundary, ie., specific design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Just a few points here, although your question has been answered, the following would also need to be considered.

1. The calculation is only for blocks from GL upward, there is no account of sub-ground blocks.
    2. Has a foundation been designed? If so what profile size?
    3. Assuming you use the figures given your foundation will be flush with the top of the ground, therefore the bottom of the foundation will still be in top soil!
    4. There's is no account for piers or wastage, reinforcement, etc.
    5. If your garden wall is also a boundary wall, you can't let the foundation overshoot the boundary, ie., specific design.

Also, I did only answer the question that was raised but I would not recommend anyone to build a wall 50m in length without pillars and also I would not advise anyone to build a wall 1.8m in height out of block on edge construction. It should be block on flat which will double the amount of blocks and you will need to allow additional for pillars every 5m or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JD1KENOBI

Fair play tom

i have planned on putting in support pillers and the other things you mentioned , sub level blocks i know about that sort of thing was looking for a rough idea of materials needed what measurement width by hight would you recomend for a standard foundation the wall is not one long straight wall its actually three walls standard rectangle kind of shape there will be cavities used at end of garden where the tree walls meet as a base for a shed thanks for your time

Advertisement