Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help connecting wireless printer

Options
  • 07-07-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I 'inherited' a wireless printer from my sister but can't get it to connect my laptop
    my IT skills are pretty basic
    so I've gone into the control panel and selected 'devices and printers' and went into 'add a printer' and tried to search for this printer ... no joy
    I've turned the internet off and tried again, once back on ... still no joy

I have no cable to manually connect it

I have asked sister if there was a disc that I need to run to install the printer but she maintains no

I have no experience of wireless printers apart from those on the network at work and I've had no problem finding them to connect before

what am I doing wrong? what do I need to do? really need to print stuff off by tomorrow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I 'inherited' a wireless printer from my sister but can't get it to connect my laptop
    my IT skills are pretty basic
    so I've gone into the control panel and selected 'devices and printers' and went into 'add a printer' and tried to search for this printer ... no joy
    I've turned the internet off and tried again, once back on ... still no joy

I have no cable to manually connect it

I have asked sister if there was a disc that I need to run to install the printer but she maintains no

I have no experience of wireless printers apart from those on the network at work and I've had no problem finding them to connect before

what am I doing wrong? what do I need to do? really need to print stuff off by tomorrow

Is it possible it's bluetooth technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

wouldn't have a clue
    its a bog standard hp wireless

there is a blue light flashing on it which says 'wireless'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

wouldn't have a clue
    its a bog standard hp wireless

there is a blue light flashing on it which says 'wireless'

I would think it uses bluetooth check the printer specs on google

will do thanks
    can I ask the next very stupid question then

what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Perhaps if you told us the make/model we could help further.

From my experience of HP wireless printers (assuming it's a couple of years old if you got it as a freebee ? ) the setup involved a cdrom and the computer connected via USB in order to apply the wireless settings. After that it's painless enough.

Ken

• Advertisement

its a Hp deskjet F4580
    yeah its a couple of years old

I really think I need a CD to install it first but sister doesn't have a clue - i'd imagine her then boyfriend set it up for her :-)

ETA

Will have to get back onto her and get her to look again for that disc I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have a look here, there's a link to the driver and installer.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jimboy2011

Check hp site for the printer driver , thats what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

you need to connect it to your home wifi network first

ok thanks guys
    think i'm on the right track
    thanks a mill !

• Advertisement
Advertisement