Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT WEATHER. ALLLLLL THE WEATHER. WEATHER WEATHER WEATHER

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The best heat is canned heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    We're just not used to it, absolutely rubbish, up there with it's too cold to snow

Not rubbish at all, my parents live in Spain was there a couple of weeks ago and it hit 27 one day, didnt feel as warm as this at all as there was hardly any humidity. Dry heat is more tolerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

up there with it's too cold to snow

You beat me to it :)

The higher the humidity the hotter it seems (all else being equal)
    We had humidity of about 60% yesterday, when the humidity is high, it's not any hotter, but our cooling system (sweating) doesn't work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We're just not used to it, absolutely rubbish, up there with it's too cold to snow

Would you say 30 degrees in a range oven is more or less tolerable than 30 degrees in a steam room?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

most of it is to doing with adjusting/expecting the heat aka physiology

i remember in morocco when it was 51 fcuking degrees outside that walking into an air conditioned room at 25 degrees felt like walking into the artic!

its the same here...were going from like 14/15 with rain and wind to BANG! suddenly clear skies at 25 with little wind, its the sudden change and lack of preperation, thats all

*excluding the facor of humidity which varies entirely from place to place*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Humidity makes a difference. Something we freaking have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The reference would be usually when comparing heat in different zones such as the heat in Florida, very humid to the heat in the Sahara, very dry, the two types would feel very different because of the humidity and the effect on sweating as a cooling process of the body.

Too cold to snow, absolute zero would be too cold to snow, however, the description probably refers to the very cold frosty nights/cold days when there is a stable temperature zone making it unlikely for precipitation to occur. More detailed explanation here http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/too-cold-to-snow/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most Spanish holidays take place on the coast so there's a nice cooling breeze.

It can feel very hot in Ireland with all that moisture raising out of the ground it's like you're being steam cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'll give it about 2 more days before people start murdering each other in the office corridors :)

Can't end soon enough for me, get back to the pubs for drinking instead of garden BBQs and the off-license

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Dfmnoc wrote: »
    I'd often hear people say its a different kind of heat in other country's

For instance if some one goes on holidays to the likes of Spain and its 40 degrees there they would say it was like having 25 degrees in Ireland.

Is there any truth to this or is it were just not use to it?

I was in Boston last week, and it was 30 degrees and humid. It was absolutely suffocating and horrible, and it was almost impossible to sleep - fans did NOTHING.

I'm in Madrid now, and the temp tops out at 40 degrees. But as long as you stay out of the sun and heat of the late afternoon, it's not that bad (and even then, sitting under an umbrella and having some tinto de verano in a plaza somewhere makes it all better). You can't so much in the afternoon anyway because so many places close for siesta. Plus the older buildings are designed to maximize airflow and keep cool.

The big difference is the humidity: it was 25% in Madrid, but 75% in Boston (which is, admittedly, unusual). Plus Madrid is very high altitude, so the air is clear and fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Its all about the dew point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Ireland is humid. And it's hardly a myth that less humid places seem more comfortable at higher temperatures. It's how the bodies cooling system works. We sweat not to lose water in heat -- in fact that's a bit dangerous on its own -- but to reduce heat on the body by evaporation. That effect is fairly significant. Try spraying a highly evaporative liquid on yourself, or just step out of water in a hot non humid climate. You will shiver with the cold.

With increasing humidity that effect fails to work. In places more humid and hotter than Ireland it's almost unbearable -- I'm thinking of you Mexico 2011. On the other hand Death Valley is bearable although it is the hottest place in the world - the problem there is that 40 degrees feels like 25 here because you are sweating buckets and you can dehydrate very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Still makes your balls all sweaty and stuck to your leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The chilled section in Dunnes is a great place to take a breather on days like today, as I've just discovered.

Was tempted to just lie on the floor til someone called the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I echo the sentiments of other posters in this thread who've highlighted the significance of humidity. To keep cool, we need to evaporate the water from our bodies, as it gives a cooling soothing effect. Humidity vetoes this process thus making temperatures feel much higher than they would otherwise feel.

Thus, the temperature we feel is not the same as the temperature that it is. For example, a relative humidity of 75% at 26.8 degrees Celsius would feel like 28.7 degrees Celsius at 44% relative humidity. So when we travel to different countries such as Morocco, Iran, or otherwise, they may have a very low humidity which allows us to perspire and hence evaporate the sweat - which is much more comfortable than being in a large Spanish city such as Madrid with a very high level of humidity and effects that large cities have such as trapping heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MarkY91 wrote: »
    how can anyone possible complain about this beautiful weather? go to the beach and enjoy your lives :L

Because some of us have to, you know, work? Long day in an office that's two warm and your reward a sweaty uncomfortable commute home all after a restless night of tossing and turning unable to sleep with the heat.

Bring on the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I echo the sentiments of other posters in this thread who've highlighted the significance of humidity. To keep cool, we need to evaporate the water from our bodies, as it gives a cooling soothing effect. Humidity vetoes this process thus making temperatures feel much higher than they would otherwise feel.

Thus, the temperature we feel is not the same as the temperature that it is. For example, a relative humidity of 75% at 26.8 degrees Celsius would feel like 28.7 degrees Celsius at 44% relative humidity. So when we travel to different countries such as Morocco, Iran, or otherwise, they may have a very low humidity which allows us to perspire and hence evaporate the sweat - which is much more comfortable than being in a large Spanish city such as Madrid with a very high level of humidity and effects that large cities have such as trapping heat.

Morocco isn't a good example because it humid near the coast. After all, they need humidity to grow cannabis and that where most of the British Isles' cannabis comes from. East of the mountains, the humidity is significantly lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The humidity is my only issue, but it's better than the weather we got last July.

We Irish should be jumping at opportunity to get a suntan instead of being a bunch of pastey-skinded uglies.

As opposed to what? Skin damaged uglies? Jumping at the chance to ruin out skin? Newsflash - there's nothing at all wrong with having pale skin. I have super pale skin and I'm not what I'd consider "an ugly" and have no desire to
    Break out the carrot oil in order to de-pale myself.

Morocco isn't a good example because it humid near the coast. After all, they need humidity to grow cannabis and that where most of the British Isles' cannabis comes from. East of the mountains, the humidity is significantly lower.

Morocco is a big country with more than just coastal effects.

Marrakesh is considerably inland with a humidity of only 10% today. Should you go further in-land to the Sahara, this makes the 40 degrees very tolerable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Madrid is apparently not a good example either!

• Advertisement

Madrid is apparently not a good example either!

It depends, I've been there many times and found the city-effect and humidity considerably worse.

Countries in East Asia would probably be the worst but I'm hazarding a guess there (and in tropical regions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

As opposed to what? Skin damaged uglies? Jumping at the chance to ruin out skin? Newsflash - there's nothing at all wrong with having pale skin. I have super pale skin and I'm not what I'd consider "an ugly" and have no desire to
    Break out the carrot oil in order to de-pale myself.

Ruin your skin? Why, did I instruct you to crawl into a gigantic cheese grater or something?

Pale skin is ugly. The majority of white people with 20-20 vision find pale-skinned people ugly, with their purple veins protruding through their skin. It's revolting.

I never mentioned anything about carrot oil. I'm not using any, unless you have some sort of fetish for carrots (what you do with your private life is none of my business). I'm just encouraging people to get an hour or two of sunbathing a day.

Ruin your skin? Why, did I instruct you to crawl into a gigantic cheese grater or something?

Pale skin is ugly. The majority of white people with 20-20 vision find pale-skinned people ugly, with their purple veins protruding through their skin. It's revolting.

I never mentioned anything about carrot oil. I'm not using any, unless you have some sort of fetish for carrots (what you do with your personal time is none of my business). I'm just encouraging people to get an hour or two of sunbathing a day.

So you can speak for the majority of people with 20-20 vision then? Great, what gives you this ability to do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

People should really learn to use deodorant and wash themselves occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Once spent a night in Bangkok....twas hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just coming back from Germany, it was a bit cooler over there.

Can't stand the heat either, have some low blood pressure already, feel much better with that in the winter.

Apart from that, you can protect yourself against the cold with decent clothes, but against that heat out there? Moving to Alaska maybe? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    People should really learn to use deodorant and wash themselves occasionally.

I do... But its not easy smelling like a skip an hour after a shower and sweating literally as you get out. 42 hour anti persperant my arse. I get a few minutes tops. -_-. And i refuse to wast water on three showers a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Pale skin is ugly. The majority of white people with 20-20 vision find pale-skinned people ugly

A majority of white people voted for George W. Bush for a second term.

Speak for yourself or maybe shut up.

Are we really gonna fight about skin colour. Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sorry I obviously missed the memo where looking like an old leather handbag was the key to looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

It's so nice out. I'm out in the garden in my summer dress :) water balloon fight and paddling pool keeping me cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have to get out of this heat. Going cinema. Hope they have air conditioning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Great day at the beach, long may it last

After the winter we had....we deserve this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I think I've actually heard more moaning and whinging from Irish people about the current heatwave than praise for it!

FFS, are people ever happy in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

think this ones been done to death today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'd type a longer reply but this fúcking heat is killing me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Could ya not of posted this in the big thread already made about the weather no??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In before this thread melts...

...into the weather thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

if its warm its too warm

If its cold its too cold

WTF is it with Irish people and complaining

In before this thread melts...

...into the weather thread.

I want to slap you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

People moaning about people moaning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I love going out in the heat, getting a little bit of tan and all, but when I'm trying to get to sleep it's absolute hell, just can't do it, too hot. Probably because we don't seem to have air-conditioning in this country because 50 weeks of the year it's unnecessary.

Stop moaning about moaners. Am I now moaning about people moaning about people moaning at things?

If someone moans about me moaning about people moaning about people moaning about things does that make them a person who moans about a person moaning about people who moan about people who moan at things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Stop moaning about moaners. Am I now moaning about people moaning about people moaning at things?

If someone moans about me moaning about people moaning about people moaning about things does that make them a person who moans about a person moaning about people who moan about people who moan at things?

Moanception

• Advertisement

but I do not like the heat I prefer the cold

Leave the computer.
    Go outside.
    Have an ice-cream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I think I've actually heard more moaning and whinging from Irish people about the current heatwave than praise for it!

FFS, are people ever happy in this country?

Never! A bunch of Fair skinned Nerds! Stay Indoors and drink some water:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Go outside. Have an ice-cream :D

I've eaten more ice lollies in the last two days than I have in the last 10 years. :)

They've included:

Rocket lollies (3/4)
    Plain orange lollies (4/5)
    Pineapple Polly (2)
    Mr Snowman. (1)

• Advertisement
Advertisement