Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water / Juice

Options
  • 07-07-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

When is ok to start giving boiled water / juice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

You can give cool boiled water in their bottle any time.
    Dont give juice st all as it its their teeth. If you really want to give jui e dilute it with water 1:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks.

Yea I meant the juice you dilute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I started giving my fella cooled boiled water around the time I started him on some solids (4 mths). He didn't really go for the water much for ages, I'd say it was a good few months before he'd do more then spit it back at me.

I wouldn't bother with juice, diluted or otherwise, as water is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My little man is 15 weeks and has taken cooled boiled water since week 1. Wasnt too interested in it up until recently. Seems to prefer the water to formula in this weather. Taken 3oz water throughout the day aswel as taken 3-4 oz of formula per feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My little one (20 weeks) didn't have much interest in water until yesterday....drank 8 ounces in one sitting....poor kid was thirsty so more water more frequently I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Water is all children need in addition to formula/breast/other milk. Juices are full of sugar and have no real nutritional benefit. I hate seeing small children and babies slugging away on bottles of juice, its such a bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I think we started given our little fella water around the same time we started him on solids.

Don't give juice. very bad for their teeth.

Also don't give sweets. They don't know what they are so give them fruit as a treat instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

It's ok to give juice in a sippy cup, not in bottle as bad for teeth.
    My little fella gets juice in a sippy cup from time to time just for variety otherwise just cool boiled water in his bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If baby is breastfed water is pretty pointless up until they start solids as they get all of their hydration needs in the breastmilk and the mother's body alters the milk depending on the outside temperature to make sure they are getting the right ratio of nutrition to hydration.

Juice can serve a purpose if the baby is constipated as it can get things moving again. But don't bother with dilutable 'juice' drinks. Just a drop of regular juice in a small cup of water will work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I never gave my little guy juice at all.. water and milk is all he drinks..

He sees me and his Dad drinking water all the time and thinks it's the best thing ever..

He gets plenty of vitamins in his veggies and I give him chopped up fruit to eat too..

I think the longer you can keep them off the sugary drinks the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Fruit is acidic too, so keep eye on the teeth brushing if baby/child eat alot of fruit, can be just as bad as juice.

Advertisement