Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vague moderation

Options
  • 07-07-2013 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

I received a three day ban from the rugby forum for responding to a poster I was told not to respond to until the "end of the Lions tour"

Now I did respond to the poster again, but it was after the final game of the tour, which I took to mean the end of the tour

I emailed the mod in question, justsomebloke, and expressed my displeasure with being banned for ignoring mod instructions. He has refused to retract the ban despite the very subjective nature of the initial warning

I put forward that the ban was not called for considering the last game of the tour had ended (which I think most people would take as the end of a tour), and that if the original warning had been more precise I would not have responded until that time and therefore would not have been banned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Just wondering what the story is here. Ban is up but I still think it was unjustified

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry for the delay, but I am currently on holiday with limited access

I appreciate the ban is now up but one of the Sports CMods will still have a look at it when we get chance

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I've had a quick look at this but have not had chance to speak to the mod in question.

However I note you acknowledge you were instructed by a mod not to respond to the other poster until "the end of the Lions tour"

TBH I really don't think how "the end of the Lions tour" is defined really matters in this case. I note several responses to the poster in question in various threads relating to the Lions tour in the day or two leading up to the ban. I also note that you decided to take your responses to the poster in question (their ID is not relevant to this appeal) to two other forums that you did not previously frequent. I note that you received a one day site ban for this behaviour (which you did not dispute).

One of the forums involved was in the Sports category, and TBH you are lucky not to have been banned from the whole category for that behaviour (it's not as if you were showing any wider interest in the forums in question).

The fact you chose Lions threads to start "challenging" the other poster in the Rugby forum is a clear sign that you went against the "spirit" of the mod instruction regardless of the "letter". I'm not going to accept an appeal on the semantics of exactly when the tour ended. The mod exercised his discretion in this case as you clearly continued to try and take pot shots at the other poster.

I am therefore upholding the ban.

You may ask for an Admin to review this decision should you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, I've had a quick look at this but have not had chance to speak to the mod in question.

However I note you acknowledge you were instructed by a mod not to respond to the other poster until "the end of the Lions tour"

TBH I really don't think how "the end of the Lions tour" is defined really matters in this case. I note several responses to the poster in question in various threads relating to the Lions tour in the day or two leading up to the ban. I also note that you decided to take your responses to the poster in question (their ID is not relevant to this appeal) to two other forums that you did not previously frequent. I note that you received a one day site ban for this behaviour (which you did not dispute).

One of the forums involved was in the Sports category, and TBH you are lucky not to have been banned from the whole category for that behaviour (it's not as if you were showing any wider interest in the forums in question).

The fact you chose Lions threads to start "challenging" the other poster in the Rugby forum is a clear sign that you went against the "spirit" of the mod instruction regardless of the "letter". I'm not going to accept an appeal on the semantics of exactly when the tour ended. The mod exercised his discretion in this case as you clearly continued to try and take pot shots at the other poster.

I am therefore upholding the ban.

You may ask for an Admin to review this decision should you wish

Nope it's ok. You're probably right, and I was being bitchy at the time of this appeal. I do think the rugby mods do a great job and although my own behavior can be far from stellar when I get wound up it's something I plan on rectifying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks, folks.
    Marking this as resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement